Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Hi

  • Margarita
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi Katy,

      Thanks for the greeting and the info. I guess I feel
      it's peer/family pressure and just the expectation
      that kids start preschool at 3 because all the family
      kids have. Also, all the usual things, kids can get
      bored at home, they need to get out, they need to:
      -interact with other kids, peer, adults on a
      consistent basis
      -learn to take turns
      -follow directions
      -share
      -work cooperatively
      -develop independence
      -nurture friendships {without me hovering :)}
      etc.

      Now, I know there are opportunities for learning this
      outside of preschool but the comments I get when I
      mention that I'm considering keeping her home and
      possibly homeschooling are always along the same
      lines:
      She'll be missing out on socializing with her peer
      group and being with other kids. I'll be isolating
      her. Basically, that she'll be missing out on an
      important social and cultural experience. I have to
      say the few times she's walked by preschool/ daycare
      rooms she peeks in and really wants to go in and I
      feel kind of selfish about wanting to HS.

      My other concern is that if I HS then a few years
      later we decide to send her to school that may be
      quite a culture shock. Social interactions between
      kids at school can be really rough! Of course we all
      have to learn to deal with different personalities but
      the question is how much variety and how early.

      Thanks for letting me ramble and for your input.

      Margarita

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        Welcome, Margarita. Hmm, do I know you from somewhere. The name sounds so
        familiar! Just kidding, of course, I know I know you.

        People who are against homeschooling love to bring up the socialization
        issue, but they fail to bring up the negative parts of socialization. It's
        not all positive. Here is a good response that I copied from a message
        board I visit:

        "Well, if my daughter stays in school I'm afriad she'll miss out on her
        family. I'm afraid we'll grow apart during her most important years. I'm
        afraid one day I'll wake up and find out my kids have been raised by
        teachers and taught by other kids. I'm afriad we will miss out on traveling
        because it won't suit the schools schedule. I'm afriad my kids will learn
        about sex, lies, backstabbing, prejudice, drugs and pain the HARD way. I'm
        also afriad they would miss out on the special things that happen in our
        everyday lives, just because you wouldn't want them to miss out on having a
        15 minute a day lunch with 20 other kids and an organized play time."

        Socialization in school isn't even "real world" socialization. In the "real
        world" people interact with others of all different ages during the day. I
        am looking forward to my children getting a lot of positive, real-world,
        cultural socialization through volunteer work do as a family. I also LOVE
        the fact that my children will spend their childhoods together and not
        running in different directions from school to after-school activities, etc.
        Anyway, here are a few links that discuss these issues:

        http://learninfreedom.org/socialization.html

        http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/zysk1.html

        http://www.tnhomeed.com/LRSocial.html

        http://guiltfreehomeschooling.blogspot.com/2004/05/socialization-and-why-you
        -dont-need-it.html

        http://www.hslda.org/research/ray2003/Socialization.asp

        http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/Social.htm

        http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/042998.htm

        Oh, and I am always jealous of those who started planning to homeschool
        early! I am now trying to catch up and learn everything I can as quickly as
        possible. I think you'd be an awesome homeschool mom!

        Melani Moore
      • Margarita
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hi Melani!

          It's good to hear from you! I agree, socialization is
          a two-sided coin. It is amazing (and scary) what kids
          pick up at school not just from kids but substitute
          teachers. Also, each year is a gamble with teachers.
          Some out there are absolutely phonomenal but you just
          never know what you're going to get and I hate the
          thought of sacrificing a year in the life of my
          daughter.

          I love your answer and the points you bring up. I'm
          going to have to memorize some of it for when I start
          telling people I'm thinking of HS. I haven't really
          told anyone (other than hubby) because I can feel the
          wave of judgement coming as the eyes widen. I'm not
          informed enough yet to defend why I want to do this
          but with the help of this group I plan to get there.
          :)

          You are just a wealth of information! Thanks for the
          websites, I'll have plenty of homework to keep me busy
          for now. How do you find the time??

          Thank you so much for the vote of confidence.
          Compliments mean a lot when they come from those we
          respect.

          Margarita

          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html