Free Creative Commons-Licensed Download

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      July 1, 2005: RELEASE IMMEDIATELY

      Small Beer Press
      176 Prospect Avenue
      Northampton, MA 01060
      T: 413-584-0299
      F: 413-584-2662
      http://www.smallbeerpress.com

      Award-winning Author Releases Collection as Free Creative Commons-Licensed
      Download

      Award-winning short story writer Kelly Link's new collection MAGIC FOR
      BEGINNERS (July 1, 2005, Fiction/Short Stories, $24, ISBN: 1-931520-15-1,
      illus. by Shelley Jackson), is being celebrated in a peculiar way by
      publisher Small Beer Press.

      Small Beer, based out of Northampton, MA, is quite happily giving away
      copies of Link's debut collection STRANGER THINGS HAPPEN as a Free Download
      using a Creative Commons License.

      Link, 35, recently found out she her story, "Stone Animals" from
      Conjunctions 43, has been selected for the next volume of the Best American
      Short Stories. Her new collection has received a starred review from
      Publishers Weekly -- and praise from writers such as Michael Chabon and
      Alice Sebold. Her stories are published in everything from literary journals
      (Fence), genre anthologies (The Faery Reel), zines (One Story, Say) to
      McSweeney¹s Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales and have been awarded the
      Tiptree, World Fantasy, and Nebula Awards.

      Publisher Gavin Grant, 34, says they he and Link were inspired by author and
      copyright activist Cory Doctorow who had put each of his books online under
      a Creative Commons license.

      "We're a tiny independent press," said Grant. "Of course we want to explore
      different methods of getting our books out to readers -- and in spreading
      the word about Creative Commons."
      He continued, "We don't expect this to kill sales.. If anything (fingers
      crossed), it may help. After all, the book is already available in hundreds
      of libraries, on print.google.com, Amazon.com's Search Inside program, and
      even on BookCrossing. None of these programs have stopped the book from
      finding readers."

      Readers have the choice of STRANGER THINGS HAPPEN as a Plain text, HTML,
      RTF, & PDF files.

      http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/sth/index.htm

      ###

      ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

      Kelly Link¹s debut collection Stranger Things Happen is in its fourth
      printing and has been translated into Japanese. Her stories have appeared in
      many magazines and anthologies including Fence, The Vintage Book of Amnesia,
      Conjunctions, McSweeney¹s, and "Stone Animals" has been selected for
      inclusion in The Best American Short Stories.
      A graduate of Columbia University and the MFA program at the University of
      North Carolina at Greensboro, she once won a free trip around the world by
      answering the question "Why do you want to go around the world?" ("Because
      you can¹t go through it.") Link lives in Northampton, MA.

      ABOUT SMALL BEER PRESS:

      Since its founding in 2000, Small Beer Press has published Kalpa Imperial,
      Ursula K. Le Guin¹s translation of Angélica Gorodischer¹s award-winning
      novel; Carol Emshwiller¹s The Mount (Philip K. Dick Award winner, reprinted
      by Penguin Firebird); and Book Sense Notable Picks Perfect Circle by Sean
      Stewart and Mothers & Other Monsters by Maureen F. McHugh, among others.
      Since 1996 we have published a small lit-zine, LCRW and recently kicked off
      a classic reprint series, Peapod Classics.

      Links:
      Free Download http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/sth/index.htm
      Bio + Photos http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/bio.htm
      Small Beer Press http://www.smallbeerpress.com