Thanks for all the help everyone!

  • sbneedl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2008
      My wife and I really appreciate all the feedback and encouragement you
      all have given. I asked Sage today if she wanted to go back to school
      tomorrow (first day back from winter break) to say goodbye to her class
      and teacher. She thought this was a good idea but soon started to get
      cold feet about exiting her school. Since we first talked with her
      about the idea of homeschooling around the beginning of this school
      year she has liked the idea and has inquired regularly when we would be
      starting. I reminded her of all the reasons why homeschooling is going
      to be great but told her there was no pressure and that she could keep
      going to school until she was ready. She figured ten days would be
      needed to decide. I'm thinking the decision will come in sooner though.
      One reason being that she is not a morning person and her bus comes at
      705! Time will tell. Thanks again everyone and we look forward to
      joining up with you as fellow homeschoolers soon!

      Steve
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2008
        Steve:

        You and your wife are doing the right thing. As parents, we have to
        do what is best for our kids (even if they don't appreciate it at the
        time), but involving your daughter in the homeschool decision and
        giving her power over that decision is good. If she is even the
        least bit resistant to homeschooling, you'll have such a rocky
        start. This way when you do begin, she won't be resentful or have
        any regrets.

        My son was ready but we did go through a period of mourning, so to
        speak. He missed the routine and he missed his friends. It was
        about two weeks before he finally seemed to settle in to not being in
        school. He still will sometimes say that he misses school but every
        time I offer to let him go back, he declines.

        Best of luck and we look forward to hearing from your family soon!

        Katie

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "sbneedl" <sbneedl@...>