curriculum suggestions?

  • Ami Segna
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24 10:14 PM
      We have a new foster child, five years old, who I have miraculously been given permission to home school. She is a little behind, but doesn't seem to have any learning disabilities. I am unofficially using Five in a Row (with lots of my own extensions) with my preschoolers, but since this is 'official', and will probably be watched closely, I want to use (or say I'm using!) an "official" curriculum. If the powers that be are happy with what we do, it can pave the way for a lot of other foster kids! Any suggestions? It can be religious or secular. I'm not crazy about Abeka's, but don't know anything about any others.
    • Larson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25 5:56 AM
        This is exciting news!!!!!
        I am running at a fast pace this AM but do have two suggestions you may or may not be familiar with and will be happy to get with you later (online or in-person) to discuss finding something that works. There's the LIVE ED program (Waldorf inspired- but you can tweak it to fit your needs- I'm not a big fan of the delayed reading thing...so I'd toss THAT part but I love the creative approaches to meeting age appropriate developmental needs/stages.)... And for records, you absolutely CAN'T BEAT the online HOMESCHOOL TRACKER... easy to use data entry that produces complete, impressive (for school #'s sort of folks) varied reports that make even the most chaotic and questionable of our homeschool days seem more "officially acceptable" and provide paper proof of productivity & progress.
        Hooray to you!
        and Continued Love & Luck to you & Yours!
        Theresa "BK" Larson

        Ami Segna <amisegna1@...> wrote:
        We have a new foster child, five years old, who I have miraculously been given permission to home school. She is a little behind, but doesn't seem to have any learning disabilities. I am unofficially using Five in a Row (with lots of my own extensions) with my preschoolers, but since this is 'official', and will probably be watched closely, I want to use (or say I'm using!) an "official" curriculum. If the powers that be are happy with what we do, it can pave the way for a lot of other foster kids! Any suggestions? It can be religious or secular. I'm not crazy about Abeka's, but don't know anything about any others.

      • cassieandmom
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27 6:44 AM
          Ami,
          Were you able to find curriculum resources to fit your needs?
          It's been awhile since we've done pre-school around here, but I am
          SO excited to hear about the possibilities of homeschooling being
          available to foster children... I'm eager to check with those I know
          who might be homeschooling in that age group to help you find
          something that will work (read that: meet state approval)for you as
          you pave the way as a pioneer in this area! I can't think of
          ANYTHING else that might best meet the special needs of foster
          children than the individualized loving one-on-one attention
          homeschooling can provide, and it has often puzzled me that the
          option has always been met with such disapproval. I'm SO excited for
          you & yours, interested in how things move forward and how the rest
          of us might best support you in your groundbreaking efforts.
          Theresa "BK" Larson
          also can be reached at : newmeximom@...

          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Larson
          <cassieandmom@...> wrote:

          > This is exciting news!!!!!
          > I am running at a fast pace this AM but do have two suggestions
          you may or may not be familiar with and will be happy to get with
          you later (online or in-person) to discuss finding something that
          works. There's the LIVE ED program (Waldorf inspired- but you can
          tweak it to fit your needs- I'm not a big fan of the delayed reading
          thing...so I'd toss THAT part but I love the creative approaches to
          meeting age appropriate developmental needs/stages.)... And for
          records, you absolutely CAN'T BEAT the online HOMESCHOOL TRACKER...
          easy to use data entry that produces complete, impressive (for
          school #'s sort of folks) varied reports that make even the most
          chaotic and questionable of our homeschool days seem
          more "officially acceptable" and provide paper proof of productivity
          & progress.
          > Hooray to you!
          > and Continued Love & Luck to you & Yours!
          > Theresa "BK" Larson
          >
          > Ami Segna <amisegna1@...> wrote:
          > We have a new foster child, five years old, who I have
          miraculously been given permission to home school. She is a little
          behind, but doesn't seem to have any learning disabilities. I am
          unofficially using Five in a Row (with lots of my own extensions)
          with my preschoolers, but since this is 'official', and will
          probably be watched closely, I want to use (or say I'm using!)
          an "official" curriculum. If the powers that be are happy with what
          we do, it can pave the way for a lot of other foster kids! Any
          suggestions? It can be religious or secular. I'm not crazy about
          Abeka's, but don't know anything about any others.

          > ---------------------------------
          > Check out the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.

        • AMI SEGNA
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27 7:40 AM
            We are excited, too! She is so far behind, just from lack of attention, that we know she is going to show huge gains, which can only help the home schooling cause. I spoke with her teacher, who is very happy she is being home schooled, another big plus!

            I have ordered some Alpha and Omega k5 materials, and in the meantime we are learning routines and exectations. She is a very busy little girl, and has a hard time staying where she is told and doing what she is told - not intentionally bad, just not used to grown-ups following through, or being expected to do anything herself. Last night we practiced writing her name, and she showed a lot of improvement in just a few tries - went from huge wide shapes she wasn't really looking at, to a very readable version. We will be meeting up with a homeschool group here at the park on Friday, and I am looking into Daisy Scouts. Now to work on brother's speech...

            To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
            From: cassieandmom@...
            Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:44:19 +0000
            Subject: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: Ami- curriculum suggestions?