Re: new here

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi Annamarie,

      You may already know this, but to set up a homeschool in New Mexico,
      all you have to do is contact the NM Department of Education and
      sumbit a form within 30 days of starting your homeschool.

      We are getting ready to mail our back to the NM Dept. of Education.
      You can submit it over the internet too. The website says: "You may
      submit your home school notification form electronically by filling
      out the Online Notification Form or to have a form mailed or faxed to
      you may contact the Alternative Education Unit by calling (505) 827-6909."
      I just called the phone # and had them mail the form to me.

      Also in the FAQ: "Will I receive verification that my home school
      notification form was received? If you submitted your form through
      our website you will receive an automatic confirmation response. If
      you'd like to receive a letter of verification to be sent to you via
      regular mail, you will need to contact the Alternative Education Unit
      by calling (505) 827-6909 or by sending a request via email to:
      alarkin@...."

      My wife and I also have a 5 year old, Penelope, and a 9 mo. old,
      Alban. Maybe Penelope and Skyler can get together to play sometime
      after you are settled in since they are the same age.

      We will be unschooling Penelope starting this summer (officially). We
      have been unschooling or seizing those "teachable moments" when she is
      interested in something to answer her questions, fulfill her
      curiosity, etc.

      BTW, thanks to all those who wrote in about their unschooling
      experiences in the last few postings. It was nice to hear what others
      experience has been.

      I have heard that if you show your homeschool form to:

      1) Public school libraries in Las Cruces, you can check out books.

      2) Barnes and Noble, you get a homeschool discount

      But I have no confirmation of this and haven't done it myself. If
      someone else has I would like to hear if this is true.

      Hope to meet you sometime,

      Bruce
      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "annamarierw"
      <annamarierw@y...> wrote:
      > Hello All!!
      > My name is Annamarie Waldon.
      > I am a stay @ home mom with two daughters. Skyler 5 and Taylor 3.
      > We live in Alamogordo right now but my husbands work is changing over
      > to Las Cruces in the next couple of months. I also have lots of family
      > there so we visit often.We have been considering homeschooling for
      > some time now and have decided to start Skyler this year if we can get
      > enough information in time. I have looked all over the internet and
      > have read alot of info, but mostly I seem to just get ran around in
      > circles. I am sooo glad to have finally found a group that is non-
      > religious based. Thanks for any help in advance.
      > Annamarie
      > Waldon
    • annamarierw
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        Yes,I have already signed up via the internet but I still need to get
        the written confermation.
        I told Skyler about Penelope and she is sooo excited to have a "new
        friend" as she calls her ...even tho they have never met LOL.
        We will be down next weekend to visit some family and would love to
        make a play date. Will let you know the exact days so we can get
        together. The Barnes and Noble is true but am not sure about the
        library.
        Annamarie
        Waldon