Worms and garden snails

  • Rita
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
      Hi,
      I know this may be a dumb question but do we have worms in the dirt
      here ? It is mostly sand where I live. We are doing a kids gardening
      project and need earthworms and garden snails. If you all have any
      advice on how I can find these in Las Cruces I would appreciate the
      advice.

      thanks,
      Rita
    • AMI SEGNA
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008

        Walmart has everything! Go to the section where they keep hunting gear, and there should be a small refrigerator (might be behind the counter) with tubs of earthworms. We keep them as special treats for some of our critters. Warning though, the tubs look just like plastic containers of vegetable dip, so you may want to warn any house guests.

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
          There's a worm farm in Deming if you're up to a field trip ;-)
          Hi,
          I know this may be a dumb question but do we have worms in the dirt
          here ? It is mostly sand where I live. We are doing a kids gardening
          project and need earthworms and garden snails. If you all have any
          advice on how I can find these in Las Cruces I would appreciate the
          advice.

          thanks,
          Rita

          **Amissa Burton, RYT **
          " Minds, Like Parachutes, Function Best When Open"
          Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

        • wakeupbenjy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2008
            If you add compost and other good stuff to your soil the worms will
            show up in droves. Just add lots and lots of organic matter, kitchen
            scraps, etc. This may take a while however, and keeping a worm box
            (look up vermiculture) is a great project for kids, where you do the
            same in a smaller environment, add a few worms, and watch them
            reproduce, feed on your kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc.
            -Heather