Tea, Story Prize Night, stuff to read.

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2006
      New Year / tea / comics
      My Silent Partner
      The Story Prize Award night
      The Stare
      People we don't have
      Eva Ibbotson¹s
      Some Places to Go
      Sean Stewart
      Zinesters who made history file
      Mad MFB news

      Happy new year.
      If you've fallen for that Gregorian thing. Or, even if you're close to
      celebrating the Lunar New Year. (Coming up, the Year of the Dog, yay!)
      What are we doing in the new year?
      Completely, I say _completely_ new and different, ah, Things!, than we
      did last year. Who cares if 2005 still sounds all science-fictiony-futury?
      Not us. We bravely step ashore into this randomly numbered day and join the
      chorus singing "Bloody hell, Bob! Someone's stolen my jetpack!"

      We are drinking tea. No matter if you read this when we send it out, or
      hours, days later, we will still be drinking tea. Whether or not time is an
      illusion or not, we have always been drinking tea. Sometimes if you peeked
      it would be simple Barry's Irish tea, PG Tips, Tetley's. Sometimes we visit
      the Republic of Tea. Sometimes we are in the middle of making a pot of green
      tea. We're making the tea and steeping it thrice.
      Sometimes it is Darjeeling tea from http://www.nathmulltea.com (thank
      you Sarah). Here is where we area not:
      http://www.nathmulltea.com/tea_excursions.html Just so.

      Ok, stop with your tea drinking and open a new window with the link below
      where you can read a very mellow comic, Lost and Found, by Kevin Huizenga:

      Then go to a comic shop and give them your name and address. Tell them, "I
      would like to please subscribe to Kevin Huizenga's comic OR ELSE from Drawn
      and Quarterly."
      Comic book shop person will say, "Sure."
      Then you could add, "Please subscribe me to Huizenga's new book GLEN
      GANGES, coming soon from Fantagraphics."
      Comic book shop person will say, "Sure."

      Then you have the following options: Leave. Or, buy another copy of V FOR
      VENDETTA because something about the current US government reminded you of
      it and you want to re-read it before the movie and you lent out your first
      four copies to coworkers and friends. Or, repeat the above for Alan Moore's
      TOP TEN and maybe some others. Or, buy an action figure. Or, think about
      buying an action figure then realize something deep about yourself. Or,
      apply for a job at the comic book shop so that you can read all the comics,
      heh heh.
      At some point, 5.30 PM at the latest, you will Have to leave.

      Newly posted on sfsite.com is a very helpful excerpt on writing, "My Silent
      Partner," from Kate Wilhelm's STORYTELLER:

      Maureen F. McHugh will be in NYC on 1/25 for The Story Prize Award night.
      Tickets ($14) are available here:

      The three nominated authors will read from their books and be interviewed on
      stage before the one of them gets the prize. (Should be a nice relaxing
      evening, then? Right.)
      We'll be the ones with our hearts on our sleeves, the MOTHERS & OTHER
      MONSTERS shirts, flags and (hopefully you won't see these) underwear.
      Limited edition:

      Strange Horizons review:
      "McHugh is enormously talented.... [She] has a light touch, a gentle sense
      of a humor, and a keen wit."

      Appreciation of John Wyndham's short story "The Stare":

      More: http://edsfproject.blogspot.com

      People we don't have

      So this is why we always feel a couple of people short. Sure, we have people
      in all of these jobs, it's just they're all the same people!

      The Cultural Gutter is a very readable group blog/site where posts can range
      from pop music to books to video games and further. This was a recent post
      about a writer many of whose books are on our shelves:

      "Most of us have one, a story we know by heart. A truly beloved book, the
      one that comes down from the shelf when life is tense and frustrating and we
      require a little something extra to get through the toughest bit. Mine is an
      old, battered ex-library copy of Eva Ibbotson¹s gorgeous romance novel,
      Magic Flutes. It¹s about music, family, love, and home, and was so
      beautifully written that I took German, so as better to understand Mozart¹s

      Places to go:

      Kelly Link readings:

      February, 16 -- LRC Visiting Writer Series, Belk Centrum, Hickory, NC

      March 9 (group reading)
      BookPeople, Austin, TX

      Kelly is teaching July 23-Aug. 4 at the Clarion Writers' Workshop in E.
      Lansing, MI with Holly Black:

      Small Beer Press:

      March 8-11 -- AWP Conference & Bookfair, Austin, TX

      May 26-29 -- WisCon, Madison, WI

      Readercon 17, July 7 ­ 9, 2006
      Burlington, MA

      Can't remember if last year we mentioned that Sean Stewart's and Steve
      Lieber's comic for PERFECT CIRCLE was included in the Year's Best Comics
      (etc.)? It's a groovy collection and worth picking up as a sampler to see
      what's going on Out There.
      Houghton Mifflin is going to have a Best American Comics out at some
      point this year, yay for the huge and growing # of comics readers!

      PERFECT CIRCLE was also just reviewed at SF Site who called it:
      "A hell of a book."

      I think they meant it's a great book, not a burning smelly eternal pit of a
      book. Because it's much more the former than the latter.

      We just (well...) published Sean's going-to-be-an-Oprah-Book-one-day
      fantastic novel MOCKINGBIRD. It's another pageturner set in Texas (it's like
      he's onto something!) this time about a woman who inherits her mother's
      voodoo gods. It's spooky, touching, and funny as all get out.
      Sean is working away at video games and so on and should have a groovy
      project out at some point this year. Will it have his name on it? Only time
      will tell. One of these days we'll get another novel from him. One of these
      days. In the meantime, convince him to write one by buying these books! (It
      might work, you never know.)

      Photographer Christa Parravani has a new site where you can see the first
      pics in her new Spoon River Anthology series (and previous work):

      Great post-Rapture comic here:

      Read a fun sci-fi story about not getting old:
      "Start the Clock," by Benjamin Rosenbaum (F&SF, Aug04)

      Some Reader Resources:

      MORE BOOKS FOR WOMEN is compiled by the staff of Chicago's world-renowned
      Women & Children First bookstore. We searched long and hard to find the
      right combination of reviewers for this edition, and we're thrilled to offer
      you their years of expertise in finding and highlighting the best in women's
      We hope you enjoy MORE BOOKS FOR WOMEN and want to subscribe.
      Subscriptions are $30 annually for the email edition, $42 for the mailed
      print edition.

      -- Subscribe/give a gift sub at http://www.BTWOF.com/subscribe
      -- Read sample issues: http://www.btwof.com/samples.php>

      LCRW 16 review

      LCRW 17 is out. LCRW 18 will be out in June. LCRW 19 will be out in
      November. It's one of those biannual occasional outburst. But maybe there
      will be news of some sort down the line.
      What about Seana Graham's story "The Pirate's True Love" being selected
      for YEAR'S BEST FANTASY? That's news. Right. Oops!
      Here, before this gets messed up. Read about it and subscribe to the
      thing that is not an albatross nor a pudding:

      Zinesters who made history file:
      Donald Watson, founder of veganism, was born on September 2, 1910. He died
      on November 16, 2005, aged 95.

      "Towards the end of the [Second World W]ar, Watson formed a committee of
      ³non-dairy vegetarians², who wanted to remove animal products entirely from
      their diet and initiate a new movement. He was keen to capitalise on the
      tuberculosis reported in Britain¹s dairy cows, and the scarcity of eggs. He
      laid out the first issue of his Vegan News in November 1944, over 12 typed
      and stapled sheets of A4. The word vegan he took from the front and back end
      of ³vegetarian², expressing his belief that this new, absolutist diet was in
      fact the first impulse and the final destination of the vegetarian journey.
      He asked for other suggestions, and ³dairyban², ³vitan², ³benevore²,
      ³sanivore² and ³beaumangeur² were offered, but most of the 25 members were
      happiest with vegan."

      TRAVEL LIGHT is a book that skips through time as it follows Halla, daughter
      of a king but thrown out of the house and ordered killed by her stepmother.
      But it's no simple fairy tale. Bears, dragons, and early Constantinople
      all feature in a book we spent two years searching down the rights for
      (thanks Craig!).

      As Dan Hartland pointed out in his Strange Horizons review:

      "When The Lord of the Rings was first published, Allen and Unwin knew that
      such a strange book by an outsider of Tolkien¹s idiosyncratic calibre needed
      a few literary heavy-hitters to offer positive judgement, paving a way into
      the libraries of sophisticated readers and the dailies¹ books pages. In thus
      inventing the celebrity blurb, they turned to C.S. Lewis, Richard Hughes,
      and a fiercely intelligent writer of startling breadth named Naomi

      Now you can read the new Introduction here:

      And another review (with some spoilers) on a Scottish web site. Poke around
      on the site for a bit, there's lots of good stuff.

      We've added ebooks and some new books (more about them next time) to our
      high-tech chopping page.
      Check out all the latest in hi-tensile knives, butcher's-block chopping
      boards, as well as signed (and hand-cut!) copies of ZEN AND THE ART OF TOFU
      And books.

      Mad news about Kelly Link's MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS

      December Something, 2005, NORTHAMPTON, MA

      JINNY (15) & PEPPETE are being interviewed by the local paper, THE HAMPSHIRE

      J: We were bored. We'd done planning for first night --
      P: We made these amazing costumes! I'm going as a --
      J: Wait! Don't give it away!
      P: Ow! Don't hit so hard! Ok, what.
      J: So we had these feathers we didn't use 'cause Pep's dad is allergic.
      P: Which is lame. I'm allergic to peanut butter and he eats it every day.
      J: You should sue.
      P: He's a lawyer. And he always says he's broke.
      J: So we were in Haymarket, the cafe? And then this woman came in and
      ordered a double espresso. We recognized her.
      P: She's a writer. We saw her read at Space Crime Books with our Fave Fave
      Holly Black.
      J: She likes coffee, too. We saw this woman in a magazine.
      P: But nothing we read!
      J: So we told her we loved her book.
      P: We do!
      J: We do. We would.
      P: If we'd read it.
      J: I'd taken all my dad's magazines to make paper mache. How do you spell
      P: I don't know!
      J: And we showed her the magazine.
      P: Then Jinny --
      J: It was not me!
      P: Then Jinny showed her a feather and knocked her over with it. It was
      totally weird.
      J: It was like she'd never seen herself in a magazine before.
      P: Weird. Just weird.

      ### Or something not at all like that.

      Film rights to "The Faery Handbag" have indeed sold. Wow. That story and
      "Magic for Beginners" are up on the early Nebula ballot and you can read
      them from this page here:

      Some best of the year lists, some reviews.

      Time Magazine, Best of 2005: Books

      "Otherworldly nostalgia creeps close to revolution in Link's collection,
      where zombies and ghost dogs muddle a sweetly feral domesticity. In "Lull,"
      a cheerleader fated to live life backward thinks (during a spin-the-bottle
      interlude in a closet with the Devil): "That was what was so nice about
      being married. Things got better and better until you hardly even knew each
      other anymore. And then you said goodnight and went out on a date, and after
      that you were just friends." It's the storyteller's mantra‹"It gets
      better"‹come to life and multiplied."

      Capitol Times: Our book picks for 2005
      "Magic for Beginners," by Kelly Link (Small Beer Press, $24) Link's second
      collection of short stories is just a mind-bending blast, as funny,
      disturbing and poignant as anything I've read this year. I guess you'd call
      her a fantasy writer, since she writes about handbags that contain entire
      cities or convenience stores that cater to zombies, but something about her
      otherworldly flights seems unsettlingly real.

      "Link's powerful prose places this collection into a class of its own."

      "One of my favorite books this year."
      Books to Watch Out For: More Books for Women - Premiere Issue

      Oddball thrown from left field
      If your Christmas list includes anyone who perks up at the words "zombie,"
      "haunted" or "alien," pick up a copy of "Magic For Beginners." Kelly Link
      writes from way out in left field -- any attempt to sum up her story lines
      ends in confusion -- but her eerie blend of the everyday and the
      other-worldly is bound to please your favorite oddball. Parents beware --
      brief sexual references. In the spring, Link will be a visiting writer at
      Lenoir-Rhyne College in Hickory. Hear her speak at 8 p.m. Feb. 16 at the
      college's Belk Centrum. (Small Beer Press, 272 pages, $24.)
      -- Salem MacKnee, for the observer

      The Cleveland Plain Dealer
      "Link's work has beckoned me back into that enchanted wood, aka the
      science-fiction/popular-literature section at a local bookstore."

      Books: Naomi Mitchison, TRAVEL LIGHT
      Kate Wilhelm, STORYTELLER
      Sean Stewart, MOCKINGBIRD
      Kelly Link,
      Maureen F. McHugh, MOTHERS & OTHER MONSTERS
      Zine: LCRW
      Later: More stuff.
      Small Beer Press: http://www.smallbeerpress.com
      Easier to type: http://www.lcrw.net