Eagle Lake, October 8

  • Kenneth Able
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2011
      Lew Oring and I did our annual October 8 birding day at Eagle Lake on Saturday.  Except for the large numbers of grebes that breed on the lake (western grebes appear to have had a pretty good breeding year), water birds were few in number.  Almost no ducks of any kind.  The highlights, such as they were:

      Common loon  1
      Pacific loon  17
      Horned grebe  12 (a good count for the lake)
      Great egret  45 (a large number for Eagle Lake)
      Snowy egret  6
      Common tern  5  (rare in the county)

      I guess we need some nasty weather up north to move some birds our way.

      Ken Able

      Kenneth P. Able
      Bob's Creek Ranch
      535-000 Little Valley Road