Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool public school split

  • Lisa Jo Elliott
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi Jhana,
      Floyd was so glad to find you all at the park today!!! He's had some
      bad experiences here and in California that reinforced his fears. I
      think we just haven't found our kind of people yet. That takes work and
      time wherever you live. Hanging out with you all has motivated him to
      seriously consider it. Thanks for the input on the 50/50. That's really
      a good point about the parents. Our son is in a Title One school and
      instead of "rock paper scissors" the kids play "rock paper dynamite". I
      saw a first grader in his class wearing his pants halfway around his
      butt like a gangster. He probably picked it up from an older brother or
      cousin. As if this isn't troubling enough, our son keeps coming home
      with these sayings. He'll say, "You know women, they just need to be
      taken care of." This makes me furious as I pursue my PhD.

      I think Floyd found the LEAHEA group on the web last night. I hope we
      all see you more.
      Lisa Jo

      jhana.morrow wrote:

      > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:lascruceshomeschool%40yahoogroups.com>, Lisa Jo Elliott
      > <lelliott@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
      > my son
      > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
      > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
      > homeschool
      > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
      > public
      > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
      > how it
      > > is done?
      > > Thanks,
      > > Lisa Jo
      > >
      > Hi Lisa Jo,
      >
      > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son and
      > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has to
      > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
      > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
      > because it has been a really positive experience for our family. My
      > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't get
      > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance to
      > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
      > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child is
      > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing and
      > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
      > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that you
      > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
      > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
      > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
      > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to make
      > a link apparently.
      > Jhana

    • AMI SEGNA
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008

        I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around. When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
        From: ekcfrench@...
        Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:55:28 +0000
        Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool public school split

        Hi Lisa Jo:

        My name is Katie.
        The LEHEA (Land Of Enchantment Home Educators Association) website
        address is: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/LEHEA/ . We are a
        relatively new homeschool group, formed in July 2007, but we are
        growing!

        LEHEA is a very diverse group of homeschoolers with kids ranging in
        age from 8 months to 16 years. We all have completely different
        styles of homeschooling. Some of us (myself included) even have kids
        that still attend public schools. And, that's what makes us such a
        great group! Some of the parents have formed co-op education classes
        and clubs, such as Fun Science and Notebooking. There is also an
        awesome field trip scheduled for Ruidoso in February that your whole
        family can attend. Our group, LEHEA,is all about everyone being
        included!

        I think the idea of a 50/50 split is a good one. My son was given
        the opportunity to attend "specials" at Desert Hills Elementary and
        he did. He receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills and was
        invited to attend Library class as well, which he did. The PE coach
        invited him to attend PE, and the Art, Music, and Computer teachers
        opened their classes.

        I wouldn't recommend you place your son in a 50/50 split for the
        purposes of him getting socialization because it just won't happen.
        In most schools, the children aren't even allowed to talk to one
        another during lunch and the only recess is the lunch recess, which
        is about 15-20 minutes. Furthermore, you would have to coordinate
        when he attended school because the teachers teach their core
        subjects in "blocks" during the morning hours or afternoon hours with
        specials during other "blocks" on certain days. I would recommend
        that if your particular elementary school is open to allowing him to
        attend the specials, go for it.

        As for socialization, you can join homeschool groups, get him
        involved in some of the programs going on at the rec. centers, etc.
        I think you'll find that attending park days, clubs, field trips,
        etc. will be more than enough socialization for your son...in fact,
        it will be more than he actually gets in the school setting.

        If you still have questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones
        at Central Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you
        some great information. She's a wonderful person and extremely
        helpful. Also, we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be
        interested join our group.

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/LEHEA/

        --- In lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com, Lisa Jo Elliott
        <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
        my son
        > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
        > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
        homeschool
        > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
        public
        > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
        it
        > is done?
        > Thanks,
        > Lisa Jo

      • Theresa "BK" Larson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
          "Ditto" regarding Jhana's wisdom--- it's different for every family.
          Public school programs are worth looking into- but for almost every
          other reason than socialization. We've had good experiences
          depending on the educator- and the school. We've recently joined
          LEAHEA and find it fun for socializing... and there's other groups
          too! Just keep looking... and asking questions. Hope to meet you &
          yours at some one of the events!
          BK

          In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "jhana.morrow"
          <jhana.morrow@...> wrote:

          > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott
          > <lelliott@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering
          pulling
          > my son
          > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the
          year.
          > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
          > homeschool
          > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of
          the
          > public
          > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
          > how it
          > > is done?
          > > Thanks,
          > > Lisa Jo
          > >
          > Hi Lisa Jo,
          >
          > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son
          and
          > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has
          > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
          > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
          > because it has been a really positive experience for our family.
          My
          > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't
          get
          > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance
          > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
          > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child
          is
          > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing
          and
          > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
          > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that
          you
          > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
          > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
          > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
          > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to
          make
          > a link apparently.
          > Jhana

        • Theresa "BK" Larson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
            Ami,
            Your response makes me smile! TOO true... hope to meet you one day
            as we're our own kind of lovelable wierd too!!!

            BK

            --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, AMI SEGNA
            <amisegna1@...> wrote:

            > I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the
            edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask
            themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to
            learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around.
            When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose
            to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your
            kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

            > To: lascruceshomeschool@...: ekcfrench@...: Thu, 31 Jan 2008
            19:55:28 +0000Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool
            public school split

            our group.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEHEA/--- In
            lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
            wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
            considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
            him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
            a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
            attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
            friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>
            Thanks,> Lisa Jo>

          • Larson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
              AnotherWISE mama!!!!
              Will we see you at the next notebooking?
              We wanna show off our "new" shoes!
              BK

              roquemoma <teachingmama8@...> wrote:
              The laws are different from state to state, some states allow various
              levels of integration and some don't. It can also depend on your
              district. I'm fairly new here so I don't know the New Mexico laws.
              Personally I think it'd be less confusing to just maintain friendships
              by having friends over after school, and make new friends by attending
              the LEHEA park days on Wednesday. The social thing is always the big
              bugaboo for those who have never homeschooled, but once you do it
              awhile it becomes a non-issue. You find that good friends stay friends
              even without daily contact, and there are plenty of opportunities to
              socialize with other homeschoolers, and other member of the community,
              of all ages.
              Rachel

              <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling my
              son
              > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
              > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
              homeschool
              > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
              public
              > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
              it
              > is done?
              > Thanks,
              > Lisa Jo

            • Ami Segna
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                Thanks! If you ever make it up to Alamo, stop by the library, I'm usually there at the Children's desk.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I'm thinking we MIGHT know you... it might be you that my girls always chat with about the adorable rodents you keep on your desk!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008

                    That would probably be me! We have a giant African millipede now, too. I'm Ami, with the long curly brown hair, and sometimes there is Amanda, with the straight blonde hair and the cute little baby bump (but don't mention it, because she's still coming to grips with the gaining weight thing!)

                    To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
                    From: cassieandmom@...
                    Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                    <amisegna1@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                    more than he actually gets in the school setting. If you still have
                    questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones at Central
                    Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you some great
                    information. She's a wonderful person and extremely helpful. Also,
                    we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be interested join
                    our group.http:/ /groups.yahoo. com/group/ LEHEA/--- In
                    lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
                    wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
                    considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
                    him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
                    a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
                    attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
                    friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>

                  • summer watts
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                      tomorow there is a cat in the hat event at club fussion in las cruces its free and they give out books too. last year we did this and had loads of fun

                      To: lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com
                      From: cassieandmom@ yahoo.com
                      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Yippee! We took Iggy out of school today!! He's a homeschooling dude
                        once again! You all gave us the push we needed and excellent advice. I'm
                        sure you'll see more of Floyd and Iggy at the park.

                        If anyone is interested in Earthscouts, we have a yahoo group now.

                        Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                        be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                        you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                        event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                        Floyd and I.

                        If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                        www.earthscouts.org

                        Lisa Jo
                      • Jhana Morrow
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Very cool,  we are waiting for you all to join LEHEA.

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/EarthScout sSNM

                          Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                          be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                          you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                          event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                          Floyd and I.

                          If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                          www.earthscouts. org

                          Lisa Jo
                          begin:vcard
                          fn:Lisa Jo Elliott
                          n:Elliott;Lisa Jo
                          org:New Mexico State University;Psychology
                          adr:;;PO Box 30001/MSC 3452;Las Cruces;NM;88003;U.S.A.
                          email;internet:lelliott@...
                          title:PhD Student
                          tel;work:(505) 646-2502
                          tel;fax:(505) 646-6212
                          x-mozilla-html:FALSE
                          version:2.1
                          end:vcard

                        • Cassandra Estes
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                            We will join the Earthscouts too... My husband used to raise chickens "FFA."
                            If you are interested he can talk to the kids for a little bit about them.
                            This Spring we are going to be ordering some chickens and ducks for our farm.

                            Cheers,
                            Cass