[lawnwranglers] home fries

  • seth Triezenberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 1999
      hello everybody,
      Is anyone else excited that home fries is coming out on dvd and video on
      the 30th. I am. I thought the movie was very funny even though I don't
      think it should be advertised as a drew movie but instead a luke wilson
      and jake busey movie cause that is really what it was. Anyway, does
      anyone know what other luke wilson movies are available on video cause I
      think he is da coolest.
      Seth Triezenberg

      bruisedpansy@...

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/lawnwranglers
    • The Failure Network
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 21, 1999
        On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, seth Triezenberg wrote:
        >Is anyone else excited that home fries is coming out on dvd and video on
        >the 30th. I am. I thought the movie was very funny even though I don't
        >think it should be advertised as a drew movie but instead a luke wilson
        >and jake busey movie cause that is really what it was.

        i don't know about excited about video release, but i was pleasantly
        surprised when i saw it in the theater. i thought that it was going to
        be this schmaltzy love story based on how they promoted it, but it
        turned out to be this odd quirky story somewhat like the coen brothers
        stuff. it got bad reviews overall, iirc, but i enjoyed it.

        >Anyway, does anyone know what other luke wilson movies are available on
        >video cause I think he is da coolest.

        i keep hearing about this movie called _bottle rocket_ or something
        like that that i think he had a part in... ;)

        he had a very small part in _scream 2_ that was quite hilarious (but
        he was only on-screen for about 30 to 60 seconds). i tripped out when
        i watched it in the theaters and saw him and figured out who it was.

        the best way to figure this kind of thing out is probably to go to the
        internet movie database (www.imdb.com) and look his name up and see
        what it shows...it's a great resource.

        --
        TaKe a WaLK THRouGH THe LaND oF SHaDoWS / <scholar and fool>
        TaKe a WaLK THRouGH THe PeaCeFuL MeaDoWS / slacker@...

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/lawnwranglers
      • Belaroo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28 6:13 AM
          i gotta say, homefries was on cable the other day. i had already seen it and
          hated it but i was sick in bed and there wasn't much else on. zurik is
          right. it's not that bad. the best part about it is luke's signature
          "casual acting". yes, the plot was kinda thin but i'm sure they weren't
          trying to win any awards with it. it looks like it was shot for fun. has
          that become wrong? it wasn't with my money.
        • ScVns@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28 9:16 PM
            it was shot for fun. i don't think so. i don't think people spend millions
            of dollars without the prospect of making it back. But i am sure it was fun.
            you know, why not.
          • drink coke.
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 24, 2001

              So home fries was on TNT and i saw it for the first time. It wasn't bad, really. But what's the deal with the dignan-wanna-be? How do you get the star of a movie like bottle-rocket to reprise his roll in such a cheesy way? I guess both characters have their differences but their too close to call. But what a sound track.

            • MarquisDeSuave@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 24, 2001
                Actually, I thought Home Fries was horrific. Little Plot, bad script, worse
                acting. And yeah, Jake Busey did a bad job trying to be Dignan. Might as
                well just went out and got Owen for the role. Anyway, it was Drew
                Barrymore's pet vanity project (oh wouldnt it be cute if me and my boyfriend
                did a movie together).

                Dane
              • Miss Marianna Longmire
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 25, 2001
                  HEY!
                  no slagging off on Drew Barrymore please.

                  Mary.

                  >From: MarquisDeSuave@...
                  >To: lawnwranglers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [lawnwranglers] home fries
                  >Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:04:40 EST
                  >
                  >Actually, I thought Home Fries was horrific. Little Plot, bad script,
                  >worse
                  >acting. And yeah, Jake Busey did a bad job trying to be Dignan. Might as
                  >well just went out and got Owen for the role. Anyway, it was Drew
                  >Barrymore's pet vanity project (oh wouldnt it be cute if me and my
                  >boyfriend
                  >did a movie together).
                  >

                  >Dane

                • drink coke.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 25, 2001

                    Well, my gut tells me they originally did try to get owen for the project.

                    I still think it was a good movie. It had interesting sets ands great music. And it was funny, at times. What's more though, i think dispite the fact that these characters are a little borrowed they were very interesting, especially Luke Wilson's character. Like the la maige (spelling?) class; his discomfort here is felt clearly through the medium. I think that scene especially was wonderfully acted, even if it was a little unreaslistic. And the whole plot of course is a hackneyed at this point but i still think the feeling potrayed was distinct and interesting enough. I really expected it to be a terrible movie, but watching it, although they were certain faults here and there, it was still  captivating.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                      Home Fries was amazingly funny. Has anyone ever seen
                      the Third Man? Goddamn me, but I just watched that
                      whole thing and Orson Welles, billed first, wasn't in
                      it until the last thirty minutes and had four scenes.
                      It was like The Evening Star all over again: waiting,
                      waiting, and waiting for Jack Nicholson that whole
                      movie only to find he comes in for three scenes,
                      nearly at the end, and leaves again. Fuck me.

                      ANother great movie for that guy looking for great
                      movies: Touch of Evil, and Orson Welles movie in
                      1959. It pre-dates Psycho (the deserted motel) and
                      MTV's quick-cutting style, which should have been
                      credited to Welles.

                      O Dogilicious

                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                    • MarquisDeSuave@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                        Have to disagree with you on Home Fries. The scene where Luke Wilson is
                        dressed up like the SpaceMan and "rescues" the fast food patrons was far and
                        away one of the worst directed scenes ever. I almost felt sorry for Luke in
                        the film, then again, he was bagging Drew at the time, so my pity was lifted.

                        Dane
                      • sterling kincaid
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                          Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the most over-rated
                          film of last year. Listen to the dialogue, lame as
                          hell. Don;t tell me it was a foreign film and the
                          translation made it bad. SO what. Look at good films
                          that have been translated. 8 1/2? Any Bergman movie?
                          Breathless? Any Trauffaut movie? The Conformist?
                          My LIfe as a Dog? Those are good movies, with good
                          stories and dialogue. Crouching Tiger had very,very
                          lame dialogue, way too over-dramatic. And don't tell
                          me that it is just the way fairy tales are told in
                          that country, in an over-dramatic sense, that doesn't
                          make a movie better. And the action scenes were
                          beautiful, but well-choreographed action does not save
                          a film from being a big disappointment. I never even
                          made it through to the end, real close though. I left
                          early, something I have never done for any movie
                          except for a christopher lambert movie where he was
                          inprisoned for getting his wife pregnant. I left
                          early for Rocco's Bros, a visconti movie that was good
                          (and translated).

                          Was steve martin any good? I bet he was. I thought
                          Dancer in the Dark was the best movie last year. Then
                          again, LA Confidential was the best movie of its year
                          and it didn't win.

                          Odysseus

                        • Legobon@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                            I thought Steve had his moments, but they all looked very contrived.
                            Especially the exchanges with actors in the audience. Also he was pretty
                            insulting toward a lot of people. He made a pedophile joke, a gay joke, and
                            teased the Chinese for their English. I've never seen anything like that
                            before! I thought he was better than Billy Crystal.
                            Anyone who saw the Oscars, what was going on with Danny DeVito? Is he OK?
                          • Adam Ridley
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                              I think the Russian montage "gang" are the orignal quick cutters in my book.

                              -Man With The Movie Camera

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                                Yeah, but the karate scenes kick ass.
                              • MarquisDeSuave@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                                  I think DeVito looked like an old Italian auteur. I have to say, his outfit
                                  was one of the highlights of the evening. And yeah, Steve Martin kicked ass,
                                  although I doubt he will do it again.

                                  Bjork was cool. I thought the Randy Newman bit was horrid, and made a good
                                  point to have him lipsynch from now on. Newman is sort of the Susan Lucci of
                                  the OSCARS. Nominated 15 times, and 0 wins.

                                  As far as the Albert Finney/ Del Toro question, I think they were equally
                                  good, but Del Toro's performance was more textured. Plus Finney hates award
                                  shows anyhow.

                                  Best speech had to be either Soderburgh or the cinematographer for
                                  Tiger/Dragon. Anybody who can thank 50 people in under 45 seconds has to be
                                  commended.

                                  Dane
                                • MarquisDeSuave@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 26, 2001
                                    Last word about the Oscars, what the hell was up with Russell Crowe's hair??
                                    Was he auditioning to be the new singer for Depeche Mode?? Or the Smiths??

                                    Dane
                                  • sterling kincaid
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 31, 2001
                                      I thought about that, but they cut from scene to other
                                      scene and what I was refering to was the tendency to
                                      cut fast within a scene, low angles, etc. I liked man
                                      with a movie camera. Did you ever see the sinking of
                                      the lusitania?

                                    • MilesAway8@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
                                        mary writes:

                                        HEY!
                                        no slagging off on Drew Barrymore please.

                                        shutup goodshoes you loser

                                        "Women are not physically fit to operate automobiles."
                                                          --Mark Breith (former mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio)