Leasburg Dam - Family

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      Hi Everyone -

      It looks like we've all agreed that Sunday October 7th is convienent
      for our families to meet Leasburg Dam for some fun in the water and a
      cookout before cooler weather sets in. We should meet around 3:00
      pm. That will give us enough time before they close the park at 7:00
      pm. We can do a potluck or you can bring your own individual
      picnics. Potluck would be a lot of fun. There are grills we can use
      as well.

      If your family will be attending, please reply and if you want to
      bring something for the potluck, let us know what you'll be bringing
      so we don't have a bunch of potato salad.

      A note about food safety:

      The danger zone for ALL food is between 40 and 140 degrees. The
      temperature of cold food should NEVER rise above 40 degrees and the
      temperature of hot food should NEVER fall below 140 degrees. Believe
      it or not, coolers can hold heat as well as cold, they just can't do
      both at the same time. If you are planning to bring hot food, put it
      in a cooler and close the lid...KEEP IT CLOSED. It will hold your
      food at a safe temperature for hours. Another caution: If you're
      planning on bringing hot food, make sure that the size of your cooler
      is comparable to the size of the dish. It will be harder to hold
      heat for a 2 qt. casserole dish in a 60 qt. cooler. If you're
      concerned, you can always put hot packs (they sell them at Wal-Mart
      in the sports dept.) in the cooler. Put hot packs in the bottom of
      the cooler(heat rises). Put cold packs or ice on top of the food
      (cold air flows down).

      Pack your cold food in a separate cooler. If you're using ice,don't
      drain out the melted ice. The cold water will continue to work as an
      insulator, keeping everything nice and chilly.

      It is also dangerous to leave food out for more than 2 hours. ANY
      FOOD. So everything should stay in the coolers, hot or cold, until
      the time it will be eaten.

      Y'all probably already know all this, it's just the caterer in me
      that feels compelled to pass these safety tips along!

      Hope to see everyone there!

      Katie