Re: 50/50 homeschool public school split

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi Lisa Jo:

      My name is Katie.
      The LEHEA (Land Of Enchantment Home Educators Association) website
      address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEHEA/. We are a
      relatively new homeschool group, formed in July 2007, but we are
      growing!

      LEHEA is a very diverse group of homeschoolers with kids ranging in
      age from 8 months to 16 years. We all have completely different
      styles of homeschooling. Some of us (myself included) even have kids
      that still attend public schools. And, that's what makes us such a
      great group! Some of the parents have formed co-op education classes
      and clubs, such as Fun Science and Notebooking. There is also an
      awesome field trip scheduled for Ruidoso in February that your whole
      family can attend. Our group, LEHEA,is all about everyone being
      included!

      I think the idea of a 50/50 split is a good one. My son was given
      the opportunity to attend "specials" at Desert Hills Elementary and
      he did. He receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills and was
      invited to attend Library class as well, which he did. The PE coach
      invited him to attend PE, and the Art, Music, and Computer teachers
      opened their classes.

      I wouldn't recommend you place your son in a 50/50 split for the
      purposes of him getting socialization because it just won't happen.
      In most schools, the children aren't even allowed to talk to one
      another during lunch and the only recess is the lunch recess, which
      is about 15-20 minutes. Furthermore, you would have to coordinate
      when he attended school because the teachers teach their core
      subjects in "blocks" during the morning hours or afternoon hours with
      specials during other "blocks" on certain days. I would recommend
      that if your particular elementary school is open to allowing him to
      attend the specials, go for it.

      As for socialization, you can join homeschool groups, get him
      involved in some of the programs going on at the rec. centers, etc.
      I think you'll find that attending park days, clubs, field trips,
      etc. will be more than enough socialization for your son...in fact,
      it will be more than he actually gets in the school setting.

      If you still have questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones
      at Central Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you
      some great information. She's a wonderful person and extremely
      helpful. Also, we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be
      interested join our group.

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott
      <lelliott@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
      my son
      > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
      > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
      homeschool
      > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
      public
      > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
      it
      > is done?
      > Thanks,
      > Lisa Jo

    • Lisa Jo Elliott
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi Jhana,
        Floyd was so glad to find you all at the park today!!! He's had some
        bad experiences here and in California that reinforced his fears. I
        think we just haven't found our kind of people yet. That takes work and
        time wherever you live. Hanging out with you all has motivated him to
        seriously consider it. Thanks for the input on the 50/50. That's really
        a good point about the parents. Our son is in a Title One school and
        instead of "rock paper scissors" the kids play "rock paper dynamite". I
        saw a first grader in his class wearing his pants halfway around his
        butt like a gangster. He probably picked it up from an older brother or
        cousin. As if this isn't troubling enough, our son keeps coming home
        with these sayings. He'll say, "You know women, they just need to be
        taken care of." This makes me furious as I pursue my PhD.

        I think Floyd found the LEAHEA group on the web last night. I hope we
        all see you more.
        Lisa Jo

        jhana.morrow wrote:

        > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:lascruceshomeschool%40yahoogroups.com>, Lisa Jo Elliott
        > <lelliott@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
        > my son
        > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
        > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
        > homeschool
        > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
        > public
        > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
        > how it
        > > is done?
        > > Thanks,
        > > Lisa Jo
        > >
        > Hi Lisa Jo,
        >
        > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son and
        > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has to
        > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
        > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
        > because it has been a really positive experience for our family. My
        > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't get
        > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance to
        > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
        > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child is
        > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing and
        > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
        > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that you
        > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
        > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
        > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
        > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to make
        > a link apparently.
        > Jhana

      • AMI SEGNA
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008

          I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around. When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

          To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
          From: ekcfrench@...
          Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:55:28 +0000
          Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool public school split

          <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
          my son
          > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
          > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
          homeschool
          > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
          public
          > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
          it
          > is done?
          > Thanks,
          > Lisa Jo

        • Theresa "BK" Larson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
            "Ditto" regarding Jhana's wisdom--- it's different for every family.
            Public school programs are worth looking into- but for almost every
            other reason than socialization. We've had good experiences
            depending on the educator- and the school. We've recently joined
            LEAHEA and find it fun for socializing... and there's other groups
            too! Just keep looking... and asking questions. Hope to meet you &
            yours at some one of the events!
            BK

            In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "jhana.morrow"
            <jhana.morrow@...> wrote:

            > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott
            > <lelliott@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering
            pulling
            > my son
            > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the
            year.
            > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
            > homeschool
            > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of
            the
            > public
            > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
            > how it
            > > is done?
            > > Thanks,
            > > Lisa Jo
            > >
            > Hi Lisa Jo,
            >
            > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son
            and
            > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has
            > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
            > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
            > because it has been a really positive experience for our family.
            My
            > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't
            get
            > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance
            > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
            > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child
            is
            > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing
            and
            > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
            > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that
            you
            > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
            > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
            > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
            > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to
            make
            > a link apparently.
            > Jhana

          • Theresa "BK" Larson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
              Ami,
              Your response makes me smile! TOO true... hope to meet you one day
              as we're our own kind of lovelable wierd too!!!

              BK

              --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, AMI SEGNA
              <amisegna1@...> wrote:

              > I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the
              edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask
              themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to
              learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around.
              When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose
              to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your
              kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

              > To: lascruceshomeschool@...: ekcfrench@...: Thu, 31 Jan 2008
              19:55:28 +0000Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool
              public school split

              our group.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEHEA/--- In
              lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
              wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
              considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
              him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
              a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
              attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
              friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>
              Thanks,> Lisa Jo>

            • Larson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                AnotherWISE mama!!!!
                Will we see you at the next notebooking?
                We wanna show off our "new" shoes!
                BK

                roquemoma <teachingmama8@...> wrote:
                The laws are different from state to state, some states allow various
                levels of integration and some don't. It can also depend on your
                district. I'm fairly new here so I don't know the New Mexico laws.
                Personally I think it'd be less confusing to just maintain friendships
                by having friends over after school, and make new friends by attending
                the LEHEA park days on Wednesday. The social thing is always the big
                bugaboo for those who have never homeschooled, but once you do it
                awhile it becomes a non-issue. You find that good friends stay friends
                even without daily contact, and there are plenty of opportunities to
                socialize with other homeschoolers, and other member of the community,
                of all ages.
                Rachel

                <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling my
                son
                > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
                > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
                homeschool
                > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
                public
                > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
                it
                > is done?
                > Thanks,
                > Lisa Jo

              • Ami Segna
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                  Thanks! If you ever make it up to Alamo, stop by the library, I'm usually there at the Children's desk.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                    I'm thinking we MIGHT know you... it might be you that my girls always chat with about the adorable rodents you keep on your desk!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008

                      That would probably be me! We have a giant African millipede now, too. I'm Ami, with the long curly brown hair, and sometimes there is Amanda, with the straight blonde hair and the cute little baby bump (but don't mention it, because she's still coming to grips with the gaining weight thing!)

                      To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
                      From: cassieandmom@...
                      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                      <amisegna1@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                      more than he actually gets in the school setting. If you still have
                      questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones at Central
                      Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you some great
                      information. She's a wonderful person and extremely helpful. Also,
                      we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be interested join
                      our group.http:/ /groups.yahoo. com/group/ LEHEA/--- In
                      lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
                      wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
                      considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
                      him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
                      a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
                      attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
                      friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>

                    • summer watts
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                        tomorow there is a cat in the hat event at club fussion in las cruces its free and they give out books too. last year we did this and had loads of fun

                        To: lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com
                        From: cassieandmom@ yahoo.com
                        Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Yippee! We took Iggy out of school today!! He's a homeschooling dude
                          once again! You all gave us the push we needed and excellent advice. I'm
                          sure you'll see more of Floyd and Iggy at the park.

                          If anyone is interested in Earthscouts, we have a yahoo group now.

                          Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                          be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                          you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                          event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                          Floyd and I.

                          If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                          www.earthscouts.org

                          Lisa Jo
                        • Jhana Morrow
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                            Very cool,  we are waiting for you all to join LEHEA.

                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/EarthScout sSNM

                            Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                            be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                            you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                            event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                            Floyd and I.

                            If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                            www.earthscouts. org

                            Lisa Jo
                            begin:vcard
                            fn:Lisa Jo Elliott
                            n:Elliott;Lisa Jo
                            org:New Mexico State University;Psychology
                            adr:;;PO Box 30001/MSC 3452;Las Cruces;NM;88003;U.S.A.
                            email;internet:lelliott@...
                            title:PhD Student
                            tel;work:(505) 646-2502
                            tel;fax:(505) 646-6212
                            x-mozilla-html:FALSE
                            version:2.1
                            end:vcard

                          • Cassandra Estes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                              We will join the Earthscouts too... My husband used to raise chickens "FFA."
                              If you are interested he can talk to the kids for a little bit about them.
                              This Spring we are going to be ordering some chickens and ducks for our farm.

                              Cheers,
                              Cass