Re: [lascruceshomeschool] un-schooling???

  • Katy Jennings
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      Unschooling is an absence of forced learning.  We go where our interests carry us.  We go to lots of museums, parks, the library, the zoo, I leave books, artifacts, games, etc. around the house for my son to find, I tell him about things I know or have just learned, I get movies and games that I think he will like, or ones that I like!  We went to the Alamo at the end of last year, and now Richard's favorite movie (at the moment) is The Alamo.  That and Monty Python and the Holy Grail!  <g>

      We have days that are just packed with stuff, it seem that we are so busy, then there are days that it looks like we are not doing anything.  Right now I am in the process of rearranging my bedroom, after painting it.  So, though we are not out going places, Richard is out studying the mice that live in our flowerbed.  Yeah, he is just watching them,  but he is learning a lot.  He came in asking what they eat, I told him what they like best, so he loaded a live trap with apples and peanut butter and seeds.  We love them, but don¬ít want them in the house so we will relocate them to the desert.   Today he has also made his own lightsaber, fed the birds, identified some of the birds who eat at our house, played some volleyball with the neighborhood kids, and mused about his friends' parents who decide that when the kids are having the most fun is the perfect time to do chores.   And it is only almost 1pm.  And he woke up at 9:30.

      The bottom line is that I do not force him to do "school work."  He (and I, because I am always learning!) learns by living life!  I also try to live by principles rather than rules.  We are having this exact same discussion on another list that I am on!  Life is funny.

      Katy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hi Annamarie,

        You may already know this, but to set up a homeschool in New Mexico,
        all you have to do is contact the NM Department of Education and
        sumbit a form within 30 days of starting your homeschool.

        We are getting ready to mail our back to the NM Dept. of Education.
        You can submit it over the internet too. The website says: "You may
        submit your home school notification form electronically by filling
        out the Online Notification Form or to have a form mailed or faxed to
        you may contact the Alternative Education Unit by calling (505) 827-6909."
        I just called the phone # and had them mail the form to me.

        Also in the FAQ: "Will I receive verification that my home school
        notification form was received? If you submitted your form through
        our website you will receive an automatic confirmation response. If
        you'd like to receive a letter of verification to be sent to you via
        regular mail, you will need to contact the Alternative Education Unit
        by calling (505) 827-6909 or by sending a request via email to:
        alarkin@...."

        My wife and I also have a 5 year old, Penelope, and a 9 mo. old,
        Alban. Maybe Penelope and Skyler can get together to play sometime
        after you are settled in since they are the same age.

        We will be unschooling Penelope starting this summer (officially). We
        have been unschooling or seizing those "teachable moments" when she is
        interested in something to answer her questions, fulfill her
        curiosity, etc.

        BTW, thanks to all those who wrote in about their unschooling
        experiences in the last few postings. It was nice to hear what others
        experience has been.

        I have heard that if you show your homeschool form to:

        1) Public school libraries in Las Cruces, you can check out books.

        2) Barnes and Noble, you get a homeschool discount

        But I have no confirmation of this and haven't done it myself. If
        someone else has I would like to hear if this is true.

        Hope to meet you sometime,

        Bruce
        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "annamarierw"
        <annamarierw@y...> wrote:
        > Hello All!!
        > My name is Annamarie Waldon.
        > I am a stay @ home mom with two daughters. Skyler 5 and Taylor 3.
        > We live in Alamogordo right now but my husbands work is changing over
        > to Las Cruces in the next couple of months. I also have lots of family
        > there so we visit often.We have been considering homeschooling for
        > some time now and have decided to start Skyler this year if we can get
        > enough information in time. I have looked all over the internet and
        > have read alot of info, but mostly I seem to just get ran around in
        > circles. I am sooo glad to have finally found a group that is non-
        > religious based. Thanks for any help in advance.
        > Annamarie
        > Waldon
      • annamarierw
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          Yes,I have already signed up via the internet but I still need to get
          the written confermation.
          I told Skyler about Penelope and she is sooo excited to have a "new
          friend" as she calls her ...even tho they have never met LOL.
          We will be down next weekend to visit some family and would love to
          make a play date. Will let you know the exact days so we can get
          together. The Barnes and Noble is true but am not sure about the
          library.
          Annamarie
          Waldon