Lies, liers, and laying it all aside.

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      Chocolate as a paint
      Thunderstorms
      Falling SUV sales
      Etc.
      Bouncing Backward in Time

      So that contents list might not be right. Yeah, yeah. Besides, if we just
      put 1--,2--,3--, then 4-"free books" or "chocohoneyloveforyou" not only will
      we get lost in the spam filter but you might not even skim the rest.
      Besides, all the books are Delayed (see beeeelow), so how can we give them
      away?

      Our two summer short fiction collections are moving _very_ slowly at the
      printer. This means that if you thought a Small Beer book was something
      similar to a hare, then maybe you thought more like a cheetah (and we resent
      that) or a donkey(?), it turns out, it is more like a tortoise. ("Tor-tus",
      ok?)

      So, there's that. Or, rather, there isn't that, yet. Ah tooth grinding, we
      hardly knew you. Frustrating? Que?
      Does anyone (within a bike ride's reach) need a wall taken down with a
      sledgehammer? How about something that could be designed _angrily_? All
      these attempts at italics in a non-html email. Just goes to show these weak
      sentences can't stand up for themselves.

      So, the fave word of the mo', Kelly Link and Maureen McHugh's books:

      Handy-dandy special editions:
      http://www.lcrw.net/special/index.htm

      General page for pre-ordering (note lack of Flash programming):
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/preorder.htm

      Popping minds like 15 amp fuses:
      Mothers & Other Monsters by Maureen F. McHugh
      http://www.lcrw.net/mchugh/index.htm

      Clone stories which of course are stories about the human condition with
      some science or one major tweak or a Womble, or, wait, surely not sci fi???

      --

      The website will be updated once we get all the books to the printer.
      There's also that zine thing that we used to do. Do! Of course, we still

      Yes, there might be a zine, soonish. Don't hold thine breaths.

      Sneaky note: At the end of the month (so long!, maybe sooner!) we will have
      galleys of our reprint of Sean Stewart's Mockingbird and even though we
      still haven't sent out last month's free book winner (he's in Japan and we
      keep "losing" the chocolate!) we could send out a few of these if we were
      persuaded. So, no pressure, no strict adherences to our daft requests, just
      you and the power of your words and 1 good book with a new afterword. Ooh!

      #*&^%*%*&^)(*(+)*%&^#%$@&^^%T(*&_(+*&#_*&@_)(@!38__)!*

      With the recent uptick in LCRW subscriptions (now running ~550/week with 20%
      favoring the chocolate addiction), we have switched to the Network TV
      OverKill-a-Hit-Show Model. Beginning next week, LCRW will go out daily in
      its new scantily-clad, non-copyedited, tabloid-sized glory. Features
      include: New Nude Words Daily, How Do They Do That--and Why?, The Other Four
      W's, Pictures of My Lawn, and a daily poem from a nether god or a rich
      politician.
      Each issue will bring you pithy columns by calumnists (sic) paid to
      write about whatever they're pushing, be it religion, consumer goods, ad
      nauseam! Subscriptions will remain the same price as ad pages have leapt an
      astonishing 3 million %. But don't worry, fiction fans, we'll also be
      producing twice-yearly special fiction issues (free to subscribers and
      available at about three bookshops and no newstands) which will fill that
      small hole in your reading time.

      Oh, and the next one will have a great b&w cover on white paper and will not
      be perfect bound! We lied on our webpage!

      #*&^%*%*&^)(*(+)*%&^#%$@&^^%T(*&_(+*&#_*&@_)(@!38__)!*

      An interview with Judith Berman:
      http://www.twilighttales.com/magazine/toc.php?sectioncode=crayons

      + link to the entire text of Judith Berman's groovy story now up on the
      Black Gate website: http://www.blackgate.com/fiction/2004/poisonwell2.htm
      We published a chapbook by Judith once upon a time. In September, she'll
      have a book out, yay!

      #*&^%*%*&^)(*(+)*%&^#%$@&^^%T(*&_(+*&#_*&@_)(@!38__)!*

      Bouncing Backward in Time

      No, this isn't about the time-traveller convention we went to on May 7th at
      MIT. (Most fun part of that was hiding in the bushes.)

      This is about Kate Wilhelm's STORYTELLER: Writing Lessons and More from 27
      Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop (rolls right off the tongue. Anyway
      you weren't mean to be licking your computer screen). It's gone back to to
      August to make sure peeps get enough time to review it and so on -- and so
      that we have enough time to make it pretty, pretty.
      STORYTELLER digs a little dirt (not much, this is a class act!), tells a
      few stories, and gets to the nitty-gritty about writing and teaching
      writing. Here's a tiny part (from the broken-out section at the end on
      writing) that has rung a few bells in early readers:

      » The Writing Life

      Taking the Time
      No one gives writing time to a new writer, or in many cases to an
      established writer. Each and every one of us has to take it, forcibly if
      necessary, by wile, bribery, any method that works. You have to take the
      time, to weigh it against whatever else is happening, to give it up
      somewhere else, sacrifice time with other people, time for movies, time for
      television, fun, games, partying, sleep or something. There is always some
      time every day to set aside and declare one¹s own, but it requires a lot of
      self-discipline to seize it and keep it. If not every day, then three days a
      week, and if that¹s still impossible, one day a week.
      It¹s hard in the beginning because there is no payback or tangible
      reward for all that time spent alone in thought or at a keyboard, and life
      keeps getting in the way. But it is absolutely necessary to find the time
      and keep it inviolable and recognized by the private world of the writer
      that it is not to be invaded.
      Paradoxically, and cruelly, the ones you love the most and who love you
      are the greatest problem. They see you suffering, alone, withdrawn,
      apparently getting nowhere, and they want to help. Something is offered, and
      if you say no, feelings get hurt, guilt arises.
      You have to decide which guilt to live with: the guilt of denying the
      companionship or the guilt of yielding and not writing or working at an
      aspect of writing.

      ###

      Preorder the book at any bookshop (yay, cultural spaces!) or from here:
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/preorder.htm

      [Those dates for Mockingbird and ravel Light will have to change, too!]

      #*&^%*%*&^)(*(+)*%&^#%$@&^^%T(*&_(+*&#_*&@_)(@!38__)!*

      Researchers Find That Chocolate Compound Stops Cancer Cell Cycle in Lab
      Experiments
      http://gumc.georgetown.edu/communications/releases/release.cfm?ObjectID=4477

      Also, while beer may (evidence is spotty, but this is all about denial, so
      we won't probe too far), again, may prevent Alzheimers, it doesn't seemed to
      have stopped our increasing forgetability (including how to use the
      language) or senile dementia.
      http://www.beerisgoodforyou.com/health/alzheimers.htm

      "A new study presented at the World Alzheimer¹s Congress 2000 in Washington
      DC, shows that those who consume one to two glasses of beer or wine per day
      have a 30 percent lower risk for Alzheimer¹s disease, compared with
      non-drinkers."

      If beer is not to your taste, how about 3.5 bottles of wine a week? (Hmm,
      must get job where 200 bottles of wine per year seems affordable and where
      sleeping-in is ok.)

      This study (published in the journal Neurology) says: "people who drank up
      to 21 glasses of wine a week had a measurably lower risk of dementia."

      Doesn't say anything about delirium tremens or explain the dancing elephants
      commonly sighted by the 75-year-old, ex-3-martini-lunch crowd, but, remember
      (it was a while ago), it's only about denial and picking the right fact out
      of the crowd.

      Now, what else is good for us? Tea? Tannin-dyed teeth are stronger says a
      study backed up by no evidence and in fact non-existent. Chocolate, covered.
      Beer? Covered. Non-homegrown tomatoes? How bad can they be except for the
      implanted fish genes* and the poisons? Pass. Next.

      * Can vegetarians still eat supermarket tomatoes? Not that anyone really
      wants to eat the red watersacks passed off as the glorious love apple, but
      ... sometimes ... the ... wait ... for ... summer ... is ... loooong!

      #*&^%*%*&^)(*(+)*%&^#%$@&^^%T(*&_(+*&#_*&@_)(@!38__)!*

      General linkage:

      Montague, MA: You know it's all coming together when even the website
      provokes a moment or two of wunder: http://theladykilligrew.com/index.php

      Gwenda Bond interviewed Kelly Link. Did we link to it?
      http://www.edrants.com/reluctant/001414.html

      "Heads Down, Thumbs Up" by Gavin J. Grant
      http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/grant3/

      Occasional updates:
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/notajournal.htm

      What else? We are at work. How about you? Seen any good films recently? Oh,
      wait

      ###