Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Hi

  • Katy Jennings
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi Margarita,
      I am new to this list too, so I hope this isn't to forward of me, but I was just wondering why you feel that you have to send your daughter to preschool next year?  Compulsory education in NM doesn't begin until age 8, I think (maybe it is 7), so even if you don't homeschool you have some time.  Even if you send your daughter to kindergarten, that is a few years off.
      About not being organized, NM is a pretty easy state to homeschool in.  You only need to keep the notification to homeschool, immunization records, your diploma/degree, and they *suggest* that you maintain a "school" calendar, though the calendar is NOT required.  You do not have to maintain grade, attendance, or any other type of records.
      Relax and enjoy your daughter.   It is nice to "meet" you!  Smiley emoticon
      Katy in Alamo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        Hi Katy,

        Thanks for the greeting and the info. I guess I feel
        it's peer/family pressure and just the expectation
        that kids start preschool at 3 because all the family
        kids have. Also, all the usual things, kids can get
        bored at home, they need to get out, they need to:
        -interact with other kids, peer, adults on a
        consistent basis
        -learn to take turns
        -follow directions
        -share
        -work cooperatively
        -develop independence
        -nurture friendships {without me hovering :)}
        etc.

        Now, I know there are opportunities for learning this
        outside of preschool but the comments I get when I
        mention that I'm considering keeping her home and
        possibly homeschooling are always along the same
        lines:
        She'll be missing out on socializing with her peer
        group and being with other kids. I'll be isolating
        her. Basically, that she'll be missing out on an
        important social and cultural experience. I have to
        say the few times she's walked by preschool/ daycare
        rooms she peeks in and really wants to go in and I
        feel kind of selfish about wanting to HS.

        My other concern is that if I HS then a few years
        later we decide to send her to school that may be
        quite a culture shock. Social interactions between
        kids at school can be really rough! Of course we all
        have to learn to deal with different personalities but
        the question is how much variety and how early.

        Thanks for letting me ramble and for your input.

        Margarita

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          Welcome, Margarita. Hmm, do I know you from somewhere. The name sounds so
          familiar! Just kidding, of course, I know I know you.

          People who are against homeschooling love to bring up the socialization
          issue, but they fail to bring up the negative parts of socialization. It's
          not all positive. Here is a good response that I copied from a message
          board I visit:

          "Well, if my daughter stays in school I'm afriad she'll miss out on her
          family. I'm afraid we'll grow apart during her most important years. I'm
          afraid one day I'll wake up and find out my kids have been raised by
          teachers and taught by other kids. I'm afriad we will miss out on traveling
          because it won't suit the schools schedule. I'm afriad my kids will learn
          about sex, lies, backstabbing, prejudice, drugs and pain the HARD way. I'm
          also afriad they would miss out on the special things that happen in our
          everyday lives, just because you wouldn't want them to miss out on having a
          15 minute a day lunch with 20 other kids and an organized play time."

          Socialization in school isn't even "real world" socialization. In the "real
          world" people interact with others of all different ages during the day. I
          am looking forward to my children getting a lot of positive, real-world,
          cultural socialization through volunteer work do as a family. I also LOVE
          the fact that my children will spend their childhoods together and not
          running in different directions from school to after-school activities, etc.
          Anyway, here are a few links that discuss these issues:

          http://learninfreedom.org/socialization.html

          http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/zysk1.html

          http://www.tnhomeed.com/LRSocial.html

          http://guiltfreehomeschooling.blogspot.com/2004/05/socialization-and-why-you
          -dont-need-it.html

          http://www.hslda.org/research/ray2003/Socialization.asp

          http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/Social.htm

          http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/042998.htm

          Oh, and I am always jealous of those who started planning to homeschool
          early! I am now trying to catch up and learn everything I can as quickly as
          possible. I think you'd be an awesome homeschool mom!

          Melani Moore
        • Margarita
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
            Hi Melani!

            It's good to hear from you! I agree, socialization is
            a two-sided coin. It is amazing (and scary) what kids
            pick up at school not just from kids but substitute
            teachers. Also, each year is a gamble with teachers.
            Some out there are absolutely phonomenal but you just
            never know what you're going to get and I hate the
            thought of sacrificing a year in the life of my
            daughter.

            I love your answer and the points you bring up. I'm
            going to have to memorize some of it for when I start
            telling people I'm thinking of HS. I haven't really
            told anyone (other than hubby) because I can feel the
            wave of judgement coming as the eyes widen. I'm not
            informed enough yet to defend why I want to do this
            but with the help of this group I plan to get there.
            :)

            You are just a wealth of information! Thanks for the
            websites, I'll have plenty of homework to keep me busy
            for now. How do you find the time??

            Thank you so much for the vote of confidence.
            Compliments mean a lot when they come from those we
            respect.

            Margarita

            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html