Serenading on a Thursday with Books

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      · Sean Stewart Personalizing Books Sunday
      · Take Your Time
      · Next Book Up: Alan DeNiro + Readings
      · Mothers & Other Monsters Reading Group Guide
      · Stuff to read, other things, Awards
      · LCRW is new and fresh again
      · One After That: Howard Waldrop
      · Kit Kat time
      · Books What We Have Liked Recently

      Sean Stewart will personalize your book on Sunday

      Sean Stewart will be in the office July 1st (yay!) and besides quizzing him
      about secret projects he can't tell us about anyway, we've asked him to sign
      copies of Mockingbird and Perfect Circle. If you'd like Sean to sign either
      or both to you or someone else, order now.
      $24 for both: http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/notajournal.htm (shipping frrree
      within the US + Canada):

      - We first saw Sean's new project thing a couple of years ago at Book Expo
      and have been sitting around doing nothing else but hug our knees until it
      came out. Look at that cover. This is another really enjoyable story from a
      writer who just gets better and better each day. Grab a copy early and get
      in on the game.
      Especially recommended for anyone who played The Beast or I Love Bees or
      who likes young adult books or stuff like Veronica Mars:

      Sean Stewart & Jordan Weisman, Cathy's Book: If Found Call 650-266-8233

      Other books we have publicated which are available signed but not
      personalized (please request signed in the comments box) by:

      - Alan DeNiro, Carol Emshwiller, Ursula Le Guin, Kelly Link, Jennifer
      Stevenson, and Kate Wilhelm.
      - Signed chapbooks: Richard Butner, Mark Rich.

      take your time. there's a lot of text ahead and some of it even carries
      information and moves the plot ahead. some skimming is to be expected but
      it's better to read a little now, chew 33 times, and come back for the rest
      rather than trying to gulp it all down at once. indigestion of the head does
      not make us pretty.

      Our genius new book

      Coming up to release date (a Saturday of course!) for Alan DeNiro's amazing
      debut collection Skinny Dipping in the Lake of the Dead.

      Alan's in a class of his own (although if you live in Minneapolis you can
      sometimes take classes from him) and the collection builds as it goes along
      until it culminates in the mind-blowing "Home of the" which encapsulates the
      past, present, and future of Erie, PA. And more and more and more.
      Some exciting surprising news on this one to come July 6. Ooh. (Yes, Mel
      Gibson is making a movie of the 1st story, "Our Byzantium." All true.)

      Alan wrote a hilarious reading and drinking guide for his book which can be
      downloaded as a PDF here:

      Alan is also popping over to the east coast for a couple of readings. Most
      of the Small Beer team will be at these, come by and say hi.

      July 7-9 -- Readercon 17, Burlington, MA
      10, 8 PM -- Amherst Books
      8 Main Street
      Amherst, MA 01002 · 413.256.1547 · 800.503.5865
      -- Also an LCRW Launch Party!

      11 -- Porter Square Books
      Porter Square Shopping Center
      25 White Street
      Cambridge, MA 02140 · (617) 491-2220
      -- Reading with Theodora Goss (In the Forest of Forgetting)

      18, 7 PM -- Magers & Quinn
      3038 Hennepin Avenue S
      Minneapolis, MN 55408 · (612) 822-4611 [reception afterward]

      August 19, 1-2 PM (Signing only) -- Northern Lights Books and Gifts
      Duluth, MN

      29, 6:30 PM -- Dreamhaven Books
      912 West Lake St.
      Minneapolis, MN

      October 27-28 -- Loft Festival for fiction writers, Minneapolis, MN

      -- Indefatigable John Klima points out that Alan DeNiro's story "A Keeper"
      is available to read.

      Maureen F. McHugh's Mothers & Other Monsters is a Cleveland Plain Dealer
      Recommended Summer Reading pick: "Unpredictable and poetic work."

      We've added the Reading Group Guide which can be found in the paperback
      edition. Please forward to to all your friends in book clubs. Heh.

      * The Evil Stepmother: An Essay
      * Author Interview by Gwenda Bond
      * Talking Points

      These three parts of the whole can be gotten in a pretty PDF version, too:

      Stuff to read, other things

      "The Perfect Man" by Lauren McLaughlin
      Design-your-own boyfriends lack that certain something. Until they don't.

      - For Chicago readers from the Chicago Sun-Times (cough, books by Jon
      Courtney Grimwood, Molly Gloss, cough):

      > Have a favorite book? Send us your name, address and phone (we won¹t publish
      these) along with your occupation, an email address and 100 words on your
      favorite book published within the past year. Email your information along
      with a jpeg photo to books@suntimes.

      - Bugger bugger bugger. Clovis Press, lovely zine and bookstore in Brooklyn,
      has closed. Apparently the landlord is going to rent the place out to some
      (nice...) people who will put in a cheese shop. Bugger. Here's a wacky post
      about the closing by a former worker and another about it and the arson of a
      building in Greenpoint and some history of the scary landlord (not the same
      landlord as the bookshop). Clovis carried LCRW for ages and sometimes even
      paid for it which was nice. Should probably send it to Spoonbill and
      Sugartown, nice bookshop across the street. Bugger. Awesome rude good-bye

      Break for a Kit Kat. Or a hop soda. Or the spicy vosges chocolate bar. Now
      that's a treat. Latest LCRW (see below) went out with
      http://www.scharffenberger.com and we have plans for the next one that will
      be nicer. All this chocolate is really research.
      We have thunderstorms. How about you?

      Lots of Award News since we last wrote:

      Locus Awards

      Congratulations to all the winners which included the following:

      * Best Novella: "Magic for Beginners", Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners, F&SF
      * Best Anthology: The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 18, Ellen Datlow, Kelly
      Link & Gavin Grant, eds. (St. Martin's)
      * Best Collection: Magic for Beginners, Kelly Link (Small Beer Press)
      * Best Non-Fiction: Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of
      the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Kate Wilhelm (Small Beer Press)

      Congrats to Carol Emshwiller who received her second Nebula Award for her
      story "I Live With You" (after "Creature" in 2003). And of course to Kelly
      Link whose stories "The Faery Handbag" and "Magic for Beginners" both
      received awards.
      Also, Holly Black's excellent YA novel Valiant won the inaugural Andre
      Norton Award. Congrats to everyone on the ballot.

      Young Lions

      Congratulations to Uzodinma Iweala whose Beasts of No Nation won the 6th
      Annual Young Lions Award (and was a Time Book of the Year and won the L.A.
      Times Book Award).
      The three nights were a total blast and thanks and congrats go out to
      the Young Lions organization for putting it all together.
      On the awards night Famke Janssen (...!) read an excerpt from Kelly's
      story "The Hortlak" -- which, with the line about the city still burning in
      her eyes, made a lot of sense. Great reading. Terrance Howard and Ethan
      Hawke (a cofounder of the award) also did lively readings from Rattawut
      Lapcharoensap's Sightseeing, Ander Monson's Other Electricites, Eric
      Puchner's Music Through the Floor. Wow.
      The next night was the Young Lions Fundraiser. A drinkie was had
      beforehand which was smart as reinforcement was necessary to survive the
      night. Tres fancy. The set were all out in Roaring 20s splendor (or, 20s
      Splenda: just as sweet, a fraction of the calories, and not quite natural)
      and lovely it was to see. After a relaxed dinner (veggie options, yay!) all
      the finalists danced until the place got closed down -- excellent stuff,
      although odd how as the night went on the music got older. Hmm. Perhaps
      playing to the crowd? Dance, dance, revolution, but without the revolution
      thing. A surreal week for other awards to emulate!

      LCRW 18

      New issue of LCRW (18, wherein LCRW can drink, drive, vote, and fight. Wait,
      can't drink...) [Literature Crystallizes Robin Wings] Hit the Bandstands
      (yes, it is entirely made of music and can be hummed) in June.
      We are actually sort of getting it together and having a launch party.
      Next time at the laundry, this time a Amherst Books. Alan DeNiro will read
      then there will be reading from the zine, then there will be beer drinking.

      July 10, 8 PM -- Amherst Books
      8 Main Street, Amherst, MA 01002 · 413.256.1547 · 800.503.5865

      June 2006 · $5 · 60 pages · Black & white with handtinted woodblock cuts by
      famous and unknown artists. Printed on a 12th century Chinese letterpress on
      sheets of kelp-paper handmade by centaurs and sprites. Unattractively bound
      in the skins of dead animals. Alternately: attractively bound in more
      handmade paper, these sheets fairly traded from The Mysterions: Those Who
      Live at the Center of the Earth.

      Some people wondered where the car fuel economy figures quoted within LCRW
      18 came from. Some came from research done by Erik, one of der interns.
      Otherwise, the best resource was the Vehicle Certification Agency site.
      None of the cars seem to get over 70 mpg, but check the 61-70 range and
      you'll see a ton of cars by Toyota, Nissan, Smart (which start selling here
      within a year or so -- send us a demo and we'll blog it!), Citroen, Renault,
      etc. etc. Lovely, comfy cars of the future.

      Two Notes

      1. LCRW comes out twice a year. Should you wish a third issue, please send
      us a check for $500. That issue will be the Your-Name-Here Issue. It will
      also be numbered for our simpler editors.

      2. A new literary award. We believe everyone is special (even those people
      who don't read -- or write for -- LCRW, but this award is not for them).
      Here is the press release:

      June 2006, Northampton, MA. LCRW and Small Beer announces The Eponymous
      Award, given to all writers on publication in LCRW of their writing. So, Bob
      Smith has been awarded the Bob Smith Award for Fiction Writing. Jane Smith
      has been awarded the Nonfiction Award. D.K. Smith has been awarded the
      Poetry Award. You get the idea.

      David J. Schwartz -- Play
      John Schoffstall -- Errant Souls
      Becca De La Rosa -- This Is The Train The Queen Rides On
      Scot Peacock -- Diabolique d'amour
      Stephanie Parent -- In Ophelia's Garden
      Will McIntosh -- Followed
      E. Catherine Tobler -- Threads
      Matthew Lee Bain -- A Half-Lizard Boy
      Peter Bebergal -- A Static of Names
      Sarah Micklem The Fabricant of Marvels
      Angela Slatter -- The Juniper Tree
      Jeannette Westwood -- Crimson-lady at the Auction, Buying
      Fred Coppersmith -- At Uncle Ogden's House
      Michael Emmons -- A Message from the Welcomer
      Veronica Schanoes -- Swimming

      Jenny Benjamin-Smith -- Two Poems
      Sunshine Ison -- Two Poems
      Tsultrim Dorjee -- Son of a Bitch

      Erik Gallant -- Music Reviews
      Gwenda Bond -- Dear Aunt Gwenda
      [Name Withheld] -- Article Withdrawal
      William Smith -- The Film Column
      Zine Reviews

      cover art · Emily Wilson

      Good news for Elaine: Elaine Chen, who painted the mockingbird and hand
      piece for the cover of Sean Stewart's Mockingbird, has been nominated for a
      2006 Prix Aurora Award (Artistic Achievement). The nomination is for the
      body of work Ms. Chen produced in 2005. The awards ceremony takes place in
      Toronto, July 7-9, 2006.

      Howard Who? is at the printer.

      You can imagine what fun we've been having with our reprint of Howard
      Waldrop's first collection. This is the unofficial 20th anniversary edition.
      If you are exactly 20 years old (email us your ID) we will sell you this for
      $20 instead of $14. And throw in another paperback for free. But you have
      the burden of proof on your age. If you're faking (and I'm talking to
      Christopher Barzak here), we will cut you off from buying any more of our
      books. And you will be sad.

      Where you can meet, greet, and buy Howard Waldrop a beer this year. The man
      says these are the only places he's going. Our Peapod edition of Howard Who?
      should be at these convention things:

      August 11-13 -- Armadillocon, Austin, TX
      World Fantasy Con, Nov. 2-5, Austin, TX.

      That thing linked to above is the real and actual Howard Who? cover. A crap
      condition hardcover of this book can be got for a bit more than the price as
      our upcoming pb, but you wouldn't get Kevin Huizenga's Ugly Chicken drawing!
      On Bookfinder, ABE, etc., it runs about $40 for a nice non-library copy, and
      Elliott Bay, B. Brown, and others have it up around $125 for a fine/fine
      signed copy.
      Catch Howard at one of these conventions and you can get him to sign
      your copy there. (Or email us we'll take some there and get them signed or
      This book should shoot out once word gets around. It's 20 years old but
      this is alt. hist. fic. so the stories aren't dated, if anything they're
      just more heartbreaking, more harsh. Was "Horror, We Got" really published?
      Damn. Should send it out to blowhards and talking heads and step back and
      watch them get all head-explodey.

      - An interview with Kevin Huizenga who did the cover for Howard's book:

      "But also I could mention that my mother really inspired a love of reading
      in me. I really devoured books growing up ‹ a lot of it was sci-fi junk and
      Stephen King and Tom Clancy, but good stuff too."

      - A wacky thing from Jed Berry who helped retype Howard Who? Check out this
      Chinese magazine that stole one of his stories. At last, he has been
      published in "Crazy English Reader!"

      Stories and other things

      Kelly Link's latest story, "The Wizards of Perfil", can be found in the
      anthology Firebirds Rising, edited by Sharyn November:

      - Kelly will be reading in west coast bookshops in September. In August she
      is Guest of Honor(!) at Diversicon in Bloomington, MN

      Gavin J. Grant's latest story: "We Are Never Where We Are":
      - Also, "Softly with a Big Stick" is reprinted in Cecilia Tan's new
      anthology Sex in the System:

      Jim Sallis and excellent band:

      Bear discovers flickr. Youtube.

      Books What We Have Liked Recently

      - In picture books, you gots to read MOME. The Spring/Summer ish is
      "Designed by acclaimed designer and cartoonist Jordan Crane" and
      "spotlight[s] a regular cast of a dozen of today's most exciting
      cartoonist." 'Tis true. Wacky, deep, odd, not your average kitchen
      sink-is-clogged-what-should-I-do lit comics antho.

      - Heads up: Coming later this summer Julie Phillips's amazing pageturner
      "James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon."

      - Shelley Jackson's new novel, Half Life, comes out in July (what a
      beautiful cover). You might have seen her on tour with Kelly in 2002, or be
      one of the words in her Skin tattoo-only story (pictures are great!), or
      become enamored of her amazing hypertext Patchwork Girl.
      For Half Life she offers a Mutant Typology Test which will work out your
      mutation, find who you are related to (i.e. "The Two-Headed Boy of Bengal,
      born in 1783 in Mundul Gait, Bengal"), and offers a prescription.

      - Sarah Monette, who has had a few stories in LCRW, has a second novel out
      right now, The Virtu. This one stands by itself in the way her debut didn't
      (the books are in a series, although they don't tell you that). The Virtu
      races along and Monette gives her characters some great dialogue. It's a
      book mostly about boys but there is a great governess (who isn't, of course)
      who is so much fun that she is missed when she disappears off screen. A
      great book to get stuck into late on a summer's eve.

      One from Heidi Smith:
      "I recently read Carol Emshwiller¹s Carmen Dog, and was thoroughly pleased
      with it as an amazing, well-written book, but that¹s not the most important
      part. I¹d been rethinking definitions of feminism already -- mostly in light
      of old films, and especially the concept of femme fatale -- and I was
      surprised to find that Emshwiller¹s character of Pooch goes further in the
      direction I¹ve been heading. A new woman, one that is not a danger to man
      because while the two sexes at times are divided and different, physically
      or mentally, in the most inextricable situations, they can morph into
      something stronger and truer to an inner nature."

      Books at the top of the autumn stack include:
      * M.T. Anderson The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the
      Nation, Volume One: The Pox Party
      Wow. Historicity.
      * Karen Russell's debut collection St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by
      Fantastic debut collection.
      * The Long Tail (apparently not about rats or anteaters, etc.)
      It's the tail we're all hanging onto the lowest branches with.
      * Ursula K. Le Guin's follow-up to Gifts, Voices.
      * Inside the Not So Big House
      Hoping for 4-dimensional shelving options.
      * Liz Hand's November collection, Saffron and Brimstone, from the lovely
      people at M Press.
      You know about our big news, right?
      * Ysabeau Wilce's first young adult book Flora Segunda.
      Which we are told is a great, nay super, read.
      * Susanna Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu.
      Which will have b&w illustrations.

      Peace in our time.