preschool or not?

  • Heather Rische
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      Hi all- had to pipe in with a different view- maybe preaching to the choir here mostly, but most homeschool parents report that their kids are so much more positively socialized than others their age. They learn none of the negative socialization that large groups often display: the whole "kids can be so cruel" thing. I'll assert that large groups of one age interacting is proabably not that natural for our development, mixed ages (meaning from 0-100, not 2-4) seems to be the way we were intended to mix. My son, who never went to school, but has attended art, theatre, karate, gymnastics, music, etc. etc. , is an interesting kid. I receive comments like "i can tell he's homeschooled, because he interacts so well with all ages" (a prof from NMSU said this at the Earth day thing last year) other people comment on how kind he is to littler kids, and can play or interact with babies on up to grandparents and enjoy it equally as much. He is very independent in a large group- will approach an artist at a gallery and comment on their work very articulately, for example- or raise his hand at a ranger-led talk on nature with questions and jokes, very unabashedly... anyways, now I'm verging on bragging (or have I already crossed that line? ) but just wanted to put my two cents in. I think he functions so well in society- and I was scared to death of people (was public schooled) until I was 20! And friend- making? He's an expert! no missed opportunities- he'll approach kids in many settings, introduce himself, and soon be leading an imaginative adventure with whoever he can recruit at a park, or wherever!
      If you can't part with your little one, don't! Your instincts are there for a reason... I sure didn't want to- and am proud of the results! (my son will be ten soon, but many of these stories would describe him at 6 or 7, too)

      good luck!
      Heather Rische, LM, CPM
      Special Projects Manager
      Mountain View Market
      Las Cruces, NM
      NM Licensed Midwife
      TX Documented Midwife
      Certified Professional Midwife
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        I agree wholeheartedly, Heather.

        Melani

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hi Heather,

          Thanks for sharing your experience. Your son sounds
          like a joy! I'd say that gives you bragging rights.
          Heck, I wish I had his social skills, I'm still
          working on mine. These positive experiences are just
          what I need to hear and learn about instead of the
          negative comments I get (from people who know no more
          about it than I do) when I off-handedly mention
          homeschooling.

          I think I should make myself a poster with this quote:

          > If you can't part with your little one, don't! Your
          > instincts are there for a reason...

          Thanks so much and it's nice to "meet" everyone.
          Margarita

          Discover Yahoo!