Carol Emshwiller wins the Philip K. Dick Award

  • LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2003
      Carol Emshwiller wins the Philip K. Dick Award!

      July 15, 2003:
      Angelica Gorodischer, Kalpa Imperial (translated by Ursula K. Le Guin)
      Kelly Link edits Trampoline

      More:
      IAF
      Want a Prize?
      More
      New ish of The Urban Pantheist
      The Zine Yearbook reprints...
      A little more

      ###########################

      This news flash just hit the news desk at Small Beer Central. We are
      celebrating. This is your license to take the rest of the day off and
      celebrate, too.

      ###########################

      Philip K. Dick Awards
      c/o PO Box 3447
      Hoboken, NJ 07030
      (201) 876-2551
      www.philipkdickaward.org

      April 18, 2003

      For Immediate Release

      2002 Philip K. Dick Award Winner Announced

      The Philadelphia Science Fiction Society was pleased to announce Friday at
      Norwescon 26, in SeaTac, Washington, that the winner for the distinguished
      original science fiction paperback published for the first time during 2002
      in the U.S.A. is:

      THE MOUNT by Carol Emshwiller (Small Beer Press)

      Special citation was given to:

      THE SCAR by China Miéville (Del Rey Books)

      The Philip K. Dick Award is presented annually for distinguished science
      fiction published in paperback original form in the United States. The award
      is sponsored by the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. The 2002 judges
      were Shelley Rodrigo Blanchard, Michael Blumlein, Nalo Hopkinson (chair),
      Donna McMahon, Lois Tilton.

      The 2003 judges are Stephen L. Burns, Suzy McKee Charnas, Craig Jacobsen,
      Richard Parks, Janine Ellen Young

      For more information, contact the award administration:
      David G. Hartwell (914) 769-5545.
      Gordon Van Gelder (201) 876-2551

      For more information about the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society,
      http://www.psfs.org/:
      Contact Gary Feldbaum (215) 563-2511

      For more information about Norwescon: http://www.norwescon.org/:
      Contact NorthWest SF Society: (206) 270-7850

      ===end===

      ###########################

      Wow!

      ###########################

      Our two new books coming out later this year are just great. Pre-order them
      now and save on shipping. Pass that hot tip to friends. Go on, you all know
      someone who needs a trampoline, right? Or a translation of an Argentinean
      novel?

      But what if that trampoline was edited by Kelly Link and the novel was
      translated by Ursula K. Le Guin? Different story? Hope so!

      Covers (and a little more information) are now available online:

      http://www.lcrw.net/trampoline/index.htm
      http://www.lcrw.net/kalpa/index.htm

      ###########################

      Announcement: Interstitial Arts: Artists Without Borders

      Interstice: (noun) a crack, a crevice, a space between

      Interstitial: (adj) existing in the interstices; capable of binding two or
      more things together

      Interstitial Arts: art made in the interstices between genres and
      categories. Art that flourishes in the borderlands between disciplines,
      mediums, and cultures. Art that blurs the divide between fine art and craft,
      high art and low. Art that crosses boundaries. Artists without borders.

      Check it out: contribute an essay, read a book, walk along the cracks in the
      pavement:

      http://www.endicott-studio.com/IA/index.html

      ###########################
      A Prize For You

      Our website is chock full of broken links, outdated comma use, and misses
      and near misses of the spelling persuasion. Rather than

      So: the first person to email us with a broken link (no breaking them, now
      :) will win this extraordinary prize:
      http://www.lcrw.net/images/allsorts.jpg

      No hidden mailing fee, no have-to-subscribe to win. You sends in the
      mispelling (that one doesn't count) and you gets the Allsorts. If we have
      to, we will supply more Allsorts, or other prizes of similar worth.

      ###########################

      Happy Holiday of your choice.

      Hope it is sunny, but not too sunny. Hope there's food in your house, there
      are people you love, and there's a book, a zine, a comic, something good to
      read.

      Movies? You watch them, too? We liked "Bend it Like Beckham" (or any
      Brazilian player, really...) and "The In-Laws" recently. More crying in each
      of these than expected, though.

      Please, someone, where can we get The Italian Job on video, or DVD?

      ###########################

      New: The Urban Pantheist

      We used to think our fake ads were funny, but we are consistently knocked
      over by the ads on the back of The Urban Pantheist. The new issue, no.4,
      Spring 2003, has the usual ad, which we can't reproduce here, but, suffice
      to say, it made us laugh pretty hard.

      Contents include articles such as "In Defense of Artifice (Cautiously)"
      [wherein the Urban Pantheist tries for the fourth time to define "nature"
      and contemplates humans as somehow outside of nature], "...Among Us" [the
      Urban Pantheist takes on the Fifth Kingdom, fungi], and the informative "How
      to Make a Spore Print" [the cover image explained].
      http://www.lcrw.net/nonlcrwpages/urban.htm

      ###########################

      The Zine Yearbook

      Every year some brave souls read hundreds (thousands?) of nominations from
      zines from all round the world (yes, it could be your zine, yes, you could
      nominate stuff) and pick what looks best to them.

      Last year, Zine Yearbook picked up Margaret Muirhead's "Simple Living" for
      reprinting, and this year we're happy to say that Gavin's satirical piece
      "Oil and Greece" (concerning George W. Bush's transliterations of ancient
      Greek texts) will be reprinted in the new Zine Yearbook.

      Pre-order it now at culture-jamming-central (Clamor Magazine's site):
      http://www.clamormagazine.org/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B
      TM&Product_Code=ZY007&Category_Code=ZY

      ###########################

      By the way: we'll post customer reviews of our books, zines, chocolate bars,
      etc. soon. Email us your review. Go on.

      And letters, on the letters pages.

      And remember to send questions to our Advice Guru: Ms. Gwenda Bond
      info@...?subject=Ms.Bond

      ###########################

      (From PW Daily) Best of the Web: What Bezos Is Worth

      Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon.com, earned just $81,840 last year in
      salary, the same as the two previous years. He did cash in an
      estimated $27.2 million in stock options back in 201 and holds 108
      million Amazon.com shares, valued at about $2.8 billion, based on the
      company's closing share price of $25.67 last Thursday.
      http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030411/amazon_com_bezos_1.html

      It's all about books, baby.

      What are we doing, where are we going? Occasional updates here:
      http://www.lcrw.net/lcrw/notajournal.htm

      Mmm. Summer on the horizon. Mmm. Chocolate.