Re: [latinperc] brikamo rythm and simale

  • barry cox
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8 7:43 AM
      I seem to have missed the original mail on this topic, but anyway, here goes:

      The "Fur� article" is actually the last half of the book, " Dialogos Imaginarios" By Rogelio Martinez Fure. I've been trying to find a copy for a while but finally only tracked one down in the library here, which I made a copy of.

      There is a chapter on Brikamo, which I have only skimmed, but for what it's worth, I remember it saying that they (Brikamo and Abakua) are definitely from the same (Calabar) region of Africa. There were enough Brikamo in Matanzas to establish a cabildo, of which the Calle family were an important part ( I wonder if any relation to Florencio Calle of Los Munequitos?).

      Informants tell him that the music and dance is "exactly" the same as for Abakua, only the dance was done, instead of by a costumed Ireme, by a male-female couple (with no special costume)...

      I also learned that the coro:

      "Bera, yo no bera un beragua"

      which I've heard used in columbias, is of brikamo origin...

      It will be interesting after reading this article more thoroughly to re-read Thompson's "Flash of the Spirit" chapter on the Leopard (abakua, nanigo) societies.

      Never heard of simale either.

      Barry

      --

      On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:42:30
      Steve Tierra wrote:
      >At 01:52 PM 06/07/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      >>Brikimo, isn't that abakua? I don't think I have ever heard of simale.
      >
      >Barry?....I noticed both Brikamo and Abacu� mentioned in the Fur� article.
      >I know it doesn't touch on the music itself but perhaps the relationship of
      >the two? I'm still buried in the Ortiz Yuka section.
      >
      >I THINK I have some basic Brikamo notation somewhere, though I can't vouch
      >for its veracity.
      >
      >Give me a day to look int it.
      >
      >Steve

      Get 250 color business cards for FREE!