RE: [lascruceshomeschool] Truancy laws NM/ Daytime curfew for homeschoolers?

  • AMI SEGNA
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
      http://www.usmayors.org/bestpractices/bp_volume_3/roswell_3.htm

      I found this one in Roswell. I also found reference to a law in Rio Rancho, but nothing up to date, and nothing about Las Cruces.

      To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      From: amisegna1@...
      Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:30:25 -0600
      Subject: RE: [lascruceshomeschool] Truancy laws NM/ Daytime curfew for homeschoolers?

      Diffrent cities may have their own evening curfew laws - I haven't heard of any daytime ones, and you have me curious now - and will also differ on how they are enforced, but there are a LOT of home schoolers in NM - I wouldn't expect any sort of harrassment unless the kids are getting into trouble of some sort! I've never heard of any authority-types harrassing anyone, just curious questions from people you may encounter (i.e. No school today?)

      To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      From: b_gregorio@...
      Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:24:09 +0000

      Hello- we are homeschoolers from VA, moving to Las Cruces shortly, to join my husband for a while who has already started a 6-month temporary work project there. We will all be going back to our house in VA if the contract is not renewed in spring. I therefore intend to keep my "a-pain-to-refile" Virginia-NOI (notice of intent) on the books for now, as for now I consider us temporary visitors in NM.
      So:
      Is there a daytime curfew in NM for school-age children? Do you get harassed when you are out with your older homeschooled kids during the day (shopping, etc.), to produce paperwork? Sorry for sounding so paranoid, but I heard some states have introduced these curfews, locally. I thought I'd better ask about it before I run into truancy issues.

      Thanks! Hope to meet you all soon.

      Birgit
      (My kids are 1st and 4th grade, homeschooled since the beginning)

    • AMI SEGNA
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
        ...and then there's this one. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Thanks for bringing the whole thing to my attention!

        http://www.hslda.org/Legal/state/ca/SFamilyvCityofLosAngeles/default.asp

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
        From: amisegna1@...
        Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:47:19 -0600

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
        From: amisegna1@...
        Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:30:25 -0600

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
          All of New Mexico has a nighttime curfew for kids from midnight to 5am. The only daytime ones are in Roswell and Rio Rancho. Im out with my kid on school days often, no authority ever asked me about it.

          To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
            Carla, Ami- thank you so much for the info! I think the L.A. curfew incident that Ami linked to was the one I had read about in HEM (Home Education Magazine). Some place in Connecticut had tried something similar I think, but failed. Good grief.

            So that's settled- no daytime curfew in Las Cruces. Yeay! I am glad there are so many homeschoolers in NM :) I live in a county in VA where supposedly a good 20% of all kids are homeschooled (I heard), so the "No school today?!" question comes up very rarely in the grocery store etc. Thanks Carla for give me some peace of mind about the Las Cruces situation.

            I am looking forward to meeting you all in October.

            Birgit