20 Years After and the answer is still Howard Waldrop.

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 6:33 AM
      20 Years After: Howard Who?

      Shipping now, baby:

      Twenty years ago (isn't it a shock the first time you say that about
      something in your life?) the world stopped laughing at Ronnie Reagan for a
      minute and lined up to get a copy of Texan wunderkind Howard Waldrop's first
      novel, I, John Mandeville.
      Waldrop, after six years on the job said, "You know what? Not yet." (All
      quotes complete hearsay.)
      Iconoclastic Waldrop, determined to be the one guy in his generation to
      live off his fiction income (seriously) instead offered up to hungry readers
      his debut short story collection, HOWARD WHO?, which burned up the charts
      for two years in hardcover but then somehow we don't quite know why and it's
      probably one of those conglomerate finicky things that even if it were
      explained we wouldn't get it: Doubleday forgot to put the book out as
      paperback.
      Readers wept. Libraries found all there copies never came back. Time
      capsules were dug up just in case they held copies. Book dealers put nice
      protective Brodart jackets on their rare-as-dodoes copies and financed their
      kids' education on the back of them. Wars were fought.
      Twenty Years After (not just the title of an Alexandre Dumas novel, you
      know) and Here is the paperback. (Not Here on your email. Although, since
      there's an ebook edition, suppose it could be.)
      Twelve stories filled with smarts, kicks in the pants, a real knowledge
      of the world and the way those naked monkeys (and robots) act their way
      through the day.
      Go fishing in the Slough of Despond. Watch the world end in the days
      before you were born (not talking to you, Methy old boy). And always always
      come back to the ugly chickens. _So_ close....
      Howard Waldrop, HOWARD WHO? · ISBN 1931520186 · $14 trade pb · $9.95 ebook

      Get your copy with all the original introductions and new groovy art from
      Kevin Huizenga:
      http://www.lcrw.net/peapod/waldrop/index.htm
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#peapod

      ¿Howard Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhho?

      Alan DeNiro's book is a [insert adjective here and here] Book Sense Pick for
      August!

      SKINNY DIPPING IN THE LAKE OF THE DEAD: Stories, by Alan DeNiro "This is a
      great debut collection of loopy, off-the-wall, and
      still-somehow-packing-emotional-weight stories; DeNiro can weld words into
      some mighty strange configurations."
      --Caleb Wilson, Davis-Kidd Booksellers, Nashville, TN

      Yeah! Shout out for the booksellers and hope they get it into some readers'
      hands.

      http://www.lcrw.net/deniro/index.htm

      ¿Howard Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhho?

      A Few Small Things

      It being summer and a little hot for all this.
      Brothers of the Head, a film, starts Friday. The premiere was in New
      York City last night and certain people snagged invites so sneaked down for
      a quick in and out the city visit.
      Why are we writing about this flick? David Bowie is on the soundsystem
      and the novel by Brian Aldiss always seemed to owe him a debt of some sort.
      Also, we recently watched Entourage (thanks Theo!) making going to a
      premiere irresistible.
      Brothers is set in the UK in the 70s. It's a dark, strange and often fun
      film reminiscent of Iain M. Banks's The Wasp Factory. The filmmakers, Pepe
      and Fulton, made Man of La Mancha and seem interested in unusual projects.
      The music was good, the twins who play the eponymous Brothers (connected at
      the chest!) are great and they're surrounded by a pretty good cast. The
      character arc of the minder was fantastic.
      There was an after party filled with beautiful people (and Bass and
      Jameson's -- excellent) where the music was being felt more than heard (you
      know that bass-in-the-chest thing).
      It opens in NY and LA Friday and if you don't live there then it should
      be in your town real soon. Go see. It's different.
      http://www.brothersofthehead.com

      Review of Firecracker by Sean Stewart (Perfect Circle under it's UK alias.)
      "Evocative and economic at the same time. More please."
      <http://www.computercrowsnest.com/articles/books/2006/nz10318.php>
      Well, we're just saying if you want more watch out for Cathy's Book, ok?
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=076242656X

      There were more reviews out there. But we are inefficient and playing with
      the tiny letterpress (not the big one, not for a bit yet) we may miss them.
      Feel free to email us about any reviews you read. Or write. We read a lot.
      We write a lot less. Despite the over-verbiage of this occasional
      newsletter.

      Oran Mor

      When in Glasgow we were lucky enough to not only get to the bar Oran Mor a
      couple of times (hello Phil, Neil, Ross, Nicola, Kentucks) and the place is
      fabulous enough to make Glasgow shoot up the list of possible places to
      live. Here's writer and artists Alisdair Gray on Oran Mor:
      "In 2003 Colin Beattie, Glasgow publican and property developer, bought the
      former Kelvinside (Botanic Gardens) Parish Church building, which had stood
      derelict for several years and began turning it into a leisure centre called
      Oran Mor ­ Gaelic for Great Music."
      http://alasdairgray.blogspot.com/2006/07/oran-mor-leisure-centre.html

      Thriller

      Need a present for someone who needs a thrilling tale?
      An aside, first, before another book is pushed from the top of this
      stack along the synaptinet from our heads to yours. Why do thrilling tales
      thrill? The word is just a lisp attached to small stream.
      Anyway, get with The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen, the second of M.
      T. Anderson's Thrilling Tales which are hilarious (and have great illlos by
      Kurt Cyrus).
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=0152053522

      ¿Howard Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhho?

      Kelly Link readings at lovely bookshops and so on

      Kelly Link is teaching the final two weeks of the Clarion East workshop with
      Holly Black.
      They read on July 26th, 7 PM at the Capital Area District Library, 401
      S. Capital Ave, Lansing, MI 48933 517-367-6363

      Aug. 2, Archives Book Shop, 517-519 W. Grand River, East Lansing, MI 48823
      Aug. 10, 6:30 -- DreamHaven, 912 W. Lake St, Minn, MN 55408 (612) 823-6161
      Kelly will be Guest of Honor August 11-13 at Diversicon, Bloomington, MN.
      Special Guest at Diversicon is Bryan Thao Worra who has published poetry
      in an incredible number of journals and will be leading discussions and
      screenings of the horror films Shutter, Ju-On and The Eye, as well as
      sessions on Southeast Asian creatures of folklore and myth and
      cryptogeography, examining 3 mysterious locations in Laos.

      http://diversicon.org/
      http://members.aol.com/Thaoworra/

      Kelly's book comes out in paperback soon from Harcourt. Yay! She will be on
      the west coast in September. That's a long time from now, so enough on that.
      More here: http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/calendar.htm

      Also, should you be on the west coast tonight, you have the chance to go see
      Shelley Jackson read from her new novel Half Life:

      July 26, 7:30 PM -- Powells, 1005 West Burnside, Portland 503-228-4651
      July 29, 7:30 PM -- Elliot Bay Books 101 South Main St, Seattle 206-624-6600
      More here: http://www.ineradicablestain.com/latest.html

      ¿Howard Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhho?

      Howard Who? Did you forget already? Howard Waldrop!