Lit Mags, Phone Co.s, The Inevitable Stuff

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2005
      HELLO SMARTY LOVES
      HEADLINES SHOUT ACROSS INTERNET
      SHORT FICTION RADIO
      limited editions
      BYE D-TAKE
      GETTING AVEC LE TIMES
      WHAT WE DID ON 12/31/4 - 1/1/5
      MUSIC
      WRONG FILM
      LCRW
      NEWS
      LIMITED EDITION POP-UP TRUNK STORIES

      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      Hello dear smartest people in the world,

      We have a tiny request for any literary journal readers out there. We've
      been making our way through many literary journals (mostly courtesy of the
      Five College Library (http://fclibr.library.umass.edu) system but sometimes
      we clamber up to the rooftop greenhouse and read the with iced drink
      (sencha[1] or LA Burdick[2] Hot choc {water or soy-based, natch}) in hand.
      So, anyway, we've read tons of them but may have missed some. Have you
      read any fantastic (in all senses of the word only) stories that you think
      we must must must read? Remember, we've read most of the obvious things, but
      if you've come across something, please do tell.

      [1] Thanks to Gregory Frost, tea drinker extraordinaire and author of a
      forthcoming short fiction collection, Attack of the Jazz Giants (Golden
      Gryphon). http://www.gregoryfrost.com/
      [2] Heather, you were right: it's fantastic. Sooo rich, has to be doled out
      carefully.
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      SHORT FICTION RADIO

      It -- which will be defined later -- is a victory for good radio; read
      podcast, non-terrestrial, Intahrweb ((c) CVR., Inc.) radio.
      It, as every writer and fan -- although this 'term' is used in its
      broadest use meaning 'person who enjoys' as compared to 'person who dresses
      up' -- is SSR.

      Now: if anyone can tell us what the writer above (who wishes to remain
      anonymous due to G&T consumption) was on about (esp. "SSR"), we'll send you
      a ncie packet of sweeties or a chapbook or something.
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      limited editions

      In 2005 we will be doing our first limited editions. We should announce and
      advertise and so on, but first here's the link (and the mchugh) and that's
      all.
      http://www.lcrw.net/special/index.htm
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      BYE D-TAKE

      DoubleTake Mag bites the dust:
      http://somervillenews.typepad.com/the_somerville_news/2005/01/the_lights_go_
      o.html#more

      If anyone wants to throw $10 million at us we promise to produce a glossy
      mag for years, mismanage it, make lots of readers happy, overpay
      freelancers, and eventually disappear. But we loved it while it went on.
      And, seriously folks, if you want to send us $10 million....
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      GETTING AVEC LE TIMES

      Looks like we will have a bunch of our books and so on available at some
      point soon at Fictionwise.com. One of the benefits of this is that we
      haven't been able to put our large print editions of our books. Now, rather
      than worry about that, we can refer people to Fictionwise where they can
      download the book and change the type size to something that's comfortable
      for them. Yay.
      http://fictionwise.com/
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      WHAT WE DID ON 12/31/4 - 1/1/5

      Report from the streets [From the black turtle-necked forces who brought you
      LCRW]:

      1/1/05, Western calendar. Well, the parade was, embarrassingly, just a
      blowout. There had to be be 150,000 people (NorthamptonPD estimate: 45,000)
      who popped up in the hours of 12AM-2AM. Who cares about First Night (not to
      mention The First Knight, who, happily, Did Not make an appearance) when you
      have a zine party in full effect [update slang, puh-leez - ed.].
      The inflatables, were. The Drawn Together/Alias mash-up was, well, as
      sausagy and spicy as hoped. Yes, we hoped it would be like that. We have a
      liking or serrano, jalapeno, habanerjo. Macy's was upset that their
      inflatable wasn't allowed in. Virgin's thingy beat NASA's and lots of
      engineers faked tears as they retooled their resumes. Who knew that Peter
      Pan (see below) would appear? That was nice. As they say when gingerbread is
      served.
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      MUSIC: Rock, pop, and all that.

      In the past couple of years Eric Boehlert has written a wonderful series of
      pieces on Payola (Pay-Ola -- sounds like a swinging '50s song) for
      Salon.com. A culminatory arcticle here:
      http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/01/05/payola/index.html

      Not a pop music fan? Skip to the next part.
      The Fawns, baby, The Fawns. It's a CD called Smiling**. It's 35 minutes or
      so long. It's catchy. It's worth passing on to two or three friends.
      http://www.thefawns.com
      Sample: http://www.thefawns.com/listen.html
      Sing along: http://www.thefawns.com/sing.html

      Good lord.

      Musicopolis: Postal Service -- Lady: "Nothing Better" (or, as the Sub Pop
      page has it "nothnig better"); Tiger: "Sleeping In."
      http://www.subpop.com/bands/postalservice/

      If your band (and I'm hinting toward Dischord here) doesn't have
      downloadables on your site, what's wrong with you? How can we check out
      bands we are recommended? Stream me some mp3s!
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      WRONG FILM

      Q. What is wrong with you? [You being defined as some kind of Movie Critic.]
      Why is SIDEWAYS a popular film?

      I loved the women. I hated the men.
      Let's not talk about Merlot. This film -- unlike _all_ Merlots -- is
      crap. It's well made. There are some beautiful shots. But, characters?
      Let's look at Ptarmigan at blogspot* and the happy use of First Novel as
      Device of Seduction. Well, that'll produce another slew of them. Thanks. No,
      really, thanks Mr. Alexander Payne. Please send all first novels to the guys
      who made a film from an unpublished novel. Hey wait, we've got a couple of
      surefire critic killer First Novels Right Here.
      Morals? We don't pretend to be 18th or 19th century moralists, but,
      damn. Could you please acknowledge the horrobilus annus that has led to this
      film being called crap. They say great, I say crap.
      *http://ptarmigan.blogspot.com/2004/12/still-still-trying-to-figure-out-mass
      .html
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      LCRW IS WHERE IT ALL BEGAN AND MAYBE WHERE WE ARE GOING AND ONCE WE ARE
      THERE WILL WE KNOW IT AND WILL THERE BY BOOKS AS GOOD AS LOCAS BY
      J.HERNANDEZ?

      There's a new LCRW. Apocalypse
      notwithstanding.http://www.lcrw.net/issues/lcrw15.htm
      And there is a ton, a veritable Ton of silly stuff featuring Steve Lieber's
      lovely cover art on Cafe Press. Who doesn't need 100 badges?
      http://www.cafepress.com/lcrw
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      AT&T: DROPPED!

      December 6th, 1.10PM. Calling AT&T (second time). An hour or so ago I called
      (800-222-0300) to cancel the long distance. I'd received a postcard telling
      me instate calls were going up to 12 cents/minute. I call the UK for
      less.... Coincidentally, Mark on Boing Boing recommended a long-distance
      phone company. I went to their website and signed up. I received an email
      confirming the switch and a call the next day to do the recorded
      confirmation. Excellent and v. easy to deal with.
      Today I call AT&T on the number provided on their bill. After 20 minutes
      a man in India answers. I ask to cancel my service. He offers to drop my
      prices. I explain I've been an AT&T customer for a couple of years and never
      once was offered cut prices. He asks for a minute to offer me a deal, I
      explain that, no, I don't have a minute. He puts me on hold and has his
      revenge. He manages to switche me through to a nice lady at the Citibank
      credit card customer service who is very confused as to why I want to talk
      about phone service. I diss AT&T to her. And I forgot to get his name

      1.24 PM -- "Alvin"? answers the phone. He asks for my phone # (which I've
      already entered). I begin -- and the line goes dead. I give up for the day.

      December 10, 12.05 PM. Entered my 10-digit number and confirmed it. The
      machine says I will be helped in 3 minutes.

      12.07 PM -- Not bad, two minutes. Talked to "Cling" (yep, check on spelling)
      who asks me to give my number again -- why enter it? Ask not to be put on
      hold. He puts me on hold. (4 minutes.) Offer better prices but I am gone,
      baby, solid gone.

      Since I couldn't reach AT&T and they only offered to cut their prices when I
      was leaving I recommend ECG (888-869-1141) who _start_ with low prices. Tell
      them Gavin Grant sent you.
      > You can personally tell your referrals about ECG and direct them to
      http://www.ecgtelefriend.com
      > Or you can have your referrals call 1-888-869-1141 and speak to a customer
      service representative.
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      NEWS

      King Tut Exhibition impounded for Terrorist activities. Ok. Even we can't
      satirize the US Gov't and their 3-years-and-more illegal imprisonments. At
      least they had a spark of decency and redefined torture out of their own
      usage. Bastards had it in there for a while. Maybe that Legacy thing has hit
      them between the eyes. Something should.

      Lookee: The Scotsman Digital Archive - http://archive.scotsman.com

      > 25 January 1817 to 1900. Includes coverage of the Highland clearances, the Tay
      Bridge disaster and the assassination of President Lincoln, to list but a
      few.
      > Searching the Archive is free and results are displayed on screen as the pages
      were originally printed. We've provided a timeline of events covered in The
      Scotsman from 1800-1900 with links to key articles. Articles on this
      timeline as well as the first ever edition of The Scotsman are available for
      free allowing users to try the service before buying.
      > Our Archive also allows you to find out if an ancestor appeared in the paper's
      births, marriages and deaths notices, and is a valuable resource for
      historians and genealogists, amateur or professional.
      > To view the editions and articles in full we do charge a small fee. We believe
      that the pricing levels offer very good value for money - the Annual Pass
      provides unlimited access for around 30p per day.
      > The Archive will be updated to 1950 by April of 2005 and eventually to the
      current date.

      Keep an eye out: something is about to happen. Something will happen.
      Something is happening: http://www.fortressofwords.com/

      Sean Stewart's Perfect Circle comes out in the UK as FIRECRACKER this
      spring. Please be nice and face it out in any bookshop you see :) Comes out
      in Finland at some point, too.
      http://www.lcrw.net/seanstewart/index.htm

      We have the cutest book in the world
      Carol Emshwiller, CARMEN DOG
      http://www.lcrw.net/peapod/emshwiller/carmendog.htm

      Here are some good upcoming film reviews. Beware of the excellent Dave
      Navarro usage. http://www.izzlepfaff.com/blog/archives/cat_visual_club.php

      We recommend the 2003 Peter Pan. Who knew? Thanks, sisters.
      Is it just us or do you have an odd hankering to get the Live Aid DVD?
      .. . . . . . . . . . .

      LIMITED EDITION POP-UP TRUNK STORIES

      What we didn't want to tell you about but we probably should: We have a
      limited edition you can buy. We wish you wouldn't, though, because later,
      when we are old, we would like not to work. We would like to retire and
      drive all around the Wurld in an RV (with bookshelves, solar panels, comfy
      couches, &c.). To realize this dream we need to keep these limited editions
      and sell them on eBay (or whatever they are calling the Whole Life Virtual
      Auction Experience of the Future).
      If you really want to ruin our (admittedly limited) dreams (you may have
      other reasons, but this is the one we will attribute to you even as we
      carefully pack up your Limited Edition), you will purchase the second issue
      of William Smith's Trunk Stories, which beside being well designed and
      having good stories and so on, has (well, one hundred of them have) a
      handmade popup in the center. It is amazing. We set up a plinth in the
      center of our town and show the pop up every hour on the hour M-F, 9-5. It
      is very popular. We show a coy that later we will sell. Those we are selling
      now are still sealed in their bags. They cost $6+1 shipping (handmade, baby,
      handmade). So, anyway. We love them.
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping2.htm

      Us and others wishing you well: Small Beer Press: http://www.lcrw.net