hi all....new to homeschooling

  • sbneedl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
      My wife and I have been thinking/talking about homeschooling our girls
      for years and feel like we are ready to start with our school age
      daughter (currently in second grade). I've just started to check online
      about homeschooling in New Mexico (relatively new here) and have found
      lots of great info so far. I'm wondering what the first step to
      starting this is? I saw on another site about sending notice
      written/online form to the Sec.of Education within 30 days after the
      establishment of one's home school. What is involved/how do
      you "establish a homeschool". Thanks for your help! Steve
    • Jhana Morrow

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
          <<<<As far as the notification it is basically 1 page that you print of the
          internet fill it out and fax it to both the local office and to the state.

          Does Las Cruces have a regulation stating that you must fax the form to
          them? Because it is NOT the case for most of the state. All you have to do
          is fill out the internet form and submit it online. I was under the
          impression that the regulations were the same state-wide.

          It is a good idea to print the form before you submit, because some get a
          confirmation and some do not. The Homeschool procedure manual is there on
          the site, and it outlines what is needed. Basically, keep the notificaiton
          form, renew it each year by April, keep immunization records or objector
          forms, a copy of your diploma or degree, and they "suggest" that you keep a
          calendar but it is not required. I don't think that I am forgetting
          anything. There are no requirements regarding what you "teach" your
          children except that you must be involved in "home-education" for at least
          as long as the school year is in session.

          <<<<What is involved/how do you "establish a homeschool>>>>
          Establishing a homeschool is just when you decide not to send your
          school-age kids to school (after the school year starts of course) or to
          pull them out of school. Pretty flexible.

          Katy in Alamogordo
        • Ami Segna
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
            Jana, I think you'll find the Las Cruces district MUCH more friendly towards home schoolers than Alamogordo. There is even a woman connected with the sped departmentthere - someone help me with her name and contact info - who works as a liaison to home schoolers. Imagine, working together for the kids' sake! :)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
              Ami-

              Her name is Marguerite Quinones. She's over homeschoolers in the Las
              Cruces Public School District. She's also a licensed speech
              therapist and an overall really, really nice person. She was my
              son's speech therapist when he was in kinder and 1st and when I
              exited him to homeschool, she was very supportive and helpful. At
              the time, she told me there were over 2,000 children being
              homeschooled in the Las Cruces district.

              Here's a bonus: When she was servicing my son, she told me that her
              kids were in private school!!

              Just a little more info for anyone who might need it: If you suspect
              your child has a learning disability or speech issues, you are
              entitled to ask for free testing from the district and your children
              are entitled to receive free services, you just have to take them.
              My son still receives speech therapy services at Desert Hills Elem.

              Katie

              --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"