Hi

  • Margarita
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi, I'm Margarita,

      I just joined. I'm a SAHM and we've lived in LC about 2 years. I have
      an almost-2 year old and I've been thinking about homeschooling but
      seriously doubt I have the organizational skills to pull it off.
      Honestly, I'm scared and intimidated by the thought but I don't really
      feel that I'll be ready to let go of her next year when it's time to
      ship her off to pre-school. I don't want my indecision or my lack of
      information to end up making my decision in the end so I want to learn
      as much as I can from the start. I am completely and absolutely
      uninformed about the subject so I'm eager to hear(or read) all
      opinions and suggestions. No tip or bit of information is too obvious
      for me. :) Looking forward to learning from and getting to know
      everyone.

      Margarita
    • Katy Jennings
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi Margarita,
        I am new to this list too, so I hope this isn't to forward of me, but I was just wondering why you feel that you have to send your daughter to preschool next year?  Compulsory education in NM doesn't begin until age 8, I think (maybe it is 7), so even if you don't homeschool you have some time.  Even if you send your daughter to kindergarten, that is a few years off.
        About not being organized, NM is a pretty easy state to homeschool in.  You only need to keep the notification to homeschool, immunization records, your diploma/degree, and they *suggest* that you maintain a "school" calendar, though the calendar is NOT required.  You do not have to maintain grade, attendance, or any other type of records.
        Relax and enjoy your daughter.   It is nice to "meet" you!  Smiley emoticon
        Katy in Alamo

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          Hi Katy,

          Thanks for the greeting and the info. I guess I feel
          it's peer/family pressure and just the expectation
          that kids start preschool at 3 because all the family
          kids have. Also, all the usual things, kids can get
          bored at home, they need to get out, they need to:
          -interact with other kids, peer, adults on a
          consistent basis
          -learn to take turns
          -follow directions
          -share
          -work cooperatively
          -develop independence
          -nurture friendships {without me hovering :)}
          etc.

          Now, I know there are opportunities for learning this
          outside of preschool but the comments I get when I
          mention that I'm considering keeping her home and
          possibly homeschooling are always along the same
          lines:
          She'll be missing out on socializing with her peer
          group and being with other kids. I'll be isolating
          her. Basically, that she'll be missing out on an
          important social and cultural experience. I have to
          say the few times she's walked by preschool/ daycare
          rooms she peeks in and really wants to go in and I
          feel kind of selfish about wanting to HS.

          My other concern is that if I HS then a few years
          later we decide to send her to school that may be
          quite a culture shock. Social interactions between
          kids at school can be really rough! Of course we all
          have to learn to deal with different personalities but
          the question is how much variety and how early.

          Thanks for letting me ramble and for your input.

          Margarita

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
            Welcome, Margarita. Hmm, do I know you from somewhere. The name sounds so
            familiar! Just kidding, of course, I know I know you.

            People who are against homeschooling love to bring up the socialization
            issue, but they fail to bring up the negative parts of socialization. It's
            not all positive. Here is a good response that I copied from a message
            board I visit:

            "Well, if my daughter stays in school I'm afriad she'll miss out on her
            family. I'm afraid we'll grow apart during her most important years. I'm
            afraid one day I'll wake up and find out my kids have been raised by
            teachers and taught by other kids. I'm afriad we will miss out on traveling
            because it won't suit the schools schedule. I'm afriad my kids will learn
            about sex, lies, backstabbing, prejudice, drugs and pain the HARD way. I'm
            also afriad they would miss out on the special things that happen in our
            everyday lives, just because you wouldn't want them to miss out on having a
            15 minute a day lunch with 20 other kids and an organized play time."

            Socialization in school isn't even "real world" socialization. In the "real
            world" people interact with others of all different ages during the day. I
            am looking forward to my children getting a lot of positive, real-world,
            cultural socialization through volunteer work do as a family. I also LOVE
            the fact that my children will spend their childhoods together and not
            running in different directions from school to after-school activities, etc.
            Anyway, here are a few links that discuss these issues:

            http://learninfreedom.org/socialization.html

            http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/zysk1.html

            http://www.tnhomeed.com/LRSocial.html

            http://guiltfreehomeschooling.blogspot.com/2004/05/socialization-and-why-you
            -dont-need-it.html

            http://www.hslda.org/research/ray2003/Socialization.asp

            http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/Social.htm

            http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/042998.htm

            Oh, and I am always jealous of those who started planning to homeschool
            early! I am now trying to catch up and learn everything I can as quickly as
            possible. I think you'd be an awesome homeschool mom!

            Melani Moore
          • Margarita
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
              Hi Melani!

              It's good to hear from you! I agree, socialization is
              a two-sided coin. It is amazing (and scary) what kids
              pick up at school not just from kids but substitute
              teachers. Also, each year is a gamble with teachers.
              Some out there are absolutely phonomenal but you just
              never know what you're going to get and I hate the
              thought of sacrificing a year in the life of my
              daughter.

              I love your answer and the points you bring up. I'm
              going to have to memorize some of it for when I start
              telling people I'm thinking of HS. I haven't really
              told anyone (other than hubby) because I can feel the
              wave of judgement coming as the eyes widen. I'm not
              informed enough yet to defend why I want to do this
              but with the help of this group I plan to get there.
              :)

              You are just a wealth of information! Thanks for the
              websites, I'll have plenty of homework to keep me busy
              for now. How do you find the time??

              Thank you so much for the vote of confidence.
              Compliments mean a lot when they come from those we
              respect.

              Margarita

              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html