sped and homeschool

  • Ami Segna
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
      I heard this morning that New Mexico's legislature passed a law saying school districts do not have to provide special ed services to homeschoolers. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it violate federal law?

      Alternately, has anyone had any success in getting Medicaid to pay for services such as speech?
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
        Ami:

        Where did you hear this? My son is currently receiving speech
        services at Desert Hills Elementary. In fact, we just had his IEP
        and nothing was mentioned about this.

        I do know that the school districts are not required to come to your
        home to provide services, although they will make partial effort to
        provide services to children attending private schools. If you want
        your child to receive full services, you must transport them to the
        school in your home district.

        I did a little bit of research and found a report of the New Mexico
        Legislature's 1st and 1st Special Sessions for 2007 and I read the
        Education section and found nothing about the public schools not
        being required to provide special ed services to homeschoolers.
        However, I did find where they passed it where homeschoolers are
        eligible to participate in one athletic activity at their home
        district school. It's on page 43 (PDF). Go to:
        http://legis.state.nm.us/lcs/misc/2007_highlights.pdf

        I'll see if I can find out more and let you know.

        Katie

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ami Segna"
        <amisegna1@...>
        wrote:

        > I heard this morning that New Mexico's legislature passed a law
        saying school districts do not have to provide special ed services to
        homeschoolers. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it violate
        federal law?

        > Alternately, has anyone had any success in getting Medicaid to pay
        for services such as speech?

      • Ami Segna
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
          I couldn't find anything online either, butthis came from a speech therapist contracted by the schools - she said they got something from Santa Fe in September.

          wrote:

          > I heard this morning that New Mexico's legislature passed a law
          saying school districts do not have to provide special ed services to
          homeschoolers. Does anyone know anything about this? Does it violate
          federal law?

          > Alternately, has anyone had any success in getting Medicaid to pay
          for services such as speech?

        • Katherine
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
            Ami:

            I called LCPS Central Office this morning in an attempt to speak to
            Marguerite Quinonas (probably didn't spell her last name correctly).
            She wasn't available; however, I did speak with a coordinator named
            Baylor. He is over special ed. at Desert Hills. He has heard
            NOTHING to this effect. He did say that when we remove our children
            to homeschool we are in essence rejecting the district's offer of a
            Free and Appropriate Education. What that speech therapist may have
            been saying is since we have rejected this, we are rejecting
            services. That was Baylor's thinking. I don't think that's what she
            meant. Regardless, no on in LCPS is aware of this. Baylor is going
            to check into it and let me know if anything has changed. He said
            not to worry too much about it.

            I hope this helps. Please let me know if this speech therapist
            refuses to service your kids. I can put you in touch with a tough-as-
            nails parent advocate who will fix it for you.

            <amisegna1@...> wrote:

            > I couldn't find anything online either, butthis came from a speech
            therapist contracted by the schools - she said they got something
            from Santa Fe in September.

          • AMI SEGNA
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
              Thanks! Let me know what you find out. I know Las Cruces has MUCH better relationship with home schooling families than Alamogordo. It can be pretty hostile here! Our district also makes its own interpretations of laws all the time (for example, they regularly tell home school parents they HAVE to register here separately, not just on the state web site.)

              To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
              From: ekcfrench@...
              Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:20:49 +0000