Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: need info on homeschooling

  • Ami Segna
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
      I'm a single mom with a full-time job, too, and currently homeschooling a five-year-old foster child. My mother watches all five kids during the day, and does a little bit - games with shapes and colors, etc., but I do most of it on my lunch hour and at night. When you boil down the productive parts of Kindergarten, one hour of actual instruction is plenty!

      We are mostly following the Alpha Omega Kinder program, which is just a couple pages a day in each book, with extension activities. I keep a green (because green means go) basket with things she can use on her own - books, a Leapster, letter flashcards, etc. The red basket is things she has to do with an adult - the Alpha Omega, handwriting practice, readers, etc.

      I have a two-week schedule listing things we WILL do each day, then extras for each day that will reinforce that day's lesson - if Grandma has time an energy, or if we can do them at night, great. If not, we still got the basics in. For example, last night we cut out shapes from construction paper and used them to make faces on our Jack-o-lanterns (easier, safer and lasts longer than carving!)

      We also go to a home school playgroup here in Alamo when I am off, and she just joined Daisy Girl Scouts.

      It's hard sometimes, and I stay up pretty late planning and preparing some nights, but I thik it's worth it.