Re: sped and homeschool

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
      Ami:

      I called LCPS Central Office this morning in an attempt to speak to
      Marguerite Quinonas (probably didn't spell her last name correctly).
      She wasn't available; however, I did speak with a coordinator named
      Baylor. He is over special ed. at Desert Hills. He has heard
      NOTHING to this effect. He did say that when we remove our children
      to homeschool we are in essence rejecting the district's offer of a
      Free and Appropriate Education. What that speech therapist may have
      been saying is since we have rejected this, we are rejecting
      services. That was Baylor's thinking. I don't think that's what she
      meant. Regardless, no on in LCPS is aware of this. Baylor is going
      to check into it and let me know if anything has changed. He said
      not to worry too much about it.

      I hope this helps. Please let me know if this speech therapist
      refuses to service your kids. I can put you in touch with a tough-as-
      nails parent advocate who will fix it for you.

      Katie

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"
      <amisegna1@...> wrote:

      > I couldn't find anything online either, butthis came from a speech
      therapist contracted by the schools - she said they got something
      from Santa Fe in September.

      Mexico
      > Legislature's 1st and 1st Special Sessions for 2007 and I read
      the
      > Education section and found nothing about the public schools not
      > being required to provide special ed services to homeschoolers.
      > However, I did find where they passed it where homeschoolers are
      > eligible to participate in one athletic activity at their home
      > district school. It's on page 43 (PDF). Go to:
      > http://legis.state.nm.us/lcs/misc/2007_highlights.pdf
      >
      > I'll see if I can find out more and let you know.
      >
      > Katie
      >
      > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"
      > <amisegna1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I heard this morning that New Mexico's legislature passed a law
      > saying school districts do not have to provide special ed
      services to
      > homeschoolers. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it
      violate
      > federal law?
      > >
      > > Alternately, has anyone had any success in getting Medicaid to
      pay
      > for services such as speech?

    • AMI SEGNA
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
        Thanks! Let me know what you find out. I know Las Cruces has MUCH better relationship with home schooling families than Alamogordo. It can be pretty hostile here! Our district also makes its own interpretations of laws all the time (for example, they regularly tell home school parents they HAVE to register here separately, not just on the state web site.)

        To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
        From: ekcfrench@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:20:49 +0000
        Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: sped and homeschool