Summer Burblings of a Small Press

  • LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      From: LCRW <info@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:02:06 -0400
      To: LCRW <info@...>
      Subject: Again, the Burblings of a Small Press

      -- Slightly Slanted
      -- LCRW no.10
      -- Readercon
      -- A New Chapbook: Alex Irvine
      -- Look! Carol Emshwiller on TV!
      -- Bowling Green, OH
      -- Links and such

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Reader (Constant and otherwise):

      Our latest issue of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet has hit the stands at
      a surprising number of shops, distros, etc. Reaction has varied, but our
      seemingly perennial problem with reprinting an excerpt from a Barbara Gilly
      novel continues, hence the following letters:

      Dear Mr. Grant:

      My copy of LADY CHURCHILL'S was missing pages 23-26. Please send me a
      replacement copy...

      More letters: href="http://www.lcrw.net/comments

      Our heartfelt apologies to Ms. Gilly's friends, family, and fans, who are
      right to be upset, but wrong to think that a trip to the courthouse is the
      right way to sort this out. We'll work it out, maybe not in time for the
      next big issue (do we sound too much like Letterman there?), but soon. We
      promise.

      Our earlier description may come back to haunt us:

      "No.10 has stories from Jeffrey Ford, Christopher Barzak, Steven Bratman, a
      glossy pull-out centerpiece excerpt of Barbara Gilly's first novel, Timmi
      Duchamp on a mystery or two, William Smith on the movies, and a few more
      wonderful things. Call us generous (or daft, either way), this one's a good
      48 pages."

      Sigh.

      Otherwise, the issue is strong and hearty. It exercises, eats three meals a
      day and, whenever it goes to Canada, it collects Crunchies to go out to
      those Chocolate subscribers. Mmm. Crunchie.

      News about Old LCRWs:

      -- "Simple Living" by Margaret Muirhead will be reprinted in this year's
      Zine Yearbook!
      -- "Annabelle's Alphabet" by Tim Pratt will be reprinted in both the The
      Best of the Rest 3 and The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror XV!
      http://www.lcrw.net/issues/lcrw9.htm

      And no.8 is about to be retired from the field. It was a hearty number, a
      strong number, it never did no steroids, it never gave up and settled for a
      tie, it never misplaced billions of dollars. Would it have beaten Brazil in
      the final? (to mix sports, since everything else is a little mixed-up.) I
      doubt it, but there's always that chance, that little chance, that says if
      you can get the ball up there in the box, you might score. Ole!

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      We'll be at Readercon (near Boston) this weekend. Stop by and say hi. Kelly
      Link will be reading, and so will Gavin Grant(!).

      Panels include one on "(How to) Start Your Own Magazine/Press" -- let's see
      if we can encourage someone else to do it, too!
      http://www.readercon.org

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      ~~~ Chapbooks!

      Due to deadlines and such, Judith Berman's chapbook has been indefinitely
      postponed. Pre-orderers will be contacted and will be given the choice of
      other stuff, or a refund. Sorry about that. We still hope to produce this,
      but are unsure when it will come out, so a postponement seems in order.

      However!

      Alex Irvine's chapbook ROSETTI SONG: FOUR STORIES isn't coming out from
      Pressed Fish Press or any other conglomerate, it's being published by Small
      Beer Press in July 2002. It contains the following stories:

      "Rosetti Song" (Alex's first published story, and a real good one, too)
      "The Sands of Iwo Jima" -- NEW!
      "Akhenaten"
      "The Sea Wind Offers Little Relief"

      It's 72 pages, $6 by mail, and beautiful.

      We'll have one of these stories up online before long. Alex's debut novel, A
      SCATTERING OF JADES, is out, and we like it. It's not just us, it's getting
      good reviews in the Washington Post, Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, and BookPage
      (hee hee!) that we know of. Go Alex, go good books.

      http://www.lcrw.net/smallbeer/alexirvine.htm

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Carol Emshwiller Update

      The reviews are beginning to trickle in:

      Kirkus Reviews says of REPORT TO THE MEN'S CLUB AND OTHER STORIES:

      "A daring, eccentric, and welcome observer of darkly human ways emerges from
      these 19 motley tales."

      -- Publishers Weekly gave THE MOUNT a starred review!

      "Brilliantly conceived and painfully acute in its delineation of the complex
      relationships between masters and slaves, pets and owners, the served and
      the serving, this poetic, funny and above all humane novel deserves to be
      read and cherished as a fundamental fable for our material-minded times."

      And, now we've posted the first chapter of THE MOUNT online:
      http://www.lcrw.net/carolemshwiller/themount/chapter1.htm

      Carol is out west and has been on about four TV shows in the last month!
      Wow! More good news: Fantastic Metropolis is doing a feature on her, so
      watch out for that at http://www.sfsite.com/fm

      Read more about Carol (find the photos!):
      http://www.lcrw.net/carolemshwiller

      What's it like? It's like the biggest zine store you've ever been in. We
      traded, bought and sold, and swapped like it was the last episode of Swap
      Shop (sort of a reference for fans of 1970s UK kid's TV). Good golly, Miss
      Molly, there were more famous people there than a stick could be shaken at.
      There were at least two great places for lunch (i.e. we were there two days
      and had two great lunches), and, reportedly, there's a great place to bowl
      where the beer is but a buck 25. Really. Sadly we were worn down and sick as
      dogs, so did not attend the bowlfest. Next year our planning will be better.

      Highlights included: the whole weekend, I'm telling you.

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      To embarrass Gavin a little less, every second reader should please ignore
      this section, thank you.

      Gavin J. Grant recently had poems in Full Unit Hookup and Turbocharged
      Fortune Cookie, and has one upcoming in Backyard Ashes, no.3. A short story
      of his is included in the premiere issue of The Journal of Pulse-Pounding
      Narratives.
      http://members.aol.com/fullunithookup/index.html
      http://www.turbocookie.net/
      http://mothaxle.com/JPPN.html

      He was also recently interviewed about Small Beer Press for RevolutionSF and
      Poets & Writers.
      http://www.RevolutionSF.com

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      First: Kelly Link is done with her big tour (although she just added a
      reading date in September in Philadelphia).

      Shelley Jackson kept a tour diary here:
      http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0402/jackson/tourdiary.html

      And Kelly posted part of one here:
      http://www.booksense.com/people/tours/link1.jsp
      -- she promises to catch up if she has a moment off!

      Kelly's tour dates:
      http://www.lcrw.net/kellylink/calendar.htm

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      What else is going on in the textual world? A small sample:

      There's a new issue of Rain Taxi. There's a good piece on Sigrid Unset
      (really!), and reviews of books we really love: Luis Aloberto Urrea's new
      collection of short stories, SIX KINDS OF SKY (Cinco Puntos
      http://www.cincopuntos.com) and Patrick O'Leary's THE IMPOSSIBLE BIRD (Tor),
      aas well as lots of other good stuff. It's usually free in bookshops across
      the counttry, but this ish only comes to subscribers (hint, hint. Since
      subscriptions are really, really cheap, we recommend it.
      http://www.raintaxi.com

      Xerography Debt No.8 is out and should be ordered in paper form for maximum
      browsing pleasure. More reviews of zines that will give your hours of fun
      stuffing well-concealed cash into envelopes. Even more reviewers and
      somewhere in there, a review of LCRW (which, due to its graphic form, is not
      online) http://www.leekinginc.com

      The premier issue of Turbocharged Fortune Cookie is here and it is worth
      your spondoodlies. Yep, all three of them. That, or three US dollars ($3)
      will get you a copy (http://www.turbocookie.net).

      Easier way:

      The zine reviews from LCRW 10 are now online, and we've added a bunch more
      since we managed to pick up a few zines someplace in the meantime. They
      should all be found here:
      http://www.lcrw.net/books/reviews10.htm

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Curious what people do when they're stuck in the middle of nowhere with
      nothing but a trowel and a brush to hand? Jack Cheng tells all:

      http://www.booksense.com/people/archive/chengjack.jsp

      __

      And if you've easily ignored all that's come before, now's the time to pay
      attention. There's a new short story by Karen Joy Fowler online at
      Scifiction:

      http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/

      "We seven went into the jungle with guns in our hands and love in our
      hearts."

      ________________----------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      -- Look Ma, all them books have almost the same ISBNs!
      -- Yep.

      STRANGER THINGS HAPPEN
      http://www.booksense.com/product/info.jsp?affiliateId=beer&isbn=1931520003

      MEET ME IN THE MOON ROOM
      http://www.booksense.com/product/info.jsp?affiliateId=beer&isbn=1931520011

      REPORT TO THE MEN'S CLUB AND OTHER STORIES
      http://www.booksense.com/product/info.jsp?affiliateId=beer&isbn=193152002X

      THE MOUNT
      http://www.booksense.com/product/info.jsp?affiliateId=beer&isbn=1931520038

      Feel free to pass this newsletter on to any friends, neighbors, or family
      who might like a little magazine in their lives.

      Small Beer Press
      http://www.lcrw.net