Re: hi all....new to homeschooling

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
      Ami-

      Her name is Marguerite Quinones. She's over homeschoolers in the Las
      Cruces Public School District. She's also a licensed speech
      therapist and an overall really, really nice person. She was my
      son's speech therapist when he was in kinder and 1st and when I
      exited him to homeschool, she was very supportive and helpful. At
      the time, she told me there were over 2,000 children being
      homeschooled in the Las Cruces district.

      Here's a bonus: When she was servicing my son, she told me that her
      kids were in private school!!

      Just a little more info for anyone who might need it: If you suspect
      your child has a learning disability or speech issues, you are
      entitled to ask for free testing from the district and your children
      are entitled to receive free services, you just have to take them.
      My son still receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills Elem.

      Katie

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"
      <amisegna1@...> wrote:

      > Jana, I think you'll find the Las Cruces district MUCH more
      friendly towards home schoolers than Alamogordo. There is even a
      woman connected with the sped departmentthere - someone help me with
      her name and contact info - who works as a liaison to home schoolers.
      Imagine, working together for the kids' sake! :)