Re: Plans for the Fall

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2005
      Hi,

      We will be unschooling Penelope in the Fall. In fact, we already are.
      We are trying to work on her reading skills as she wants reading time
      and addition/subtraction/multiplication as she asks us about it. She
      can already do simple pairs like 2+2, 4+4, 1+1, etc.

      We would love to get together for a playgroup or a learning
      opportunity either weekly or monthly.

      I'd like to hear what others plans are as well. Thanks for starting
      this thread, Melani.

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2005
        We will do some structured learning in the mornings. For some reason, the
        idea of unschooling makes sense to me but also scares me. I know that's
        what we did for his first 6 years, and it worked out great, but I just have
        the need to make sure he has some traditional education. I really believe
        that he will learn more, understand more, and retain more if he initiates
        the interest. I'm just not patient enough to completely sit back and let it
        happen naturally at this point. Sad, huh.

        Anyway, I have math and spelling curriculum for him. Other than that, we'll
        read lots of books together and explore interests in other ways than
        sit-down learning. I have month by month ideas of topics we'll read books
        on, but we will adjust depending on what he shows more/less interest in.
        Even though there will be bits of scheduled learning each morning, the bulk
        of his day will be free to explore the world around him as he sees fit.
        He's reading really well, and he loves math and catches on really quickly,
        so my main hope for this year is to spark an interest in writing. Right
        now, he will do 30 pages in a math workbook for the fun of it on a
        non-school day, and my hope is that he retains that love for learning.

        I, too, would love to get together at least once a month. If we wanted just
        an informal play group at the park, once a week would be fine. If we want
        to get more organized with a shared learning opportunity, once a month is
        probably better. The one issue I have, that some of you may also have, is
        that my 22 month-old naps in the late mornings right now. I would guess
        that in a few months, she'll start napping in the early afternoon. That
        means that a time that works perfectly for us now may be during nap time in
        a few months. I don't mind forcing a later or earlier nap once a month, but
        I'd rather not do it on a weekly basis.

        I look forward to hearing from others!

        Melani
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2005
          Melani,

          I don't know that I am committed to unschooling exclusively forever
          either. But for a kindergartener, it seems to make sense. Mary and I
          have read some of Rudolf Steiner's work and the first years are an age
          of taking in information from all the senses and a lot of learning
          happens through play and observation. But as a child gets older,
          learning becomes more about linking things together or linking new
          information to already acquired information and experiences and
          certainly a child could benefit from exposure to information that
          he/she might not have chosen. So, I think what you are doing with
          your son makes good sense. He still has plenty of time for his own
          interests.

          Bruce
          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Melani Daves Moore"