Re: [laxastro] Re: Astronomy Day, April 28th, 2012

  • jondannehy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28 7:56 AM
      Ok Thanks for making the call. Maybe next year,

      Jon

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28 8:15 AM
        Don't forget, they're every 6 months!

        Mike R.

        Ok Thanks for making the call. Maybe next year,

        Jon

        Okay, with the cold temp, clouds, and likely rain, we're going to call it a No-Go for the daytime observing.

        Stay tuned for another Go/No-Go for tonight!

        Mike R.

        Mike - I don't think there will be many people coming to Riverside Park, even if they had thought about it or planned to. On a decent day there would be local people heading there or "hotel" people taking a walk. I put it in newspaper, tv, and some radio station event calendars, but put "if clear" in the info.

        Like you say, if it was just cloudy, it would be worthwhile. There have been some short intervals this morning when it wasn't raining, but it has been sprinkles, showers, or light rain most of the time. Don't know when that will change.

        --- In laxastro@yahoogroups.com, "fastsedan" <fastsedan@...> wrote:

        > As of about 9:00am, although it looks like there may be a pause in the rain, it's hard to say when it will get here. The visible satellite image looks like indefinite solid cloud cover.
        >
        > Bob, what do you think?
        >
        > Mike R.
        >

        > --- In laxastro@yahoogroups.com, "fastsedan" <fastsedan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The weather report looks pretty dismal, but then I've been out 5 nights in a row when the prediction was for mostly cloudy! At any rate, it occurred to me that even if it's cloudy during the day, we could set up a couple scopes and have flyers at a table. If it's raining, I'd say No-Go. I'm inclined to cancel the evening observing if it's cloudy though (rain or not).
        > >
        > > What do you think, and who can help out?
        > > 11:00am to 2:00pm
        > > 8:00pm to 10:30pm
        > >
        > > Note that I'll post a Go/No-Go by 10:00am and 7:00pm.
        > >
        > > Mike R.

      • Paul and Wina
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28 12:47 PM
          Good thinking!  They slide otherwise, and that’s a pain.

          Paul

          Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:09 AM
          Subject: Re: [laxastro] Astronomy Day, April 28th, 2012

          No problem.  Hope to see you tonight if it's a Go.

          Hey, I finally got around to making PEX slo-mo controls for my CG5.  I used 2" by 3/16" hardwood discs from Hobby Lobby for the knobs.  Instead of using glue or loc-tite on the 1/4-20 screws, I put small hose clamps over the PEX, which along with an inside star washer, keep the discs secure.  I also added a hose clamp to the one you made for the EQ2(?) that you donated to the club.

          Mike R.

          Turns out I have a commitment to take my son to an activity today that conflicts with the event in the morning.  I’m not sure yet about tonight. Sorry!

          Paul

          The weather report looks pretty dismal, but then I've been out 5 nights in a row when the prediction was for mostly cloudy! At any rate, it occurred to me that even if it's cloudy during the day, we could set up a couple scopes and have flyers at a table. If it's raining, I'd say No-Go. I'm inclined to cancel the evening observing if it's cloudy though (rain or not).

          What do you think, and who can help out?
          11:00am to 2:00pm
          8:00pm to 10:30pm

          Note that I'll post a Go/No-Go by 10:00am and 7:00pm.

          Mike R.

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Mike Rowlands
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28 4:52 PM
            As of about 6:50pm, it looks like it will be overcast all evening.  It's a No-Go for tonight.

            Mike R.