Kindly Fishmonger Provides Scrap Paper

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2005
      Fish
      Can What Be Taught?
      "I didn¹t write Travel Light."
      Sallisiana
      Flense Me
      Complaint
      Link
      Peeps
      Building
      Another pesky zine
      LCRW letter, etc.
      &c.
      .

      Hello dear, it's just me. I'm at the fish shop and the nice man behind the
      counter gave me scrap of the paper he uses to wrap the fish because I said I
      was going to send it to you and he wanted me to write first but I'll send
      the fish with this.
      I know you don't eat fish anymore but this is such a nice piece of
      trout. I borrowed the nice fishmonger's phone and that talked to that lovely
      Mrs Prenderghastlie down the hall and she said she'd cook it up for you with
      some new Cyprus potatoes and fresh corn from the stand on the other side of
      town. I said she shouldn't go to such trouble but she wanted to go to the
      corn maze (http://www.mikesmaze.com) anyway.
      About those books you sent me. You know I've always preferred money for
      my birthday. Not that I'm ungrateful. What father would be unhappy to get
      books from their son? Not I! Wait a minute, I'll see if the fishmonger will
      give me more paper.

      Supply your own crafty line about autumn books, open leaves, all that sort
      of thing here.

      New Titles from Small Beer Press

      Ok, that'll do.

      Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers'
      Workshop
      Kate Wilhelm

      Did you get a signed copy? Well done. No more of them left (sorry!), but we
      still have pencils and we're still donating $5 to the Clarion Workshop for
      every copy sold through the website in 2005.

      We've posted the first online excerpt, "Can Writing Be Taught?" Look out for
      more excerpts in the next few weeks:
      http://www.lcrw.net/wilhelm/wilhelm-can.htm

      STORYTELLER REVIEWS

      "A useful, compact, and entertaining guide to writing that is neither bound
      to a particular genre or market."-- Locus

      "This book should be on the reference shelf of every aspiring writer. Not
      only is it a gift of insight and experience of a wonderful writer but it's
      also a fine story of the growth of a renowned writing workshop. Highly
      recommended." -- SF REVU
      http://sfrevu.com/Review-id.php?id=2976

      We have a PDF which you can post on any appropriate noticeboard. Just email
      us if you'd like it sent to you.

      Here's a note on Naomi Michison's TRAVEL LIGHT, the 2nd title in our Peapod
      Classics line, by Jed Berry, writer and intern extraordinaire:

      Travel Light is a book that goes places you never quite expect, even when
      you¹re the one who¹s writing it.
      No, I didn¹t write Travel Light. But when Small Beer Press decided to
      release Naomi Mitchison¹s wondrous novel as part of their Peapod Classics
      series, it fell to me to rewrite it‹retype it, to be more precise. Since it
      was first published in 1952, no electronic version of the text existed. And,
      somewhere between the death of Halla¹s adopted dragon/father and her arrival
      on the mean streets of medieval Constantinople with only Odin¹s magic cloak
      to help her, I realized I had no idea what was going to happen next. And
      that made me giddy all the way through the last chapter: I couldn¹t write
      (read) (type) fast enough.
      There is so much that is familiar about this fairy tale novel. There are
      dragons and heroes, and an exiled princess. There are unicorns, Valkyries,
      and corrupt priests. But in Mitchison¹s world, the princess is better off
      with the dragons than with the heroes (even the tragic ones). Halla never
      takes the easy way out. When the Valkyries offer to recruit her, or when she
      learns the truth of her lineage, she still must find her own way.
      Travel Light is a classic, but only on its own terms, as all true
      classics must be. It is a surprising tale, a first-rate adventure, and
      always thoughtful in the telling. As Halla learns and unlearns each step of
      her journey, Mitchison greets us with the cheering knowledge that the
      wandering itself is what counts.
      More about the book:
      http://www.lcrw.net/peapod/mitchison/index.htm
      Read the first couple of chapters:
      http://www.lcrw.net/peapod/mitchison/mitchison-chapterone.htm

      Sallisiana

      Something to look forward to. Jim Sallis, author of an _amazing_ series of
      New Orleans-based novels has just signed a contract with BBC radio for
      broadcast of a five-part adaptation of one of them, Eye of the Cricket.

      Jim has a new band! And, more good books:

      Drive, a novella
      http://www.poisonedpenpress.com/books/bookDetails.php?ISBN=1590581814
      The James Sallis Reader
      http://www.wildsidepress.com/product.asp?itemid=1259&catid=325

      Maureen F. McHugh, MOTHERS & OTHER MONSTERS
      http://www.lcrw.net/mchugh/
      Since Maureen F. McHugh isn't a professional chef the best we can all do is
      enjoy what she whips up on the page instead of on the plate. (Yes, she's a
      fantastic cook.) The 13 stories in her debut collection will blow the small
      grey lump behind your eyes right out of your ears. Been flensed recently?
      But, says you, why would I want to be? Okay, it's not quite that. It is
      taking your sister (the clone of your late older sister) to the mall and
      hating it. It is watching the others come to your place and seeing it
      through their eyes. It is wondering if the Alzheimer's cure is going to
      bring back the person you loved or produce a completely new person.
      There are some reviews and so on below. We loved this book so much we
      did a special edition: http://www.lcrw.net/special/mchugh/index.htm

      * A July Book Sense Notable Book

      Read a very short story (more linked from the page above):
      http://www.anglemagazine.org/articles/Wicked_2292.asp

      "Passion and precision."-- Locus

      "There's not a single story that isn't strong, and most are brilliant."
      -- Ideomancer

      "Hauntingly beautiful, driven by the difficult circumstances of their
      characters' lives -- slices of life well worth reading and rereading."
      -- Booklist

      "Poignant and sometimes heartwrenching explorations of personal
      relationships and their transformative power.... The universality of these
      tales should break them out to the wider audience they deserve."
      -- Publishers Weekly

      "Stories that abjure future or alternate-history settings for a here-and-now
      (sometimes problematically so) in which women, most of them mothers (though
      again often problematically) seek to negotiate landscapes for which their
      lives thus far have left them unprepared."
      -- Tangent Online
      http://www.tangentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=504&I
      temid=263
      Mention: http://www.bookslut.com/specfic_floozy/2005_04_005003.php

      Purchase: http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm
      Powells: http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=1931520135
      Get it as an ebook: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook33632.htm

      At what point did drinking tea or coffee become known as drinking caffeine?
      If it really is about the drug, why not pop a pill? Stop with the discussion
      of caffeine levels! Only you care, remember? Everyone else knows you're
      occasionally freaky and the low/high caffeine level excuses, well, we all
      love you anyway, so: enough.

      Mmmm. Tea.

      Seen Kelly Link's new website? Some bugs (ha!) yet, but check it out.
      http://www.kellylink.net
      Skillfully done by Theo Black:
      http://www.theblackarts.com

      Some reviews for Kelly Link's MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS -- which is now in its
      second printing and we are, well, you can guess. Knackered? Wary! Excited.
      Working on the next books. Shipping, shipping, shipping. Over the moon,
      Brian (soccer reference [Did you see Scotland beat Norway 2-1 in Norway?
      Good lord that team knows how to squeeze every ounce of tension out of
      trying to qualify for the World Cup.]).

      Thanks to everyone who helped get this book out there, for encouragement,
      and for being fine, upstanding peeps.
      http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1103563,00.html
      http://www.newyorker.com/critics/briefly/
      http://scifi.com/sfw/issue430/books2.html
      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/28/RVGHKEAGUB1.DTL&
      type=books
      http://www.believermag.com/issues/200508/?read=review_link
      http://www.salon.com/books/review/2005/08/24/link/index.html
      "Sinister and sublime."
      http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/arts/books/documents/04939047.asp
      http://www.watermarkbooks.com/review0605-013.html

      Book Sense Pick 8/05
      MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS, by Kelly Link (interior illustrations by Shelley
      Jackson) (Small Beer Press, $24, 1931520151) "Kelly Link is my favorite new
      fantasy writer. She mixes up fairy-tale monsters and our modern world to
      create unique, humane stories that illuminate the joy and pain of everyday
      stuff. These stories are magic." --Michael Wells, Bailey-Coy Books, Seattle,
      WA

      Get a free book: download Kelly's first collection, STRANGER THINGS HAPPEN:
      http://manybooks.net/titles/linkkother05stranger_things.html
      Or buy the ebook from Fictionwise:
      http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook32312.htm

      Here's a couple of new reviews:
      http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/257
      http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk/articles/books/2005/nz8556.php

      UPCOMING READINGS &C.

      October 13 -- Shaman Drum Book Shop, Ann Arbor, MI
      October 16, 6 PM -- Wisconsin Book Festival, Madison, Wisconsin
      (Everyday is Strange: Kelly Link & Rebecca Meacham)
      October 17, 4PM -- University of Chicago, Urbana
      October 25 -- Porter Square Book Shop, Cambridge, MA (with Barry Yourgrau)
      November 1 -- Prairie Lights, Iowa City, Iowa
      November 3-6 -- World Fantasy Convention, Madison, WI
      November 13 -- KGB Bar, New York City
      http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/calendar.htm

      That thing about upstanding peeps above reminds us to recommend Scott
      Westerfeld's Peeps. Now that was a fun book. Virus, anyone?

      Building? Do it right! We're happy to pass on that Kraus-Fitch Architects of
      Amherst, MA (who worked on our house) were chosen for Natural Home &
      Garden's Top 10 Green Architects for 2005.
      http://www.naturalhomemag.com/mediacenter/pr062805.asp

      ... the more interesting link is to Kraus-Fitch's own page:
      http://www.krausfitch.com

      TRASH SEX MAGIC still grabbing people:
      http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/216
      http://sex-kitten.net/2453459191843.html

      Get it as an ebook:
      http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook32203.htm

      Writer?

      Another pesky zine demanding your attention: Sybil's Garage Issue #3 is
      accepting submissions beginning September 5. Submission guidelines are here:
      http://sensesfive.com/sybilsgarage/issue3/guidelines.html

      Some LCRW Pieces:

      A letter concerning LCRW no.15 (http://www.lcrw.net/issues/lcrw15.htm) where
      the writer pretends we published a "comic" or narrative of a "graphic"
      persuasion. While we love being persuaded, we neither remember anything
      funny nor narrative associated with that issue. While it seems there may be
      a loose copy or twenty-five we could go and check this out on, they would be
      all the way over there and we are all the way under here. (Apologies: we
      misplaced our prepositions of place. We have the interns searching as we
      type.)

      -----

      January 18, 2005

      Dear Tiger and/or Lady:

      Thank you for the enlightening and enlivening essay from Schimel and Rojo,
      "The Well-Dressed Wolf." I could refer to this piece as a graphic essay, but
      that might create an erroneous impression, leading to untoward (1) inquiries
      from the Justice Department. I note that you place it under the heading
      "Comic"’ which neatly circumvents the ambiguity of "graphic"’ but hardly
      does justice (ahem) to Schimel and Rojo¹s work.

      Their analysis is masterful! Lawrence Schimel has pierced the heart of a
      critical subtext within the fairy tale genre. And yet I feel the focus of
      the article is slightly soft: The true key to understanding Schimel’s thesis
      is not the wolf himself, but the clothing. As someone (2) once said,
      "Clothes make the man." (Schimel¹s promise of a followup article on tailors
      suggests that this has not escaped him.)

      It is a psychological commonplace that clothing symbolizes the persona.
      While appreciating Schimel¹s refreshing openness regarding gender issues, I
      respectfully draw attention away from the cross-dressing and toward the fact
      that the wolf in each tale wears clothing not his own. Red becomes the hero
      of her tale when she sees the wolfish nature mendaciously hidden beneath the
      flannel nightie. Whether the wolf or the sheep triumph in other cases
      depends on the perspicacity of the sheep; alas, not one of their strengths.

      This pattern is repeated in other tales. Cinderella¹s stepmother seeks to
      control her identity by encasing her in thrift shop items without even a
      shred of retro chic. The fairy godmother replaces these sad rags with high
      fashion designer wear reflecting Cinderella’s true inner beauty. When Cindy
      is once again forced into yucky clothes, her princely hero sees through the
      false persona to the prom queen beneath. As someone else once said, (3) it¹s
      all about the dress.

      Consider the subversive tale, The Emperor’s New Clothes. The Emperor decides
      to spend some of his political capital on a suit of clothes so precious it
      doesn¹t actually exist. Yet the political climate is chilly enough that no
      one comments on this total absence of persona until an innocent child blurts
      out the obvious. The Emperor’s advisors should never have placed him in such
      a ridiculous position, but one would think that someone reaching the level
      of Emperor could think for himself. Wouldn¹t one?

      It is also well known that brownies will desert a house in which the master
      (or mistress) tries to give them clothing. The reluctance of any
      self-respecting sprite to assume a human persona is perhaps understandable,
      but has not (to my knowledge) been explicated in this way.

      I could go on. Indeed, I could, and will with the slightest encouragement.
      And if Ms. Rojo were available to illustrate the final copy, that would be
      cool, too.

      Sincerely,

      A Devoted Reader

      1. I have nothing personal against the Justice Department. Really. The
      blessing from Fiddler on the Roof comes to mind: God bless and keep the
      tzar...far away from us.

      2. Mark Twain: "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no
      influence on society." I thought it was Viola, until I looked it up. You
      could see why. I¹ve always liked her.

      3. I've heard this from several people, including my daughter, and she
      should know.

      -----

      Fourth Annual Southeastern Independent Literary Magazine and Small Press
      Festival: Sept. 23-24, 2005 10am-5pm · Agnes Scott College · Atlanta, GA

      [We won't be there, but LCRW will. See that line about "Journals will be
      sold over the two-day period at every event." Energetic, eh?]

      Atlanta's annual showcase of America's best independent publishers of
      poetry, fiction & prose.
      A two-day festival presented in conjunction with The Chattahoochee
      Review, Agnes Scott College, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library, the
      Georgia Center for the Book, Georgia Perimeter College, and A Capella Books.
      Journals will be sold over the two-day period at every event. Editors, book
      publishers, and agents will converge upon Atlanta to educate the public on
      the role of literary magazines and small presses and to answer questions.
      Come listen to readings and panelists, participate in the many
      workshops, or browse the book fairs. The Southeastern Independent Literary
      Magazine and Small Press Fair is the literary extravaganza of autumn.
      All events are free and open to the public. For more information,
      directions, and a complete schedule of events visit
      http://www.chattahoochee-review.org, call 770-274-5145.

      A review of the poetry in LCRW 16:
      http://multiverse.erictmarin.com/reviews.htm
      A review of the zine on Newpages.com:
      http://www.newpages.com/magazinestand/zines/

      Soon to come: Yet another LCRW. More excitingly, Sean Stewart's MOCKINGBIRD.
      At last!
      Is this a good book? Yes.
      Is it bright and shiny? Yes.
      Is it true that that's a picture of Carol Emshwiller's hands on the
      cover as taken by Ed Emshwiller in the 1950s? Yes.
      Did Elaine Chen paint the bird on the cover? Yes.
      Would it be an eagle? Nope, it's the Texas state boid, the mockingbird.

      More on that later. Shipped from printer to distro so will be appearing
      soonish....

      Call for action:
      1) Write your Representative and insist that Mike Brown, head of FEMA, and
      all his incompetent ilk be fired. http://www.house.gov/writerep/*
      2) Impeach the president for incompetence. Go on, you can do it!
      3) Stain the outside stairs before winter.
      4) Tell everyone about that excellent David Maruseck book. (Wasn't he in
      that old film The Shop Around the Corner?)
      5) Make to do list.

      * Wow, time got ahead of us and "You're doing a good job, Brownie," went
      ahead and quit. Why wasn't he fired? That would be the government admitting
      croneyism was a mistake rather than just Brown admitting his own
      incompetence. Did he ever say anything that wasn't completely the wrong
      thing to say? He has plenty of time for Mexican meals and margaritas now.
      Write them about George W. Bush....

      A buying spot: http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm

      Thanks for reading. Feel free to forward this or repost whatever parts you
      like -- with attribution, baby. Feel free to send us recommendations for The
      Year's Best Fantasy, eeek, deadlines! Feel free to send us questions for
      Dear Aunt Gwenda for the next LCRW. Feel free to quit something and pass the
      money onto New Orleans.

      Guess the fishmonger wouldn't give any more paper.

      Peace!