Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Worms and garden snails

  • Amissa Burton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
      There's a worm farm in Deming if you're up to a field trip ;-)
      Hi,
      I know this may be a dumb question but do we have worms in the dirt
      here ? It is mostly sand where I live. We are doing a kids gardening
      project and need earthworms and garden snails. If you all have any
      advice on how I can find these in Las Cruces I would appreciate the
      advice.

      thanks,
      Rita

      **Amissa Burton, RYT **
      " Minds, Like Parachutes, Function Best When Open"
      Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

    • wakeupbenjy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2008
        If you add compost and other good stuff to your soil the worms will
        show up in droves. Just add lots and lots of organic matter, kitchen
        scraps, etc. This may take a while however, and keeping a worm box
        (look up vermiculture) is a great project for kids, where you do the
        same in a smaller environment, add a few worms, and watch them
        reproduce, feed on your kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc.
        -Heather