Cool homeschool field trips

  • roquemoma
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9 9:40 AM
      I thought some of you might be interested in this, it's a mother/son
      pair of homeschoolers who travel around to National Parks and do
      classes for other homeschoolers. They're going to be in our general
      area at the end of September. I've only listed the classes that are
      nearest to us, they're doing other classes all over the state, you can
      see that list on their website, http://www.geekpub.net They're doing
      some animal classes, and some geology classes:

      Wildlife Safari - We search out animal tracks, feathers, scat, nesting
      areas and even a few animal residents. We take water samples and find
      the microscopic life as well. This class is all about learning how to
      look for the signs that the animals leave for us to find.

      Favorite Faces - It's all about the animals that attract our attention
      the most at zoos and aquariums, from meerkats to sharks.

      Thursday - 25th 9am

      Favorite Faces @ Alameda Park Zoo NM - Southeastern - Alamogordo

      $8 per student 5 - 18 years old, Everyone else FREE

      Zoo admission not included

      Friday - 26th - 9am

      Wildlife Safari @ Elephant Butte Lake State Park NM - Southwestern -
      Truth or Consequences

      $8 per student 5 - 18 years old, Everyone else FREE

      In the field, rocks look different than they do in textbooks or on lab
      benches. A valuable aspect of a field geology course is approaching an
      outcrop and knowing what to do next.

      We work in - and see - a lot of great geology...

      Every rock tells a story and the opportunity to get out in the field
      allows the student to hear these geologic stories in their natural
      state, in their natural context, and at the proper scale.

      But what will we be DOING? Depending on the location, we'll be panning
      for gold, chiseling samples from mountains, hunting for river rocks in
      the desert, and studying our finds under a microscope.

      4x4 NOT Required

      This is an auto tour class to some extent. High clearance vehicles are
      recommended unless otherwise noted. What do I mean by that? Leave the
      sports car at home but most sedans are fine.

      $25 per family - up to 5 adults/students $5 - each additional student
      aged 4 - 18

      Class may be cancelled if less than 4 families register

      UPCOMING CLASSES

      Thursday - 25th – 2pm

      Socorro Public Mining Lands NM - Central - Socorro

      Friday - 26th – 1pm

      Rockhound State Park NM - Southwest

      Friday - 26th - 5pm

      City of Rocks NM - Southwest