need info on homeschooling

  • nancymaddn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2007
      Hi,

      My name is nancy and my son is interested in homeschooling he is 13 in
      the 8th grade. I really have no idea what i am doing. I was told that
      you can get into a co-op homeschooling???? My husband and I both work
      fulltime so i dont know where to start or how. Any help would be
      greatly apprecaited.

      Please HELP

      Nancy:)
    • Theresa "BK" Larson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
        Nancy,
        We don't live in Las Cruces but visit often, so we joined this list
        to keep up on the activities in that area. The 1st place I'd start
        if I were you is to meet with other moms in your community to see
        what activities they've got going on a regular basis. I think the
        moms in your area meet for Park Day every Wednesday morning. Unless
        that conflicts with your work schedule, you might begin there.

        There are other parents working full-time outside the home who
        successfully homeschool, but it takes alot of family co-
        operation,schedule co-ordination and support from other
        homeschoolers... especially in the beginning.

        Make ALL the contacts you can. There are MANY different ways to
        homeschool- everyone approaches it differently because all children
        have different needs- and every family their own goals. Don't be
        discouraged by groups that don't seem to be a "fit" for you and
        yours... just keep searching. It can be tough and time consuming-
        but it's ALWAYS interesting to share ideas and homeschooling styles
        with others. Finally finding a few like-minded fellow homeschoolers
        is worth all the initial chaos... try to enjoy the sometimes
        exhausting confusion while getting started. Keep an open mind, but
        don't be swayed or pressured by other's methods or to commitments
        that you know in your heart won't work for you. No one way is "THE
        right way"... every family finds their own rhythm and way of doing
        things. Feel free to contact me off-list with questions- anytime! I
        may not have the answers you need, but will be happy to share
        resources and offer "sister support" as you explore homeschooling.
        I've a 16 and a 7 still at home. We've experimented with both public
        and homeschooling for just over 10 years. It's quite the journey.
        Welcome!
        Theresa "BK" Larson
        lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "nancymaddn" <nancymaddn@...>

      • ritajunk@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2007
          Nancy,
          I am homeschooling some children(daughters - ages 12 and 14) around your sons age.
          This is my second year.  I started with a canned curriculum at first.. it really
          holds your hand.   Please email me if you have any questions.

          My son, Nick, is the reason I started on this path.  He was 7 and hated  school and
          begged me to homeschool him.   I spent so much time working with him in first grade that I am
          not sure if this is any more work.  My older children we sort of pushed into it :-)   I think they are relieved to not deal with peer pressure.

          We tried some cyberschooling.. I can tell you more about that if you want to know.

          Good Luck.

          Rita

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007

            Hi! Nancy!

            I am a divorced/single parent who works full time nights in the hospital and if I can do it anyone can!

            Email me anytime! I just got off work and so need to sleep for a minute! LOL!

            I will be glad to help you as much as I can. Plus besides homeschooling my boys I was actually homeschooled myself in highschool!

            Take care!

            Stacey

            --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "nancymaddn" <nancymaddn@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My name is nancy and my son is interested in homeschooling he is 13 in
            > the 8th grade. I really have no idea what i am doing. I was told that
            > you can get into a co-op homeschooling???? My husband and I both work
            > fulltime so i dont know where to start or how. Any help would be
            > greatly apprecaited.
            >
            > Please HELP
            >
            > Nancy:)

          • Ami Segna
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
              I'm a single mom with a full-time job, too, and currently homeschooling a five-year-old foster child. My mother watches all five kids during the day, and does a little bit - games with shapes and colors, etc., but I do most of it on my lunch hour and at night. When you boil down the productive parts of Kindergarten, one hour of actual instruction is plenty!

              We are mostly following the Alpha Omega Kinder program, which is just a couple pages a day in each book, with extension activities. I keep a green (because green means go) basket with things she can use on her own - books, a Leapster, letter flashcards, etc. The red basket is things she has to do with an adult - the Alpha Omega, handwriting practice, readers, etc.

              I have a two-week schedule listing things we WILL do each day, then extras for each day that will reinforce that day's lesson - if Grandma has time an energy, or if we can do them at night, great. If not, we still got the basics in. For example, last night we cut out shapes from construction paper and used them to make faces on our Jack-o-lanterns (easier, safer and lasts longer than carving!)

              We also go to a home school playgroup here in Alamo when I am off, and she just joined Daisy Girl Scouts.

              It's hard sometimes, and I stay up pretty late planning and preparing some nights, but I thik it's worth it.