Bar Procedures and Problems

  • lawschoolbarhelp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2009
      Having gone through the Bar Admission process, does anyone have any
      questions or concerns about applying to the Board of Bar Examiners?
    • shawnhenry.oliver
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2009
        --- In lawschoolbarinfo@yahoogroups.com, "lawschoolbarhelp"
        <lawschoolbarhelp@...> wrote:

        > Having gone through the Bar Admission process, does anyone have any
        > questions or concerns about applying to the Board of Bar Examiners?

        I am a perspective law student. I am not yet in law school, but I
        intend on applying for 2010. When applying for law school i understand
        they look over your history for any issues that may preclude you from
        bar certification if you may be stopped by the character & fitness
        board.

        My question is whether or not something small like a misdemeanor drug
        charge nearly 20 years ago will be a real stumbling block - no other
        trouble since then...
      • lawschoolbarhelp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2009
          As a new group and new board, I encourage all others to chime in and
          give their advice.

          As to your question, the short answer is "NO." In my opinion, if you
          have a drug possession charge 20 years ago, and if you disclose this
          to your law school in the application, and also disclose to the bar on
          their application, I do not think you will have any problems.

          Worst case scenario is the bar may want to talk to you about the
          incident, but if you fully disclose it, there should be no problem.
          You can get a lawyer to go through your background and offer you an
          advisory opinion, but they are expensive and not worth it. It may run
          up to $1,000. The Bar cares about candor; be truthful and you
          shouldn't have a problem.

          Hope this helps.

          --- In lawschoolbarinfo@yahoogroups.com, "shawnhenry.oliver"
          <shawn.h.oliver@...> wrote:

          > --- In lawschoolbarinfo@yahoogroups.com, "lawschoolbarhelp"
          > <lawschoolbarhelp@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Having gone through the Bar Admission process, does anyone have any
          > > questions or concerns about applying to the Board of Bar Examiners?
          > >
          > I am a perspective law student. I am not yet in law school, but I
          > intend on applying for 2010. When applying for law school i understand
          > they look over your history for any issues that may preclude you from
          > bar certification if you may be stopped by the character & fitness
          > board.
          >
          > My question is whether or not something small like a misdemeanor drug
          > charge nearly 20 years ago will be a real stumbling block - no other
          > trouble since then...

        • aalmi002
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
            Ya, you definitely have to disclose that! You have to disclose any crimes you committed in
            the past no matter if it's a misdemeanor or felony or it's from more than 20 years ago. It's
            all relevant in the character and fitness test. Remember they do do background checks on
            you through a finger print scan to confirm whether you have a criminal history or not and
            all public records.