Rain Means Thaw

  • LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2003
      No weather discussions here, move along
      Carol Emshwiller gets Nominationed
      Chocolate, yes, Macy's, no
      A little bit of activism
      More BMP
      Coupons coding
      Be Good Tanyas
      Even More

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      Carol Emshwiller's two books have both been nominated for the Philip K. Dick
      Award. Which means that no matter who wins, Carol will lose. Or, to put it a
      brighter way, she has twice the chance of winning. But there are some other
      wonderful books up there, too, check them out, whydon'tcha?

      The award is given annually for science fiction published as a paperback
      original in the USA. The award will be awarded on April 18, 2003 at
      Norwescon 26 in SeaTac, Washington. Jane Yolen will be GoH at Norwescon, so
      if you're in the area, drop by.

      The PKD is not the only award Carol is up for. Her story, "Creature,"
      originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction and
      reprinted in Report to the Men's Club, is on the final ballot for the Nebula
      Award. Believe it or not, this is Carol's first (but surely not last?)
      Nebula nomination.

      You can read "Creature" -- and a whole host of other good stuff by authors
      such as Ursula K. Le Guin, Charles Coleman Finlay, Richard Bowes, Ted
      Chiang, Gregory Frost, Jeffrey Ford, Tim Pratt, and more.

      Can a Nobel Prize be far off?

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      Macy's Milk Chocolate Bars

      Whoops. Bought these thinking they would be fun to send out to our chocolate
      subscribers. No, they wouldn't. Maybe I was dazzled by the bubbly yellow cab
      drawing on the front -- or simpley the word 'chocolate' -- either way, there
      appears to have been a short circuit on the critical radar.

      What's the first ingredient on the list? Sugar. Oh. Second? Cocoa butter. Oh
      no. Oh well. They're made by Joseph Schmidt Confections who "specializes in
      chocolate truffles and novelties." Oh well, indeed. So now we can be found
      in the chocolate (a)isle of the local grocery closely reading ingredients
      lists on chocolate bars and later at home doing the hard, messy, thankless
      task of testing, testing, testing. Mmm hmm.

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      In the USA? Unhappy (or happy...) with Bush the Younger's revenge War-4-Oil?
      Take a moment and write to your Senators and Congresspeople. Here are the
      links. It really is that easy.

      More? How about the Pres and VP?
      Yes, you can send your protest emails to W the Younger and
      Stuck-in-the-bunker Cheney here:

      http://www.Google.com your local council, see if they, like Northampton, MA,
      and many other places, will pass an anti-war resolution.

      Sadly UK Prime Minister Tony "Negative Numbers" Blair doesn't have a public
      email address on the No.10 Downing Street website. Doesn't he have email
      counters like the White House? You can, however, send him a 300-person
      petition about anything you like. Including small fiction magazines, I

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      Three Good Things
      (see January 7th, 2003)

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      World (and Wold) Shocked as Books Found Stored in Brooklyn

      Bunch! Lafferty in Orbit, Sinbad: the 13th Voyage, and more from the secret
      hideout of Broken Mirrors Press. More issues of Crank! More books, more good

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      This one leaves us speechless: AOLTW Loses US$98.7 billion (anyone found it?
      Willing to share?)
      Ted Turner, the billionaire philanthropist and CNN founder, is quitting as
      vice-chairman of media giant AOL Time Warner in May. The announcement
      accompanied news that the dysfunctional group had suffered a world record
      US$98.7 billion loss in 2002. AOLTW's value has plummeted by more than
      US$100 billion in the past 18 months -­ the equivalent of wiping out New
      Zealand's economy almost twice over.

      Amazed? Horrified? Amused? Then go support Salon: http://www.salon.com/

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      "Where have you been recently?"
      "Oh, hanging around the American Dry Bean Board."
      "A Nutritional Power House. Hell, yeah."

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      A very few days to save money off t-shirts, mice, etc. Here is the very
      tempting email sent to our headquarters, then spiffed up, shone, then
      depolished and returned to its original state and forwarded to you and
      yours. Yes, send it to family and tell them, dammit, if you're going to buy
      me some piece of junk for my birthday that is not either one of those
      hunking great remote control Tonka Trucks or at least a good new pair of
      socks, then get me some of this, ok?

      - Coupon code is PREZDAY
      - *Customer must spend $40 or more in products (that does not include
      shipping, tax and gift services) to qualify for the $5 off coupon
      - Customer will enter coupon code, PREZDAY, at checkout to redeem coupon
      - Coupon starts February 17, 2003 and expires February 28, 2003

      ...and the latest store: http://www.cafeshops.com/lordstink

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      One of our favorite bookshops (and the list grows longer every day) Avenue
      Victor Hugo in Boston, MA, has moved.

      If you are in the area, drop by. You can still help out! Soon there's be a
      party celebrating the new place, don't miss out. There's an art gallery,
      Johnson's, on the third floor, which would make a great room for readings...

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      Kelly Link will be doing a couple of readings soon. Catch up with her
      reading "Catskin" (from McSweeney's no.10) or something even newer here:

      More news from Kelly -- she has a story coming out later this year or early

      Kelly is right now finishing up editing Trampoline, an anthology of new and
      surprising fiction which we here at Small Beer will publish in July of this
      year. There are stories from such well-known names as Karen Joy Fowler and
      Jeffrey Ford as well as from up-and-comers and who­are-theys? that will have
      people dancing in the streets. Keeping us busy, keeping us happy.

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      The Be Good Tanyas have a new CD, Chinatown, coming out and thanks to the
      miracles of international shipping we got a British copy of it. Is it as
      good as their first CD, Blue Horse? Repeated listening suggest that yes,
      this will be another one that will take hold of the CD player and not let

      They tend to tour a lot, so be on the lookout for them. When we saw them
      (with the wonderful Kathleen Edwards in tow) one of the singers had a slight
      cold, yet they still managed to be fantastic. Very highly recommended.

      === abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ===

      Please forward to friends and relatives, real estate agents and soap opera

      Yours, etc.

      The Members of the Rumbledethump and Crepe Makers Union 401