Something About

  • Small Beer/LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16 4:14 PM
      Two New Chapbooks:
      Benjamin Rosenbaum, Other Cities
      Christopher Rowe, Bittersweet Creek and Other Stories
      Something to Read
      And Some Zine: LCRW Hits 13
      Trunk Stories: More good reading
      Some Links
      New Boston Reading Series: Volunteers?
      What's Going On
      More Must-Have 1970s Albums
      Peapod Classics
      A November 10th Reminder

      Ignore what's below and order now:

      The Latest Entrants in Our Not to Be Missed, Cannot Be Beaten for Price Nor
      Quality Limited to 500 Copies Chapbook Series (Announced Alphabetically But
      Not Hyphenated) Are (Almost) Here!

      Despite being held up by a few small problems at the printer, these two new
      beautiful entrants into our amazingly low-priced chapbook series wherein
      lucky (and financially savvy) readers are introduced to (or reminded of)
      wonderful writers all in one small lovingly packaged book were about to fly
      through the mail to those shops and readers who are wonderful enough to have
      pre-ordered them. Without further adjective use, they are:

      1) Benjamin Rosenbaum, Other Cities, 48pp, $6

      Who? What? Cities? A dozen? In one small book? Illustrated by a Boston

      Multiple World Fantasy Award winner Jeffrey Ford (The Fantasy Writer's
      Assistant) says: "Other Cities by Ben Rosenbaum is a collection of fourteen
      gems, expertly cut and highly polished. Each contains, within its myriad
      facets, a metropolis, brimming with mystery, insight and wonder."

      Not only that, but 25% of the gross revenues from Other Cities will go
      to the Grameen Foundation USA: http://www.gfusa.org/
      That's $1.25 per chapbook. Buy two!

      And Bradley Denton (One Day Closer to Death: Eight Stabs at Immortality)
      says: "The eloquence and poignancy of each of these stories astonished me.
      "The City of Peace," alone, is enough to make one weep. But when read as a
      whole, Other Cities is not only harrowing, but exhilarating. It's a fearless
      exploration into both the heart of darkness and the soul of hope. Here,
      despair and joy are neither opposites nor antagonists -- but husband and
      wife, brother and sister, yin and yang. In these Cities of Humanity, you
      won't meet one without meeting the other."
      (There's more to this: http://www.lcrw.net/smallbeer/chapbooks/denton/1.htm)

      Rosenbuam's stories have appeared in Strange Horizons (where many of these
      city stories first appeared), Harper's, F&SF, LCRW, Asimov's, and other fine
      places. This is the first small collection of his work and is illustrated by
      Boston architect Peter Reiss.

      2) Christopher Rowe, Bittersweet Creek and Other Stories, 62pp, $6

      No.7 in the chapbook series is author and publisher Christopher Rowe's
      Bittersweet Creek, with a cover illustration by the wonderful Shelley
      Jackson. Bittersweet Creek gathers some of Rowe's best stories from recent
      years and solidifies his reputation as one of the up and coming writers in
      the speculative fiction field.

      Premiere storyteller Terry Bisson (The Pickup Artist) says: "This smart,
      sleek, scary little book is all about strange arrivals: girls coming up out
      of their graves, giants from their junkyards, dragons from their river beds.
      Add Rowe himself-- striding out of the Kentucky hills into the sunlight of
      literature's regard. And he looks good doing it."

      And even across the Atlantic in the UK the best writers are talking about
      Rowe. Justina Robson (Natural History) says: "Christopher Rowe's stories are
      the kind of thing you want on a cold, winter's night when the fire starts
      burning low. Reverent and irreverent in the same breath, chilling and funny
      by turns, they deliver the full measure required of short story tellers the
      world over; entertainment plus x, where x is a measure of internal vertigo
      caused by a sudden glimpse of a sheer drop. Terrific."

      Rowe's editorial skills are also on show in the latest ish of his zine,
      Say... http://www.lcrw.net/nonlcrwpages/fow/index.htm

      Something to read:

      Politics and fairy tales mix in this Ursula Pflug story, The Last Arabia
      Night found on the site of our Canadian distributor:

      And Some Zine:

      Almost forgot: there's a New, Color, Perfectbound, Seventy-Two (this ish
      dedicated to the three-day no-sleep production marathon) Page Extravaganza
      of Fiction that when you look at the cover you will see is Named

      -- There is fiction. Or, rather, there are Sixteen Fictions.
      -- There is Nonfiction. Four of.
      -- There is Poetry. Seven by three writers.
      -- And photographer Mieke Zuiderweg provides a cover, "Anticipation."
      -- There is even a drawing. But only one.
      -- There is a checklist that should keep you busy all winter (or summer,
      southern hemispherists).
      -- It is US$5.

      If a tree falls in a forest...

      This isn't the type of story you'll find in the first issue of a new zine,
      Trunk Stories, edited by William Smith (known to LCRW readers from his film
      column). Check out new stories, reviews, and dandy pen and ink illos all for
      a lower-than-expected price of $12. No, wait, $5. Oh yeah!

      Horn it is atuned to dogs and Quorn:
      Something about reprints:

      Kalpa Imperial: the greatest empire that never was
      by Angelica Gorodischer
      trans. by Ursula K. Le Guin

      Look for this some Sunday in a New York Time near you.

      "Those looking for offbeat literary fantasy will welcome Kalpa Imperial: The
      Greatest Empire That Never Was, by Argentinean writer Angélica Gorodischer.
      Translated from the Spanish by Ursula Le Guin, this is the first appearance
      in English of this prize-winning South American fantasist."
      -- Publishers Weekly

      Something about selling:

      We thought about looking at a book such as this one: Jeffrey Stamp
      "Meaningful Marketing: Selling More With Less Effort" but then we thought
      why don't we just insist that people buy more books. But then we realized
      that that would be rude. And we thought about how wonderful and how popular
      we would be if we never advertised. But then we questioned how anyone would
      ever hear about our books. And then we thought maybe other people will tell
      them. And we further thought that if we kept on writing in this style either
      of of you or one of would take the proverbial blunt object and put an end to
      us. But then

      Something on TV:

      The soundtrack for the new Super Mario ad is by Japanese popstar Mayumi
      Kojima (or Kojima Mayumi). Go to DeoDeo.com and order some. It's jazzy,
      energetic, freaky, lively. And now it's on TV. Wacky!

      The soundtrack to the best unwritten movies there are.

      On October 16th, the third floor art gallery at Avenue Victor Hugo Bookshop
      (AVH) in Boston, MA, played host to the final reading in the energetic and
      exciting cross-country Trampoline reading series. Missing from the line-up
      was Christopher Barzak, the Ohio writer who read at Joseph-Beth in
      Lexington, KY, the Ruminator in Minneapolis, MN, and Mac's Backs in
      Cleveland Heights, OH. Next time.

      Fueled by chocolate, snacks, and sparkling drinks (there's a no-alcohol rule
      in the gallery which is run by Johnson Paint next door to AVH), the three
      Boston-area readers, Alex Irvine, Vandana Singh, and Greer Gilman all gave
      fantastic readings -- no one believed Vandana when she claimed that it had
      been her first reading! Rounding out the evening was Greer Gilman's poetic
      and hypnotic reading from her novella, "A Crowd of Bone."

      The reading was so successful that Avenue Victor Hugo and Small Beer are
      going to kick off a series of readings there in the new year. The gallery
      space -- which looks down over Newbury Street -- is terrific and the
      browsing before the readings in AVH's beautiful new space was as fruitful as

      We are looking for volunteers to help with publicity, signage, space for
      out-of-town readers to crash, 40+ folding chairs(!), and so on. Does your
      company want its name in the paper every month as the reading series
      sponsor? Send us an email at info@... and we'll put together a group of
      interested people and see what we can do! Yeah!

      All this will begin in February 2004 at:

      Avenue Victor Hugo Bookshop
      353 Newbury St.
      Boston, MA 02115

      Drop by, say hi. Books for Thanksgiving and every day after.

      Peapod Classics

      2004 will see the first offshoot (not counting the People's Republic of
      Goreistan Nov.7-Dec. 11, 2000) of Small Beer Press.

      Peapod Classics will be our reprint line. We will be starting with a couple
      of titles next spring (so soon!) and a second season in fall (less than a
      year away!). Sadly we will miss the summer season completely. Except for
      those frontlist Small Beer books. You know, those. Well, more on that next
      time, too. Frontlist, backlist -- where's the gyroscope when you need it?

      We'll begin by reprinting a couple of books we love and hope to start
      parties all around the world (well, as far as Global Priority and a Jiffy
      Mailer will go...) when we announce the titles early in the new year. More
      on that next time. It's all about Good Books.

      Selling stuff online? Use this stuff and make us money. Go on, something has

      Start a Paypal Merchant account:

      <!-- Begin PayPal Logo --><A
      SRC="http://images.paypal.com/images/paypal_mrb_banner.gif" BORDER="0"
      ALT="Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments
      instantly."></A><!-- End PayPal Logo -->

      Or, alternatively, got a couple of hundred dollars you want to invest in a
      Minneapolis bookshop?

      Check the website for something special:

      Small Beer Press