New 8x14

  • mineralman55
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
      I picked up my 8x14 from Bob last night. I asked for it to have the
      QCTP and the 5 inch 3-jaw installed, and it is a beaut! We did some
      test cuts on aluminum and the finish quality is astounding--- far
      better than I ever get with my 7x12. It's a lot heavier than the 195
      lbs listed. About the only thing I'm worried about is thread cutting
      at the 120 RPM low speed, as I'm used to turning the RPMs way down
      with the speed control on the 7x12.

      Now I have a garage full of Lathemaster stuff, as well as other
      machines. I gotta get rid of the other stuff.

      Larry
      New Orleans
    • john labutski
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
        Congrats on getting the 8x14. The 8x14 is sure a sweety isn't it?  I love mine.  I have the 5C collet chuck for mine and it sure is nifty. The 8x14 is one of the few imports that's worth adding accessories for. Let me know what other stuff you plan to sell.  I wish I had a 5 inch 3 jaw for mine.Also, did you get reversible or 2 piece jaws?

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
          Larry,

          Just build a hand crank for the spindle for threading
          operations, as many have done for the 9x20 lathe
          (whose lowset rpm is 130) That is the short and simple
          solution. Since you probably won't be threading
          often this is what many have done. IF you thread
          often replace the single phase motor with a DC (many
          have used treadmill motors) or 3 ph./vfd setup and
          then you will be able to slow the spindle to a crawl
          with a dial or buttons, as you did with the 7x12.

          Regards,

          Gabe
          --- mineralman55 <Larryo55@...> wrote:

          > I picked up my 8x14 from Bob last night. I asked for
          > it to have the
          > QCTP and the 5 inch 3-jaw installed, and it is a
          > beaut! We did some
          > test cuts on aluminum and the finish quality is
          > astounding--- far
          > better than I ever get with my 7x12. It's a lot
          > heavier than the 195
          > lbs listed. About the only thing I'm worried about
          > is thread cutting
          > at the 120 RPM low speed, as I'm used to turning the
          > RPMs way down
          > with the speed control on the 7x12.
          >
          > Now I have a garage full of Lathemaster stuff, as
          > well as other
          > machines. I gotta get rid of the other stuff.
          >
          > Larry
          > New Orleans

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • mineralman55
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 10, 2004
            The 5 inch 3-jaw has two sets of jaws: one internal and one
            external. I thought about the collet chuck, but figured the 3-jaw
            was the better solution for me as what I'm doing doesn't require the
            extraordinary accuracy of the collet chuck. Besides, I don't want
            another set of collets to keep around :-)

            This one has an American motor on it. It's very quiet and well
            balanced.

            I sold my Grizzly 7x12 tonight, and in the near future I'll probably
            be selling my Craftsman lathe. Can't justify keeping that too.

            I'll practice threads on the 8x14 as it currently is, but Bob is
            working on a modification for the lathe which incorporates a
            planetary gear within the train. He can cut the rpm down to ~65 with
            that, and that would be awesome. He has it on one of his prototypes.

            The qctp has a knurler, boring bar holder that is massive, cutoff
            tool holder and two tool holders. The wedge type post is a major
            improvement over the TS Engineering qctp piston type that I'd
            installed on my 7x12. I'm really not knocking the 7x12, but this
            8x14 is so much better the difference is night and day.

            LarryO

            --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "john labutski" <kd6wd@c...>
            wrote:
            > Congrats on getting the 8x14. The 8x14 is sure a sweety isn't it?
            I love mine. I have the 5C collet chuck for mine and it sure is
            nifty. The 8x14 is one of the few imports that's worth adding
            accessories for. Let me know what other stuff you plan to sell. I
            wish I had a 5 inch 3 jaw for mine.Also, did you get reversible or 2
            piece jaws?

            > John
            > kd6wd@c...

          • Green, James
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
              I don't think Lathe Master offers a 5" 3 jaw chuck with 2 piece jaws?????
              Believe you would have to obtain a Bison chuck for that feature.........

              James Green

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                Whoo-hoo! I just got my 8X14 from Bob. Now the fun starts in
                learning to USE the thing. Lathemaster sure does seem to be good to
                do business with, everything arrived quickly and in great condition.
                It did have one damaged item, one of the thumbscrews on the follower
                rest was bent - I emailed Bob about it, I don't imagine it'll be any
                problem (I may try to straighten it, although it looks to be hardened
                and will probably break). The only other thing I found during
                clean-up and inspection is that the headstock and motor pulleys are
                out of alignment by about 1/32"-1/16" (haven't mic'd it yet). The
                motor doesn't appear to have any lateral adjustment. The mounting
                holes in the bed are tapped, so that's out, and to the naked eye it
                looks like the mounting lugs on the motor aren't slots. I haven't yet
                loosened the motor to try. I'm guessing the best bet will be to make
                a shim for the headstock pulley to move it out some - a good first
                project for me!
              • Druid Noibn
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                  Hi DT,

                  CONGRATULATIONS - let us know what you find as you go along.

                  Also - as you clean it up, do you find much casting sand and other debris? On the HF unit, one also needs to look under the paint chunks, lots of stuff there.

                  I thought we might have a 7x & 8x contest... whoever has the most "sand" wins (looses) or if we make it a team effort - the largest casting sand castle wins.

                  On the social medical side - with all of the debris we find in these units, it makes on wonder what the air quality is like at the factory.

                  Take care,
                  DBN

                  digital_trucker <digital_trucker@...> wrote:
[...]

                • Alan Wright
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                    When my 9x30 arrived I also had a bent thumbscrew
                    on the follower rest. If you have the same one, then
                    the screw is NOT hardened. In fact mine was quite
                    soft and bent back with minor finger pressure. :-(

                    Alan

                    --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "digital_trucker"
                    <digital_trucker@...> wrote:

                    > Whoo-hoo! I just got my 8X14 from Bob. Now the fun starts in
                    > learning to USE the thing. Lathemaster sure does seem to be good
                    > do business with, everything arrived quickly and in great
                    condition.
                    > It did have one damaged item, one of the thumbscrews on the
                    follower
                    > rest was bent - I emailed Bob about it, I don't imagine it'll be
                    any
                    > problem (I may try to straighten it, although it looks to be
                    hardened
                    > and will probably break). The only other thing I found during
                    > clean-up and inspection is that the headstock and motor pulleys are
                    > out of alignment by about 1/32"-1/16" (haven't mic'd it yet). The
                    > motor doesn't appear to have any lateral adjustment. The mounting
                    > holes in the bed are tapped, so that's out, and to the naked eye it
                    > looks like the mounting lugs on the motor aren't slots. I haven't
                    yet
                    > loosened the motor to try. I'm guessing the best bet will be to
                    make
                    > a shim for the headstock pulley to move it out some - a good first
                    > project for me!

                  • digital_trucker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                      This one AIN'T soft! Bob sez he's gonna send me another one. I think
                      I'll try bending it back anyways just to satisfy my curiosity. As far
                      as casting sand and whatnot, I found hardly any on my Lathemaster.
                      What I DID find was a fair amount of that bondo crap they coat it
                      with. Lots of chips of that stuff in the cracks and threads and so
                      on. Easy to clean out though, so no biggie - WD40 works wonders.

                      --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Wright" <alan@...> wrote:

                      > When my 9x30 arrived I also had a bent thumbscrew
                      > on the follower rest. If you have the same one, then
                      > the screw is NOT hardened. In fact mine was quite
                      > soft and bent back with minor finger pressure. :-(
                      >
                      > Alan

                    • Druid Noibn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 15, 2007
                        Hi Alan,

                        Just to add a little fuel to the fire - When HF delivered the follower and steady rests - both had bent screws. I sent them a note, ok, it took three notes, and replacement ones were ordered. It is now 8+ weeks later and I'm still waiting. So, from order time to having a working parts will be over 16 week. However, HF did say they will be sent shortly. <SMILE>

                        Take care,
                        DBN