50/50 homeschool public school split

  • Lisa Jo Elliott
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi all,
      I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling my son
      out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
      Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you homeschool
      in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the public
      school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it
      is done?
      Thanks,
      Lisa Jo
    • roquemoma
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
        The laws are different from state to state, some states allow various
        levels of integration and some don't. It can also depend on your
        district. I'm fairly new here so I don't know the New Mexico laws.
        Personally I think it'd be less confusing to just maintain friendships
        by having friends over after school, and make new friends by attending
        the LEHEA park days on Wednesday. The social thing is always the big
        bugaboo for those who have never homeschooled, but once you do it
        awhile it becomes a non-issue. You find that good friends stay friends
        even without daily contact, and there are plenty of opportunities to
        socialize with other homeschoolers, and other member of the community,
        of all ages.
        Rachel

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott
        <lelliott@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling my
        son
        > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
        > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
        homeschool
        > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
        public
        > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
        it
        > is done?
        > Thanks,
        > Lisa Jo

      • jhana.morrow
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
          <lelliott@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
          my son
          > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
          > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
          homeschool
          > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
          public
          > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
          how it
          > is done?
          > Thanks,
          > Lisa Jo

          Hi Lisa Jo,

          My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son and
          husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has to
          do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
          encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
          because it has been a really positive experience for our family. My
          take on only using public school for socialization is you don't get
          to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance to
          interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
          group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child is
          develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing and
          what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
          that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that you
          will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
          support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
          attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
          you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to make
          a link apparently.
          Jhana
        • Katherine
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
            Hi Lisa Jo:

            My name is Katie.
            The LEHEA (Land Of Enchantment Home Educators Association) website
            address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEHEA/. We are a
            relatively new homeschool group, formed in July 2007, but we are
            growing!

            LEHEA is a very diverse group of homeschoolers with kids ranging in
            age from 8 months to 16 years. We all have completely different
            styles of homeschooling. Some of us (myself included) even have kids
            that still attend public schools. And, that's what makes us such a
            great group! Some of the parents have formed co-op education classes
            and clubs, such as Fun Science and Notebooking. There is also an
            awesome field trip scheduled for Ruidoso in February that your whole
            family can attend. Our group, LEHEA,is all about everyone being
            included!

            I think the idea of a 50/50 split is a good one. My son was given
            the opportunity to attend "specials" at Desert Hills Elementary and
            he did. He receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills and was
            invited to attend Library class as well, which he did. The PE coach
            invited him to attend PE, and the Art, Music, and Computer teachers
            opened their classes.

            I wouldn't recommend you place your son in a 50/50 split for the
            purposes of him getting socialization because it just won't happen.
            In most schools, the children aren't even allowed to talk to one
            another during lunch and the only recess is the lunch recess, which
            is about 15-20 minutes. Furthermore, you would have to coordinate
            when he attended school because the teachers teach their core
            subjects in "blocks" during the morning hours or afternoon hours with
            specials during other "blocks" on certain days. I would recommend
            that if your particular elementary school is open to allowing him to
            attend the specials, go for it.

            As for socialization, you can join homeschool groups, get him
            involved in some of the programs going on at the rec. centers, etc.
            I think you'll find that attending park days, clubs, field trips,
            etc. will be more than enough socialization for your son...in fact,
            it will be more than he actually gets in the school setting.

            If you still have questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones
            at Central Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you
            some great information. She's a wonderful person and extremely
            helpful. Also, we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be
            interested join our group.

            <lelliott@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
            my son
            > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
            > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
            homeschool
            > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
            public
            > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
            it
            > is done?
            > Thanks,
            > Lisa Jo

          • Lisa Jo Elliott
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
              Hi Jhana,
              Floyd was so glad to find you all at the park today!!! He's had some
              bad experiences here and in California that reinforced his fears. I
              think we just haven't found our kind of people yet. That takes work and
              time wherever you live. Hanging out with you all has motivated him to
              seriously consider it. Thanks for the input on the 50/50. That's really
              a good point about the parents. Our son is in a Title One school and
              instead of "rock paper scissors" the kids play "rock paper dynamite". I
              saw a first grader in his class wearing his pants halfway around his
              butt like a gangster. He probably picked it up from an older brother or
              cousin. As if this isn't troubling enough, our son keeps coming home
              with these sayings. He'll say, "You know women, they just need to be
              taken care of." This makes me furious as I pursue my PhD.

              I think Floyd found the LEAHEA group on the web last night. I hope we
              all see you more.
              Lisa Jo

              jhana.morrow wrote:

              > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:lascruceshomeschool%40yahoogroups.com>, Lisa Jo Elliott
              > <lelliott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
              > my son
              > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
              > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
              > homeschool
              > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
              > public
              > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
              > how it
              > > is done?
              > > Thanks,
              > > Lisa Jo
              > >
              > Hi Lisa Jo,
              >
              > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son and
              > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has to
              > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
              > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
              > because it has been a really positive experience for our family. My
              > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't get
              > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance to
              > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
              > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child is
              > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing and
              > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
              > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that you
              > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
              > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
              > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
              > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to make
              > a link apparently.
              > Jhana

            • AMI SEGNA
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008

                I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around. When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

                To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
                From: ekcfrench@...
                Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:55:28 +0000
                Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool public school split

                <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling
                my son
                > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
                > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
                homeschool
                > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
                public
                > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
                it
                > is done?
                > Thanks,
                > Lisa Jo

              • Theresa "BK" Larson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                  "Ditto" regarding Jhana's wisdom--- it's different for every family.
                  Public school programs are worth looking into- but for almost every
                  other reason than socialization. We've had good experiences
                  depending on the educator- and the school. We've recently joined
                  LEAHEA and find it fun for socializing... and there's other groups
                  too! Just keep looking... and asking questions. Hope to meet you &
                  yours at some one of the events!
                  BK

                  In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "jhana.morrow"
                  <jhana.morrow@...> wrote:

                  > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott
                  > <lelliott@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering
                  pulling
                  > my son
                  > > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the
                  year.
                  > > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
                  > homeschool
                  > > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of
                  the
                  > public
                  > > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and
                  > how it
                  > > is done?
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Lisa Jo
                  > >
                  > Hi Lisa Jo,
                  >
                  > My name is Jhana, I actually had the oportunity to meet your son
                  and
                  > husband today at the park, nice guys. I think that everyone has
                  > do what is best for there childs particular circumsances. I would
                  > encourage you to homeschool if it is possible for your family only
                  > because it has been a really positive experience for our family.
                  My
                  > take on only using public school for socialization is you don't
                  get
                  > to pick your childs friends at school, nor do you have the chance
                  > interact with that childs parent. When you take your child to a
                  > group meeting you also have the oportunty to see how your child
                  is
                  > develping socially, how there interaction skills are progressing
                  and
                  > what you can help them work on, unfortunatly you just don't have
                  > that type of control in a public school play yard. I think that
                  you
                  > will find this town is full of homeschoolers so there is alot of
                  > support for your family if that is what you choose is best. We
                  > attend the LEAHEA park days, the group is on yahoo so I am sure if
                  > you searched groups you would find it sorry I don't know how to
                  make
                  > a link apparently.
                  > Jhana

                • Theresa "BK" Larson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                    Ami,
                    Your response makes me smile! TOO true... hope to meet you one day
                    as we're our own kind of lovelable wierd too!!!

                    BK

                    --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, AMI SEGNA
                    <amisegna1@...> wrote:

                    > I always tell parents worried about socializing to stand at the
                    edge of a playground during recess time, and then ask
                    themselves, "Are these really the social skills I want my child to
                    learn?" Kids learn their social skills from whoever they are around.
                    When you home school, that means YOU, as well as whoever you choose
                    to have your kids spend time with. If you are weird, then yes, your
                    kid will probably be weird. But I happen to like my brand of weird :)

                    > To: lascruceshomeschool@...: ekcfrench@...: Thu, 31 Jan 2008
                    19:55:28 +0000Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: 50/50 homeschool
                    public school split

                    > Hi Lisa Jo:My name is Katie. The LEHEA (Land Of Enchantment Home
                    Educators Association) website address is:
                    homeschool group, formed in July 2007, but we are growing! LEHEA is
                    a very diverse group of homeschoolers with kids ranging in age from
                    8 months to 16 years. We all have completely different styles of
                    homeschooling. Some of us (myself included) even have kids that
                    still attend public schools. And, that's what makes us such a great
                    group! Some of the parents have formed co-op education classes and
                    clubs, such as Fun Science and Notebooking. There is also an awesome
                    field trip scheduled for Ruidoso in February that your whole family
                    can attend. Our group, LEHEA,is all about everyone being included!I
                    think the idea of a 50/50 split is a good one. My son was given the
                    opportunity to attend "specials" at Desert Hills Elementary and he
                    did. He receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills and was
                    invited to attend Library class as well, which he did. The PE coach
                    invited him to attend PE, and the Art, Music, and Computer teachers
                    opened their classes. I wouldn't recommend you place your son in a
                    50/50 split for the purposes of him getting socialization because it
                    just won't happen. In most schools, the children aren't even allowed
                    to talk to one another during lunch and the only recess is the lunch
                    recess, which is about 15-20 minutes. Furthermore, you would have to
                    coordinate when he attended school because the teachers teach their
                    core subjects in "blocks" during the morning hours or afternoon
                    hours with specials during other "blocks" on certain days. I would
                    recommend that if your particular elementary school is open to
                    allowing him to attend the specials, go for it. As for
                    socialization, you can join homeschool groups, get him involved in
                    some of the programs going on at the rec. centers, etc. I think
                    you'll find that attending park days, clubs, field trips, etc. will
                    be more than enough socialization for your son...in fact, it will be
                    more than he actually gets in the school setting. If you still have
                    questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones at Central
                    Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you some great
                    information. She's a wonderful person and extremely helpful. Also,
                    we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be interested join
                    our group.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEHEA/--- In
                    lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
                    wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
                    considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
                    him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
                    a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
                    attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
                    friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>
                    Thanks,> Lisa Jo>

                  • Larson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                      AnotherWISE mama!!!!
                      Will we see you at the next notebooking?
                      We wanna show off our "new" shoes!
                      BK

                      <lelliott@.. .> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are considering pulling my
                      son
                      > out of first grade and homeschooling him for the rest of the year.
                      > Somewhere I heard that you could do a 50/50 split where you
                      homeschool
                      > in the morning and the child attends the afternoon session of the
                      public
                      > school to maintain friendships. Does anyone know about this and how
                      it
                      > is done?
                      > Thanks,
                      > Lisa Jo

                    • Ami Segna
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                        Thanks! If you ever make it up to Alamo, stop by the library, I'm usually there at the Children's desk.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                          I'm thinking we MIGHT know you... it might be you that my girls always chat with about the adorable rodents you keep on your desk!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008

                            That would probably be me! We have a giant African millipede now, too. I'm Ami, with the long curly brown hair, and sometimes there is Amanda, with the straight blonde hair and the cute little baby bump (but don't mention it, because she's still coming to grips with the gaining weight thing!)

                            To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
                            From: cassieandmom@...
                            Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                            <amisegna1@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                            more than he actually gets in the school setting. If you still have
                            questions, feel free to contact Marguerite Quinones at Central
                            Office. She's over homeschoolers and she can give you some great
                            information. She's a wonderful person and extremely helpful. Also,
                            we'd love to have you and anyone else who might be interested join
                            our group.http:/ /groups.yahoo. com/group/ LEHEA/--- In
                            lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com, Lisa Jo Elliott <lelliott@>
                            wrote:>> Hi all,> I'm new here. My husband (Floyd) and I are
                            considering pulling my son > out of first grade and homeschooling
                            him for the rest of the year. > Somewhere I heard that you could do
                            a 50/50 split where you homeschool > in the morning and the child
                            attends the afternoon session of the public > school to maintain
                            friendships. Does anyone know about this and how it > is done?>

                          • summer watts
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                              tomorow there is a cat in the hat event at club fussion in las cruces its free and they give out books too. last year we did this and had loads of fun

                              To: lascruceshomeschool @yahoogroups. com
                              From: cassieandmom@ yahoo.com
                              Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:54:12 -0800

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Yippee! We took Iggy out of school today!! He's a homeschooling dude
                                once again! You all gave us the push we needed and excellent advice. I'm
                                sure you'll see more of Floyd and Iggy at the park.

                                If anyone is interested in Earthscouts, we have a yahoo group now.

                                Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                                be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                                you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                                event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                                Floyd and I.

                                If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                                www.earthscouts.org

                                Lisa Jo
                              • Jhana Morrow
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                                  Very cool,  we are waiting for you all to join LEHEA.

                                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/EarthScout sSNM

                                  Right now, we have three families (about 7 kids). Our first event will
                                  be on February 9th when we learn about chickens and chicken keeping. If
                                  you're interested, please join the yahoo group above and come to an
                                  event. The facilitators are Nora and Jon Simmons, Renee Beltran and
                                  Floyd and I.

                                  If you aren't familiar with EarthScouts, their homepage is at
                                  www.earthscouts. org

                                  Lisa Jo
                                  begin:vcard
                                  fn:Lisa Jo Elliott
                                  n:Elliott;Lisa Jo
                                  org:New Mexico State University;Psychology
                                  adr:;;PO Box 30001/MSC 3452;Las Cruces;NM;88003;U.S.A.
                                  email;internet:lelliott@...
                                  title:PhD Student
                                  tel;work:(505) 646-2502
                                  tel;fax:(505) 646-6212
                                  x-mozilla-html:FALSE
                                  version:2.1
                                  end:vcard

                                • Cassandra Estes
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                                    We will join the Earthscouts too... My husband used to raise chickens "FFA."
                                    If you are interested he can talk to the kids for a little bit about them.
                                    This Spring we are going to be ordering some chickens and ducks for our farm.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Cass