Been a long time, hasn't it?

  • Small Beer Press / LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10 1:07 PM
      Table of Contents

      1. Oh, Happy Day: Awards News
      2. Exquisite Memoir: And Now We Are Going to Have a Party by Nicola
      Griffith
      3. More New Releases: A t-shirt and two prints
      3. Meet Us: P&S at Wiscon 31
      4. Last Copies: Mecca|Mettle by Thomas M. Disch and Bl��dHag;
      "Postcards of Doom" by 30 illustrators
      5. Upcoming Projects: Matthew Hughes and Thomas M. Disch

      ***

      Yes, that Table of Contents is actually from the Payseur & Schmidt
      newsletter, which you can subscribe to here (http://
      payseurandschmidt.com/mailing.shtml) and is full of interesting books
      that you should snap up because they are 1) beautiful 2) wow 3)
      unique 4) not usually reprinted 5) must be encouraged so that they
      keep this crazy stuff up long enough for us to finish our Epic poem
      on the Post Industrial Age titled Wooden Wheel Types, A Spoken History.

      This week is a biggie for Small Beer, too. It's Alan DeNiro week at
      the Lit Blog Coop (http://lbc.typepad.com), Monday was the
      publication day for Endless Things, yellow tulips came up then were
      eaten by bunnies in the backyard, and Generation Loss received a
      stunner of a review in the Washington Post (and a starred review in
      Booklist: buy, librarians, buy!). And we are trying to remember the
      recipe for LCRW. More on this stuff (and more) below. More. Losing
      the meaning now. More.

      We post more often now here: http://lcrw.net/wordpress/ In fact, this
      will be posted there soon.

      Hot! We are planting fruit trees. How about you?

      Another TOC

      Liz Hand
      John Crowley
      LCRW
      Interfictions
      Laurie J. Marks
      Kelly Link

      ++++++

      Generation Loss is the first book we've published by Elizabeth Hand.
      Yay! It is dark, unremitting, looks at art and says What the Hell?
      and pops a few pills on the way. Is Maine weird? Sometimes.

      Liz is about to go out on tour. Hear her here: http://
      www.elizabethhand.com/2007/gen_loss.mp3
      Interview on Bookslut: http://www.bookslut.com/features/
      2007_05_011056.php
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/03/
      AR2007050301965.html
      http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2007/04/
      book_notes_eliz.html
      http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20016465,00.html

      Read some: http://lcrw.net/hand/hand-excerpt.htm
      Tonight: Thursday May 10 7 PM
      Olsson�s, 7th Street NW, Washington DC 20004, 202.638.7610

      Thursday May 17 7 PM
      Artifacts, 28 North Maple Street, Florence, MA 01062, 413-320-9480
      �reading with John Crowley, Paul Park,& others, & music from Flora
      Reed & Philip Price (of the Winterpills). Books supplied by Amherst
      Books. (Named Best Bookstore of New England by Boston Magazine.)

      Friday May 18 Time TBA
      Hiram Halle Memorial Library, 271 Westchester Avenue, Pound Ridge, NY
      10576, (914) 764-5085

      Saturday May 19 2 PM
      Borders, 162 E Main St., Mt Kisco, NY 10549, (914) 241-8387

      Wednesday May 23 7 PM
      Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138,
      (800) 542-READ

      Megan Sullivan of Harvard Book Store recommends Generation Loss in
      the Boston Globe:
      �This smart, dark, literary thriller will keep you up at night. A
      photographer who has been drinking, doing drugs, and alienating
      everyone around her since the �70s goes to Maine to interview a
      legendary photographer and gets caught up in the case of a missing
      girl.�

      Saturday Date to be confirmed
      Sherman�s Books, 8 Bay View Street, Camden, ME 04843, 1-207-236-2223

      BookExpo America
      Jacob Javits Center, New York City
      Signing: Sat. June 2, 12-12.30 PM
      Reading: Sun. June 3 10.30 AM (Foreword Second Stage)

      June 23+24
      Maine Festival of the Book, Portland, ME (Reading and panel participant)

      +++++++

      John Crowley's 4-part novel Aegypt is completed in Endless Things, a
      beautiful book that manages to end many strands of story without
      being elegiac or closing down the narratives -- a feat few authors
      could handle and few readers of the series might have believed. It is
      a deep, sometimes hilarious, and hopeful novel that readers will be
      able to dig into and enjoy for long stretches of the summer.

      The cover is an irresistibly attractive photograph by Rosamond
      Purcell from Bookworms:
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=1593720238

      John reads (with Sarah Langan) at KGB Bar in New York City on May 16:
      http://lcrw.net/kgb
      and on the 17th at Artifacts in Florence (Northampton), MA:
      http://lcrw.net/smallbeer/calendar.htm

      The first three books in the Aegpyt series are being reprinted in
      trade paperback by the Overlook Press beginning in autumn.

      Reviews of Endless Things:
      http://www.bookforum.com/beha_may.html
      http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_crowley_endlessthings.html
      Das Book:
      http://lcrw.net/crowley/

      +++++++

      Want to see some neat art coming out of the Vermont Center for
      Cartoon Studies? Here's a neat site from Colleen Frakes and Jon-Mikel
      Gates: http://www.cowboyorange.com/
      We went up for a visit (in a snow storm, hard to believe now) and
      were blown away by the concentration of good art and artists. We'll
      post more links as time goes by.

      +++++++

      Alan DeNiro's collection Skinny Dipping in the Lake of the Dead
      (http://www.lcrw.net/deniro) is the Spring Read This! Pick (thanks,
      Pinky of http://www.pinkyspaperhaus.com!) this week at the Lit Blog
      Coop (http://lbc.typepad.com).

      If you loved the book or hated it, go tell them, link to it, post
      about it and then post about your post and call your local radio and
      tell them. These Lit Bloggers are the book reviewers of today and
      tomorrow and they are looking to talk to the whole interewebs -- and
      get the internet talking. Their combined voices (and individually on
      their blogs) are an interesting strand in the cross-all-genres
      conversation of the moment.

      One part of our contribution is an interview with Alan recorded while
      he was in town for the UMass Amherst Juniper Festival (he's a good
      reader and a great panelist, please consider adding him to you
      festival!). We waited until Alan was hungry, tired, and looked like a
      greyhound, then got out the difficult questions. (Alan's signature
      drink it...?)
      Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EdC6LW8Qs

      +++++++

      LCRW links

      The new one is in the pot and getting ready to boil. Or something.
      The latest store to add LCRW to its backroom stores:

      Magers and Quinn Booksellers
      3038 Hennepin Ave. S.
      Minneapolis, MN 55408

      Which is a great and groovy store.

      The Best of LCRW is on track for a September release from Del Rey.
      Wacky, no? It should be called The Best of LCRW (So Far), but that
      didn't fit on the jacket. So please write that on the cover (or title
      page) when you get your copy. It is an excellent book, or at least
      the parts not written by us, are brilliant. Will the world be shaken
      when it comes out? It will shake with joy at Dan Chaon's
      introduction. Then it will be assigned to classes and become part of
      the Harold Bloom-approved Western Canon. Then kids will start writing
      haiku as protest and we will be first up against the wall when the
      revolution comes. We will escape on our jetpacks. We don't know what
      future you're living in, but in ours: we have jetpacks.
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9780345499134

      +++++++

      Huge local event!

      http://www.google.com/calendar/event?
      eid=YnBsNnB0YmE5Y2p0aHY2YnNsMGo1b3FqYmMgcWEwZDJvZTdtZ2Z1YjZhbGc3bW9qNGsy
      dHNAZw&ctz=Etc/GMT

      A Speculatively Spectacular Evening with:

      Elizabeth Hand (Generation Loss)
      John Crowley (Endless Things)
      Paul Park (The White Tyger)
      Flora Reed & Philip Price (of the Winterpills)
      & a selection of interstitial material (i.e. in the breaks) from
      Michael DeLuca, Jedediah Berry, Diana Gordon, &c.

      Celebrate spring with Small Beer Press�s Speculatively Spectacular
      evening of art, readings, music, and perhaps a little more. Beginning
      at 7 p.m. on May 17, the event will be held at Artifacts, a new
      gallery at 28 North Maple Street in Florence, MA. Artifacts is housed
      in a converted warehouse, where guests will be able to meet the
      authors, listen, dance if they are so inclined, and mingle as three
      bestselling authors showcase their latest offerings.
      John Crowley (Endless Things), Elizabeth Hand (Generation Loss), and
      Paul Park (The White Tyger) will headline the event. Crowley, who
      lives in Conway and teaches at Yale, and Hand, who lives on the Maine
      coast, will be reading from their recently published novels (see next
      page for reviews). Park, who teaches at Williams College in
      Williamstown, Massachusetts, will read from his latest novel, The
      White Tyger.
      A variety of other local authors will read their work, including a
      number of contributors to Small Beer Press�s tiny lit zine, LCRW.
      The evening will be topped off by Flora Reed and Philip Price (of
      the critically-acclaimed Winterpills[http://www.winterpills.com]),
      who will provide musical entertainment.
      Guests will be expected to peruse the art, be polite to the authors,
      provide good conversation, and, on leaving, remember where they
      parked their jetpacks.

      When: Thursday, May 17, 7 PM

      Where: Artifacts
      28 North Maple Street
      Florence, MA 01062
      413-320-9480

      Art: Appropriately for Maine author Elizabeth Hand�s post-punk lit
      thriller Generation Loss, Artifacts will hold over the photographs
      from Susie J. Horgan�s Punk Love.

      Music: Flora Reed & Philip Price (of the critically-acclaimed
      Winterpills http://www.winterpills.com/).

      Refreshments: Will be provided. As will seats, walls, windows, and
      doors.

      Tickets: This is not a ticketed event and entrance is free.

      Books: The authors� books will be available on the night at a table
      manned by stalwart booksellers from Amherst Books.
      http://www.amherstbooks.com/Events/eventsMay2007.shtml

      http://www.lcrw.net

      +++++++

      Interfictions

      Ther first Interstitial Arts Foundation anthology is out online and
      in the real world. 19 new stories at a buck a piece plus a freebie�
      you read it and tell us here (http://interfictions.blogspot.com/)
      which story is the the bonus one! The authors include newer writers
      as well as a few who are more well known. Adding to the depth of the
      book are three translations -- one each from Spanish, French, and
      Hungarian -- which goes a tiny way to filling the translation gap.

      The authors involved are: Anna Tambour, Catherynne M. Valente,
      Christopher Barzak, Colin Greenland, Csilla Kleinheincz, Holly
      Phillips, Jon Singer, Joy Marchand, K. Tempest Bradford, Lea Silhol,
      Leslie What, Matthew Cheney, Michael J. DeLuca, Mikal Trimm, Rachel
      Pollack, Vandana Singh, and Veronica Schanoes.

      We recently did a giveaway for copies of Interfictions (http://
      lcrw.net/iaf/). Copies went to the following readers who will paint
      or sing their reviews on subways near you:

      Hannah Wolf Bowen
      Bob Scheffel
      Hyowon Kim
      Nin Harris
      Steph Burgis

      Look out for (or instigate) interstitial events in the summer months.
      More at these sites:
      http://interfictions.blogspot.com/
      http://lcrw.net/iaf/
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781931520249

      +++++++

      It's Mother's Day in the USA on May 13th. Isn't that nice? Aren't you
      going to send her chocolates? Or books? Especially as the US postal
      rates rise the next day. Seems like a great opportunity. Here's one
      idea:

      The mother of all Mother's Day gifts--Mothers and Other Monsters.
      Anyone can send Mother's Day flowers. Mother has always said you
      aren't just anyone.
      A book for everyone who has ever had a mother.
      Celebrate the little monster in every mom.
      Mother's Day flowers wither and candy melts. But with proper
      storage, Mothers and Other Monsters will last forever.

      http://lcrw.net/mchugh/

      +++++++

      Laurie J. Mark's third Elemental Logic novel, Water Logic, is the
      first novel we've published in a fantasy series. So, they must be
      good, right? Yes. They're right up your street. They're smart, sexy,
      and political. These books use some of the familiar tropes of
      pastoral fantasies, but they don't rely on them. It's not a standard
      military fantasy series, it's subversive and electric. Good things
      happen. Bad things happen, too. The costs of magic are high.
      If you haven't been reading and want to dive in, start with Fire
      Logic then Earth Logic. Water Logic, coming in June, is a knockout.

      Laurie J. Marks is a Guest of Honor (with Kelly) at WisCon 31. We
      will have a launch party with special Things to go to those who buy
      the book -- pre-orders will receive the one that is easier to mail.
      (More on these secret things later.)

      Laurie has recorded a podcast (ahem) of the first chapter:
      http://lauriejmarks.com/audio/water-logic-chap1-1-marks.mp3
      http://lauriejmarks.com/audio/water-logic-chap1-2-marks.mp3
      or you can read it here: http://lauriejmarks.com/water-logic-
      excerpt.html

      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/preorder.htm
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781931520232

      Laurie is reading in Albany, June 16, 2007, at Flights of Fantasy
      Bookstore, 488 Albany-Shaker Rd, Loudonville, NY 1221.

      If you work at a bookshop and are interested in a reading copy of
      this, send us an email!

      +++++++

      Are you playing this game? http://www.worldwithoutoil.org

      +++++++

      Secret giveaway for the readers who go this far. How about you tell
      us which book you want? We will say no and come back to you with an
      offer of a Peapod Threesome for a review of at least one? A couple of
      these sets (tied up in a pretty ribbon) are available. Love to hear
      from you sweetie.

      +++++++

      Live in Australia? Or somewhere else? Or, nowhere, you ghost, you?
      How about this:

      Independent Publishers - The Brave New World
      Join Gavin Grant (Publisher of the US-based Small Beer Press) at 12
      noon AEST on Tuesday 15 May to discuss the dynamics of US,
      international, and independent publishing.
      http://blog.awmonline.com.au/2007/05/09/independent-publishers-a-
      brave-new-world/Log in here; http://awmforum.server101.com/index.php?

      +++++++

      Ah, respite.

      +++++++

      Link links

      Missed Kelly on her tour last September? Catch up with her now-not-so-
      super secret Authors@Google visit with Karen Joy Fowler: http://
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPmq-gprbs

      This week Nancy Pearl included Magic for Beginners in one of her NPR
      lists (online, not on the radio): Under the Radar: Books Not to Miss,
      saying, "It's intricate, wildly imaginative and totally wonderful."
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9255546

      Kelly sold a young adult collection to Sharyn November at Viking. It
      will contain many of the stories she has been publishing in young
      adult anthologies as well as one new story and, since this is her
      first young adult collection, a couple of stories from her other
      books. (This last because her previous collections contain stories
      like Catskin which make it hard for some adults to give to young
      adults.) Should come out next year and will be followed by a tour
      (with support from the reformed Guns'n'Roses (shhh, it's a secret)
      and the usual Today Show for Kids, Young Letterman!, and other age-
      appropriate media.

      Kelly is a Guest of Honor (with Laurie J. Marks) at WisCon 31. (Hope
      to see you there!) www.wiscon.info

      Kelly will also be at BookExpo America, Readercon, Worldcon in Japan,
      a Best of LCRW reading at KGB, World Fantasy in Saratogo Springs in
      November. Un so weiter.

      This is the best way to keep up: http://lcrw.net/smallbeer/calendar.htm

      +++++++

      We alphabetized our Shopping page which might make it easier to use.
      Do tell if and when you are unhappy with our website: http://lcrw.net/
      lcrw/shopping3.htm

      +++++++

      Exeunt.