Fw: [owhl] FW: Action Alert- poorly written law makes used childrens' books "illegal"

  • summer watts
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2009
      please help us

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Theresa Larson <newmeximom@...>
      To: owhl@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:38:34 PM
      Subject: [owhl] FW: Action Alert- poorly written law makes used childrens' books "illegal"

      We've recvd several fwds (like the one below) from concerened homeschoolers regarding poorly written law that may prohibit children's book sales. And this link
      http://www.digitalj ournal.com/ article/264507  notes how handcrafters (particularly of toys) might also suffer from this law. I haven't followed thru to check out/confirm the info, but since there's a timeline for the call to action, I figured I'd just pass the info along:

      THE SALE OF CHILDREN'S BOOKS TO BE BANNED
      The Sale of Children's Books to be Banned
       ---
       Oh, how I wish this were a joke!  But it is a grim and looming,
       almost Orwellian, reality.
       Effective February 10th, in the United States, the sale of
       all children's books (books intended for children ages 12 and
       under) is to be PROHIBITED.  Every single book printed prior
       to the ruling is affected, whether new or used.  New books in
       production are required to include a "lead-free" certification
       and will be the only books that are legal to offer for sale.
       What does this mean to the homeschooling family?
       Well, for one, curriculum fairs across the country will be
       cancelled as book vendors scramble to figure out how to comply
       with the new ruling.  Complete book inventories will have to be
       destroyed -- the ruling even prohibits giving away the books!
       Local thrift stores will be hard hit -- most will likely have to
       close their doors -- yes, even Goodwill and Salvation Army.
       Clothing, toys and books -- even CDs and DVDs are included in the
       ruling.  Thrift stores will no longer be able to accept or process
       anything (including clothing) that would be intended for a child.
       No more library sales.  Libraries will not be permitted to give
       away or sell book donations.  It is unsure yet, however, how
       the libraries' shelves themselves will be impacted (the ruling
       doesn't explicitly mention "loaning" books, just selling or
       giving them away).  The key word, however, is "distribution" --
       libraries may well be required to destroy books from their shelves.
       (The ruling that originally passed was about toys, but the EPA has
       since made a statement that clothing, books and media are included
       in "children's toys".)
       Just how serious is this new law?
       Amazon.com has already notified all vendors of their need to comply.
       No book can be sold at the Amazon site that was printed prior to
       compliance.  And the "compliance" must be coordinated at the manu-
       facturing stage.  At the time of this article there is no clause
       to be able to grandfather- in older books or even rare out-of-print
       books.  It can cost between $500 and $1500 to test a book for lead.
       I happen to own a children's bookstore specializing in living books
       from the 1950s and '60s.  My punishment for selling a book after
       February 10th?  Up to $100,000 and 5 years in jail.  And yes, it is
       a felony charge.  For selling a SINGLE book.
       (Although I don't think the S.W.A.T. team scenario would become a
       reality overnight, at the same time I would be leery of blatantly
       violating Federal law.)
       So what can you do to help save your local used bookstore that
       sells children's books?  Or that homeschool curriculum business?
       Or your EBay business selling children's items?
       ACT NOW before the quickly approaching deadlines:
       1) Email or call the CPSIA - the office of the CPSC ombudsman at
         888-531-9070.  http://www.cpsc. gov/cgibin/ newleg.aspx
         Comments on Component Parts Testing accepted through January 30,
         2009.  Or email: Sec102ComponentPart sTesting@ cpsc.gov
       2) Contact your local representatives. For their contact informa-
         tion, just enter your zip code.
         http://capwiz. com/americanappa rel/dbq/official s/
       3) Make your voice heard by voting on this issue!  The top 3 in
         each category will be presented to President-elect Obama.
         http://change. org/ideas/ view/save_ handmade_ toys_from_ the_cpsia
       5) Spread the word!  Forward this article.  Send an email.  Write
         about this on your blog.  Tell others about this issue and
         encourage them to do the same.
       ---
       For the complete story, read the following links:
       Consumer Product Safety Commission Summaries on Legislation Index
       page for Children's Products Containing Lead; Lead Paint Rule and
       other rulings
       Office of the General Counsel FAQ on retroactive inventory require-
       ments -- The use of forward effective dates appears to force current
       inventories to adhere to the ruling on February 10th, 2009
       Specific FAQ on their interpretation of books and other media to be
       included in the testing of lead based products
       Effective Date: Lead content limit of 600 ppm becomes effective 180
       days after enactment. An advisory opinion regarding the application
       of the new lead limit to inventory existing at the effective date
       can be found on our web site at
       http://www.cpsc. gov/library/ foia/advisory/ 317.pdf
       Getting the Lead out: There is no lead in children's books
       http://news. bookweb.org/ news/5695. html
       There is no lead in Children's books: From a Pedtrician

    • Ami Segna
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2009
        I did a bunch of google searching today, and yes, secondhand items are definitely included in the current wording. ANY items sold for children have to be tested, even if individual components were already tested. That will put small businesses and people who do crafts out of business. Testing of printed matter won't actually go into effect until August, but it would mean any time the library discarded a children's book and sold it for a quarter, we would be selling illegal goods! Talk about good intentions gone horribly awry!

        Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:31 PM

        please help us