unschooling

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi, and welcome to those of you who are new.  My name is Melani, and I have a 6 year old son and a 20 month old daughter.  I never planned to be a homeschooler, but after sending my son to a local public school kindergarten class for several months, I pulled him out.  I now plan to homeschool for as long as it works for all of us.  We love it so far!

      My understanding of unschooling is that it is completely child-led learning, based on the child's interests at the time.   Unschoolers do not use any curriculum or follow a schedule about when skills should be acquired or when learning should take place.

      I'm not quite brave enough to completely unschool.  I, instead, am a fairly eclectic homeschooler.  We will use a math curriculum and possibly a spelling/grammar curriculum from time to time.  Other than that, we are going to read lots of great literature and explore my son's interests.  Most of our learning will be through regular life.

      Again, welcome!

      Melani
    • annamarierw
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        Melani,
        Thanks for the info..... I agree with you on the Unschooling... I
        would like to have a few curriculum guides,but still not have it so
        structured. There are so many curriculums out there, which one is the
        best?? Most of the people I have talked to say "I depends on which one
        suits you and you family best." Well Duh! That just doesn't help much.
        I can't very well go out and buy all different ones to try them out.
        Sorry I think my frustration is starting to show.LOL
        When is the next time everyone is getting together so I can try to
        make it to Cruces. Can't wait to meet you all.
        Annamarie
        Waldon

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
          Annamarie,

          I definitely know what you mean about curriculums! We went to the
          curriculum fair and conference in Albuquerque in April, so we got to look
          through lots of book, attend workshops, and get some catalogs. I was having
          a really hard time deciding what to do about math. My son is really good at
          math and gets new concepts really quickly. I attended 3 different math
          workshops put on by different curriculum vendors. I learned that none of
          them were for us! I finally found Singapore and Miquon, which move quickly
          and are more advanced than some out there. The workbooks are pretty cheap,
          so I ordered one from each company. My son loves them! He did 30 pages one
          day on his own on a non-school day.

          Yesterday he was looking at the Singapore textbook, and he told me that 4x2
          is 8. He understood the concept of multiplication after looking at that one
          page. Of course, he doesn't have all the facts memorized, but he gets the
          concept. That's pretty good for a kid who just finished kindergarten.
          Anyway, I am very happy with both Singapore and Miquon math so far.

          Other than that, I'm still searching! Have you seen the vegie-source
          website? They have a homeschooling section with a swap board. You can find
          some good deals for books and curriculum.

          Melani
        • Katy Jennings
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
            Unschooling is an absence of forced learning.  We go where our interests carry us.  We go to lots of museums, parks, the library, the zoo, I leave books, artifacts, games, etc. around the house for my son to find, I tell him about things I know or have just learned, I get movies and games that I think he will like, or ones that I like!  We went to the Alamo at the end of last year, and now Richard's favorite movie (at the moment) is The Alamo.  That and Monty Python and the Holy Grail!  <g>

            We have days that are just packed with stuff, it seem that we are so busy, then there are days that it looks like we are not doing anything.  Right now I am in the process of rearranging my bedroom, after painting it.  So, though we are not out going places, Richard is out studying the mice that live in our flowerbed.  Yeah, he is just watching them,  but he is learning a lot.  He came in asking what they eat, I told him what they like best, so he loaded a live trap with apples and peanut butter and seeds.  We love them, but don¬ít want them in the house so we will relocate them to the desert.   Today he has also made his own lightsaber, fed the birds, identified some of the birds who eat at our house, played some volleyball with the neighborhood kids, and mused about his friends' parents who decide that when the kids are having the most fun is the perfect time to do chores.   And it is only almost 1pm.  And he woke up at 9:30.

            The bottom line is that I do not force him to do "school work."  He (and I, because I am always learning!) learns by living life!  I also try to live by principles rather than rules.  We are having this exact same discussion on another list that I am on!  Life is funny.

            Katy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              Hi Annamarie,

              You may already know this, but to set up a homeschool in New Mexico,
              all you have to do is contact the NM Department of Education and
              sumbit a form within 30 days of starting your homeschool.

              We are getting ready to mail our back to the NM Dept. of Education.
              You can submit it over the internet too. The website says: "You may
              submit your home school notification form electronically by filling
              out the Online Notification Form or to have a form mailed or faxed to
              you may contact the Alternative Education Unit by calling (505) 827-6909."
              I just called the phone # and had them mail the form to me.

              Also in the FAQ: "Will I receive verification that my home school
              notification form was received? If you submitted your form through
              our website you will receive an automatic confirmation response. If
              you'd like to receive a letter of verification to be sent to you via
              regular mail, you will need to contact the Alternative Education Unit
              by calling (505) 827-6909 or by sending a request via email to:
              alarkin@...."

              My wife and I also have a 5 year old, Penelope, and a 9 mo. old,
              Alban. Maybe Penelope and Skyler can get together to play sometime
              after you are settled in since they are the same age.

              We will be unschooling Penelope starting this summer (officially). We
              have been unschooling or seizing those "teachable moments" when she is
              interested in something to answer her questions, fulfill her
              curiosity, etc.

              BTW, thanks to all those who wrote in about their unschooling
              experiences in the last few postings. It was nice to hear what others
              experience has been.

              I have heard that if you show your homeschool form to:

              1) Public school libraries in Las Cruces, you can check out books.

              2) Barnes and Noble, you get a homeschool discount

              But I have no confirmation of this and haven't done it myself. If
              someone else has I would like to hear if this is true.

              Hope to meet you sometime,

              Bruce
              --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "annamarierw"
              <annamarierw@y...> wrote:
              > Hello All!!
              > My name is Annamarie Waldon.
              > I am a stay @ home mom with two daughters. Skyler 5 and Taylor 3.
              > We live in Alamogordo right now but my husbands work is changing over
              > to Las Cruces in the next couple of months. I also have lots of family
              > there so we visit often.We have been considering homeschooling for
              > some time now and have decided to start Skyler this year if we can get
              > enough information in time. I have looked all over the internet and
              > have read alot of info, but mostly I seem to just get ran around in
              > circles. I am sooo glad to have finally found a group that is non-
              > religious based. Thanks for any help in advance.
              > Annamarie
              > Waldon
            • annamarierw
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                Yes,I have already signed up via the internet but I still need to get
                the written confermation.
                I told Skyler about Penelope and she is sooo excited to have a "new
                friend" as she calls her ...even tho they have never met LOL.
                We will be down next weekend to visit some family and would love to
                make a play date. Will let you know the exact days so we can get
                together. The Barnes and Noble is true but am not sure about the
                library.
                Annamarie
                Waldon