Re: [laxastro] Mirror recoating

  • Rick KB9TKG
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2008
      This is interesting... I don't know if the club scope's mirror needs
      coating but I wouldn't send it to Cary if it needed coating and I
      wouldn't promote his service. BTW, he used to be known as Woden
      Optics.

      Cary did the final finishing on my 10" mirror. By the test spec I was
      sent, it should be a fine mirror. I have no problem with his
      mirror-making skills. At that time he was sending his mirrors to L &
      L Optical for coating. I had paid Cary up front for the coating and
      there was a period of time where I wasn't sure that I would get my
      mirror back because he hadn't paid L & L for the coating service. It
      took 3-4 weeks to resolve the issue.

      I would, however, recommend L & L for coating service.

      Rick

      On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM, starman1944 <allen.robe@...> wrote:
      > Dear Astronomy Enthusiast,
      >
      > We are contacting you because you are listed in public databases as
      > your astronomy club contact. We are writing to offer an introductory
      > special to astronomy clubs for the recoating of club owned mirrors.
      > In particular we are offering re-coating of one club owned mirror for
      > a $20.00 flat fee. The offer is good for mirrors up to 16"
      > diameter. In exchange, we are asking for a small bit of promotion to
      > your club members.
      >
      > For more details, please visit the following web page:
      >
      > http://www.opticwavelabs.com/cluboffer.html
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Cary Chleborad
      >
      > www.opticwavelabs.com

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2008
        i have for 30+ years of ATM ing have naver had a problem with Clausing
        out of skokie illinois.

        Joe DZSP

        Rick KB9TKG wrote:

        >This is interesting... I don't know if the club scope's mirror needs
        >coating but I wouldn't send it to Cary if it needed coating and I
        >wouldn't promote his service. BTW, he used to be known as Woden
        >Optics.
        >
        >Cary did the final finishing on my 10" mirror. By the test spec I was
        >sent, it should be a fine mirror. I have no problem with his
        >mirror-making skills. At that time he was sending his mirrors to L &
        >L Optical for coating. I had paid Cary up front for the coating and
        >there was a period of time where I wasn't sure that I would get my
        >mirror back because he hadn't paid L & L for the coating service. It
        >took 3-4 weeks to resolve the issue.
        >
        >I would, however, recommend L & L for coating service.
        >
        >Rick
        >
        >On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM, starman1944 <allen.robe@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Dear Astronomy Enthusiast,
        >>
        >>We are contacting you because you are listed in public databases as
        >>your astronomy club contact. We are writing to offer an introductory
        >>special to astronomy clubs for the recoating of club owned mirrors.
        >>In particular we are offering re-coating of one club owned mirror for
        >>a $20.00 flat fee. The offer is good for mirrors up to 16"
        >>diameter. In exchange, we are asking for a small bit of promotion to
        >>your club members.
        >>
        >>For more details, please visit the following web page:
        >>
        >>http://www.opticwavelabs.com/cluboffer.html
        >>
        >>All the best,
        >>
        >>Cary Chleborad
        >>
        >>www.opticwavelabs.com

      • Mike Rowlands
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2008
          Sorry for the late reply.  The club scope's mirror coating isn't great, but it isn't terrible.  Probably not worth putting money into for now.  One of these days we'll get a  public observing session that isn't clouded out so you guys can take a look.  I've used the solar filter several times, pin-holes and all, and the sun looks pretty good.  I'm still trying to get around to re-doing the aperture mask.

          If we aren't going to see you Wednesday night, could you post how your scope project is going?

          Mike R.