machining radii

  • Josh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2008
      I would like to know if anyone could tell me a good way to but a 12"
      radius on something with smaller lathe. I have a 9x30 bench top. I am
      trying to make the lower anvils for a english wheel I am making and
      the radii have to be correct for the metal to stretch correctly. I
      have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.
      Thanks for any help
    • metalmill52
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
        Josh,

        If it is a 12" disc with a rounded edge, then you are going to need a
        bigger lathe (unless your 9x30 has a gap bed). If you just need to
        turn a 12" radius on the edge of a disk that is smaller than 9" you
        can use a drafting compass to make a template, and make a variation
        on a ball turner device where the cutter is fixed to a plate that
        pivots about a fixed point 12" from the cutter. Hope that gives you
        some ideas.

        Best Regards,

        Bill C.