Re: [lascruceshomeschool] hi all....new to homeschooling

  • Katy JENNINGS
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
      <<<<As far as the notification it is basically 1 page that you print of the
      internet fill it out and fax it to both the local office and to the state.

      Does Las Cruces have a regulation stating that you must fax the form to
      them? Because it is NOT the case for most of the state. All you have to do
      is fill out the internet form and submit it online. I was under the
      impression that the regulations were the same state-wide.

      It is a good idea to print the form before you submit, because some get a
      confirmation and some do not. The Homeschool procedure manual is there on
      the site, and it outlines what is needed. Basically, keep the notificaiton
      form, renew it each year by April, keep immunization records or objector
      forms, a copy of your diploma or degree, and they "suggest" that you keep a
      calendar but it is not required. I don't think that I am forgetting
      anything. There are no requirements regarding what you "teach" your
      children except that you must be involved in "home-education" for at least
      as long as the school year is in session.

      <<<<What is involved/how do you "establish a homeschool>>>>
      Establishing a homeschool is just when you decide not to send your
      school-age kids to school (after the school year starts of course) or to
      pull them out of school. Pretty flexible.

      Katy in Alamogordo
    • Ami Segna
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
        Jana, I think you'll find the Las Cruces district MUCH more friendly towards home schoolers than Alamogordo. There is even a woman connected with the sped departmentthere - someone help me with her name and contact info - who works as a liaison to home schoolers. Imagine, working together for the kids' sake! :)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
          Ami-

          Her name is Marguerite Quinones. She's over homeschoolers in the Las
          Cruces Public School District. She's also a licensed speech
          therapist and an overall really, really nice person. She was my
          son's speech therapist when he was in kinder and 1st and when I
          exited him to homeschool, she was very supportive and helpful. At
          the time, she told me there were over 2,000 children being
          homeschooled in the Las Cruces district.

          Here's a bonus: When she was servicing my son, she told me that her
          kids were in private school!!

          Just a little more info for anyone who might need it: If you suspect
          your child has a learning disability or speech issues, you are
          entitled to ask for free testing from the district and your children
          are entitled to receive free services, you just have to take them.
          My son still receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills Elem.

          Katie

          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"