8x14 accessories

  • pwolaver
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "me" <nothotmail@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know what's up with lathemaster? I have been hoping to purchase
      > an 8x14 with some accessories, but they seem to have been out of stock
      > for ever, and the web site has been updated several times with new
      > arrival dates. The last update said they would have machines the end
      > of October, and that message is still up. Are they out of business?
      > It seems there is very little that is available to purchase, so I am a
      > little nervous now about placing an order if they ever do list items as
      > back in stock.
      >
      > I have gone to harbor freight stores, but they never seem to have the
      > 8" machine, just the smaller 7", and their model does not include the
      > feed reverse gear and such.
      >
      > Anyone recommend another similar lathe if these are not going to be
      > available? I liked the option of the planetary gear for a low speed
      > that lathemaster has.

    • pwolaver
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        I have been watching the Lathemaster web site for some time, hoping
        they are going to be getting some 8x14 lathes in, but the possibility
        of inventory seems to be getting pushed out all the time, so it may be
        an alternative to get the lathe from HF, much as I'd prefer to do biz
        with Bob. Since the HF version doesn't have the accessories that
        come with Bob's package - I have some questions.

        I don't see a 4-jaw chuck on the lathemaster website, so I'm not sure
        what Bob is using to supply that as part of his accessory package.
        Any ideas what the source is? If I can't order it from Lathemaster,
        I'll need to get it somewhere.

        I think I'll need a mounting plate for a 4-jaw chuck - where would I
        get that? Again, I don't see any on the Lathemaster web site.

        Generally are there any considerations for compatibility between
        accessories (like on LittleMachineShop) and the 8x14?

        I was looking at the Bison web site, at their chucks, which I guess
        are high-end chucks?? One of the first things on their web site is
        how to figure out what kind of spindle nose you have - what is it for
        the 8x14?? Are the Bison chucks overkill for a mini lathe??

        Is it OK to inquire about sources besides Lathemaster, on this forum?

        I'd like to do biz with Bob as much as possible, but it seems a
        limited selection and availability...

        Paul
      • Dan Merz
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
          Paul, call Bob on the telephone to find answers to your speculations about
          delivery. There are limits to the effectiveness of websites for up-to-date
          info. The chasing of the 4 jaw chuck was something I tried briefly but
          couldn't find what was needed. This was one of the strongest reasons that
          I went with the Lathemaster because it was included. Bob sent along the
          correct mounting plate. The Lathemaster (and HF) uses a 4 bolt, bolt-on
          chuck plate, not a screw-on type lik e on the 9 inch lathes. A little
          slower to change the chuck but seems to center well. Dan.

          _____

          *

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
            Paul, give Bob a call, it's the only way to get the straight scoop on
            availability.

            The Bison chucks are definitely NOT overkill for these lathes.
            Unfortunately as the dollar has collapsed they have gotten
            considerably more expensive than they were a few years ago. I have a
            5" Bison that I use all the time on my 8x machine, and it is a very
            nice piece of hardware. LMS has the proper adaptor that makes these
            (and most any plain back 5" chuck)a direct bolt-on to the 8x spindle
            flange.
            Chris

            --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "pwolaver" <prw_pub@...> wrote:

            > I have been watching the Lathemaster web site for some time, hoping
            > they are going to be getting some 8x14 lathes in, but the
            possibility
            > of inventory seems to be getting pushed out all the time, so it may
            be
            > an alternative to get the lathe from HF, much as I'd prefer to do
            biz
            > with Bob. Since the HF version doesn't have the accessories that
            > come with Bob's package - I have some questions.
            >
            > I don't see a 4-jaw chuck on the lathemaster website, so I'm not
            sure
            > what Bob is using to supply that as part of his accessory package.
            > Any ideas what the source is? If I can't order it from Lathemaster,
            > I'll need to get it somewhere.
            >
            > I think I'll need a mounting plate for a 4-jaw chuck - where would I
            > get that? Again, I don't see any on the Lathemaster web site.
            >
            > Generally are there any considerations for compatibility between
            > accessories (like on LittleMachineShop) and the 8x14?
            >

            > I was looking at the Bison web site, at their chucks, which I guess
            > are high-end chucks?? One of the first things on their web site is
            > how to figure out what kind of spindle nose you have - what is it
            for
            > the 8x14?? Are the Bison chucks overkill for a mini lathe??
            >
            > Is it OK to inquire about sources besides Lathemaster, on this
            forum?

            > I'd like to do biz with Bob as much as possible, but it seems a
            > limited selection and availability...
            >
            > Paul

          • Richard Kleinhenz
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
              I got all the accessories from Harbor Freight. If you want I can dig for partnumbers and all the details. They may take time but I had no problems getting them eventually

              --
              Best regards,
              Rich
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                Hi Paul,

                As you know, the 8X from HF is the same machine.

                HF does sell the 4-jaw chuck an dother accessories - BUT...be aware that the delivery time might be a very, very, very long.

                The 8X has a flange that uses three bolts to mount the chucks, etc..., the center is machined for MT3.  The chuck fits directly, no mounting plate needed, at least the one I purchased does.

                It might help a bit to download the manual from HF.

                Yes, Bison is deemed to be higher-end and a mounting plate would be needed - if you are looking in this direction, check out the offerings on eBay.

                Take care,
                DBN

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Looking in the HF online catalog -

                  Is item 43582 the appropriate faceplate for the 8x12(14) ??

                  Also, looking in the Grizzly catalog for 4 jaw chuck.

                  G9865 6" 4-Jaw Plain Back Independent Chuck

                  Would this be appropriate for that face plate?

                  Would the 6" jaw be appropriate for the 8x14, or the smaller 3"?? Is
                  there a difference in accuracy vs capacity?

                  When they say "Plain Back" - does this mean that it is made for using
                  a faceplate, rather than some other special sort of mounting on a
                  machine's custom spindle??

                  Thanks for all the replies regarding 8x14 accessories.

                  Paul
                • David Mannock
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Gents, I have to be honest here and say that while I often see items
                    on Bob's web site that are not in stock, there is no doubt in my mind
                    that my 8x14 lathemaster lathe was a very good purchase and came with
                    everything that I needed in terms of accessories. Bob has always been
                    helpful and prompt in replying to emails as well as questions about
                    his Ebay sales. In terms of collet chucks, although Bison is good,
                    CDCO has one for $140 which is reasonable. I recently bought an ER16
                    set with both MT2 and MT3 collet chucks for ~$50 + shipping on Ebay
                    from Hong Kong. Dave

                    At 05:56 AM 12/2/2008, you wrote:

                    >I got all the accessories from Harbor Freight. If you want I can dig
                    >for partnumbers and all the details. They may take time but I had no
                    >problems getting them eventually
                    >
                    >On 12/1/2008 at 3:56 AM pwolaver wrote:
                    >
                    > >I have been watching the Lathemaster web site for some time, hoping
                    > >they are going to be getting some 8x14 lathes in, but the possibility
                    > >of inventory seems to be getting pushed out all the time, so it may be
                    > >an alternative to get the lathe from HF, much as I'd prefer to do biz
                    > >with Bob. Since the HF version doesn't have the accessories that
                    > >come with Bob's package - I have some questions.
                    >
                    >--
                    >Best regards,
                    >Rich
                    >Richard Kleinhenz
                    ><http://beautifulhandmadepens.com>http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
                    >http://penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=kleinhenzr

                    Dr David Mannock
                    339 Med Sci Bldg,
                    Dept of Biochemistry,
                    University of Alberta,
                    Edmonton,
                    Alberta, T6G 2H7
                    Canada

                    Tel: 1-780-492-2412
                    FAX: 1-780-492-0886
                  • Jacques Rioux
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                      I can't find that part number in the HF catalog online.

                      However, when I wanted to order accessories for my HF 8x12, I called customer service, not the regular order line.
                      You talk to customer service and you tell them you want to order accessories for the lathe.

                      From memory, you can get the following: Follow rest, Steady rest, Faceplate, 5 inch 4 jaw chuck, backsplash

                      The 4 jaw chuck has the same bolt pattern as the 3 jaw chuck that comes with the lathe. You do not need any adapter to use that chuck.

                      Good luck,

                      Jacques in NC

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Hi Paul,

                        As Jacques noted, you need to call HF to order parts and accessories fo rthe 8X.  I did not find your reference number.

                        If it helps, I ordered the following items and the prices paid are as follows:

                        28587 44859 Sync. Tooth belt 550mm $5.85
                        28728 44859 V-belt O-720 $1.38
                        29380 44859 Follow Rest (Optional) $16.57
                        29381 44859 Steady Rest (Optional) $17.63
                        29382 44859 Face Plate (Optional) $12.42

                        I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but the 4-jaw chuck "125mm" was $50-$60 range.  It fits directly, no adapter plate is needed.

                        The prices might be a little higher today.  Also, as noted earlier, the items might take a long time to arrive.

                        I hope that helps.

                        Take care,
                        DBN

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                          DBN:

                          Thanks so much for this information - I really appreciate it - I'll
                          give HF a call, and see if I can connect with someone who knows how to
                          handle these non-catalog items...

                          This is *very* helpful. I still plan on doing biz with Bob at
                          lathemaster as much as possible - when he has the components in stock.

                          Thanks!!

                          Paul

                          > Hi Paul,
                          >
                          > As Jacques noted, you need to call HF to order parts and accessories
                          fo rthe 8X.  I did not find your reference number.

                          > If it helps, I ordered the following items and the prices paid are
                          as follows:

                          > 28587 44859 Sync. Tooth belt 550mm $5.85
                          > 28728 44859 V-belt O-720 $1.38
                          > 29380 44859 Follow Rest (Optional) $16.57
                          > 29381 44859 Steady Rest (Optional) $17.63
                          > 29382 44859 Face Plate (Optional) $12.42
                          >
                          > I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but the 4-jaw chuck
                          "125mm" was $50-$60 range.  It fits directly, no adapter plate is needed.

                          > The prices might be a little higher today.  Also, as noted earlier,
                          the items might take a long time to arrive.

                          > I hope that helps.
                          >
                          > Take care,
                          > DBN

                        • wishbone_aaa
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                            --- In lathemaster@yahoogroups.com, "pwolaver" <prw_pub@...> wrote:

                            > DBN:
                            >
                            > Thanks so much for this information - I really appreciate it - I'll
                            > give HF a call, and see if I can connect with someone who knows how to
                            > handle these non-catalog items...
                            >
                            > This is *very* helpful. I still plan on doing biz with Bob at
                            > lathemaster as much as possible - when he has the components in stock.
                            >

                            > Thanks!!
                            >

                            > Paul

                            Ordering special items from HF seems to be a hit or miss operation.

                            In the times that I have tried to order, I've had a "customer service
                            rep" that was clueless to special orders and was actually told that "It
                            couldn't be done". Knowing better, I hung up and tried again and got
                            someone who knew their trade and was able to take my special order.

                            Well after a number of postcards noting items were back ordered and
                            then eight months later, I was then finally informed that the Chuck
                            and steady rest were not available.

                            This wasn't my first attempt at ordering these items. The first time
                            part of the order vanished into thin air. I did receive the steady rest
                            and faceplate in about four months.

                            Hope you have better luck.

                            Don
                          • Druid Noibn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Hi, Don,

                              HF is well-known for their superior level of poor management.

                              When one places an order - Write Down the order number.  Then after a week or so, check the status.  Like you, I had orders with "6-8 weeks" delivery quoted (a joke) never entered.  When I quoted the data and proved the order was placed, I received the next infamous quote "The items haven't come in yet, we will inform you when they do."

                              At this point they tend to send a card with a 10% OFF on your next order.

                              Yes, I buy from HF - but it isn't for business, just my hobby.  I do like my 8X lathe !!!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Hi Paul,

                                As you now see - there are many here willing to help.

                                Keep going - all will be well and chips flying.