A little cheat sheet

  • s_preville
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
      I know I have a lot of kids and a couple of them have unusual names
      so I thought I'd put a quick little list up for those of you who are
      visual learners and will remember better that way.

      Elijah- 9 (I always thought Elijah Woods was a cute little kid. I
      had no idea he'd later grow up to be in such a popular role or else I
      never would have gone with that name, I swear)

      Alisdare- 6 (We call him Dare for short. I got his name from a
      romance novel. The irony of it was that I misremembered it so it's
      basically completely made up.)

      Trevyn- 4 (Another romance novel pick. Just to defend myself, I only
      really read romance novels when I'm pregnant and weepy.
      Unfortunately, that's also when I'm in the market for a name.)

      Thaddeus- 3 months today (I worked at the cable company while I was
      pregnant with him and saw a lot of names during the course of my
      day. Somewhere along the way Thad worked it's way into my short list
      and my husband didn't hate it. My first pick for the last 3
      pregnancies would have been "Phineas", but my husband vetos it every
      time. Thad at least had that same feel and he didn't put up much of
      a fight. Unfortunately, he can't remember it and mostly calls
      him "Thadamus".)

      That's everyone and why they have the names they do. When you pick
      weird names you spend a lot of time answering the question where did
      you get that from? If anyone else feels like sharing thier stories
      I'd love to hear them.

      Sabrina
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
        Okay, I've only got 2 but the stories of their names may be just as
        fun.

        My husband and I decided on a girl's name before we decided when to
        start having children. When I was expecting my son and we knew he
        was a boy, we just couldn't agree. I think I told some of you that
        we went back and forth on names. He wasn't very jazzed about the
        name Cameron, which I was leaning toward. Finally, we agreed to put
        names on slips of paper and put them in a hat and just pick one.
        This is all because I'm such an Elton John fantatic and around that
        time he had a song out "Blessed". One line of the song says, "I'll
        pick your name from a hat..." I stuffed the hat with slips of paper
        that all said "Cameron"...hahahahaha. His middle name, Galen, is my
        father's middle name. My hormones were so crazy we even painted
        Cameron's room "Philadelphia Freedom Green". No joke...bought the
        paint at Sear's. I still love Elton John.

        With Caitlin, we already had her name picked out. People think she's
        named for me but she's actually named for my grandmother whose name
        was Catherine and she was called Katie for short. My mother named me
        Katherine and I'm called Katie for short. Caitlin actually means
        Catherine in Gaelic. When I realized both our kids' names start with
        a "C", I thought Caitlin's middle name should start with a "G". So,
        her middle name is Grace.

        If you look at my kids' names, they have the exact same amount of
        letters in their names.

        Cameron Galen
        Caitlin Grace

        That was actually a coincidence. They're gonna hate us once they
        figure that one out!

        That's our story.

        Katie

        P.S.: Sabrina - The website you need to go to in order to register
        your kids for homeschool is: http://nmhomeschools.org

        Click on "online notification form".

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "s_preville"
        <s_preville@...> wrote:

        > I know I have a lot of kids and a couple of them have unusual names
        > so I thought I'd put a quick little list up for those of you who
        are
        > visual learners and will remember better that way.
        >
        > Elijah- 9 (I always thought Elijah Woods was a cute little kid. I
        > had no idea he'd later grow up to be in such a popular role or else
        > never would have gone with that name, I swear)
        >
        > Alisdare- 6 (We call him Dare for short. I got his name from a
        > romance novel. The irony of it was that I misremembered it so it's
        > basically completely made up.)
        >
        > Trevyn- 4 (Another romance novel pick. Just to defend myself, I
        only
        > really read romance novels when I'm pregnant and weepy.
        > Unfortunately, that's also when I'm in the market for a name.)
        >
        > Thaddeus- 3 months today (I worked at the cable company while I was
        > pregnant with him and saw a lot of names during the course of my
        > day. Somewhere along the way Thad worked it's way into my short
        list
        > and my husband didn't hate it. My first pick for the last 3
        > pregnancies would have been "Phineas", but my husband vetos it
        every
        > time. Thad at least had that same feel and he didn't put up much
        of
        > a fight. Unfortunately, he can't remember it and mostly calls
        > him "Thadamus".)
        >
        > That's everyone and why they have the names they do. When you pick
        > weird names you spend a lot of time answering the question where
        did
        > you get that from? If anyone else feels like sharing thier stories
        > I'd love to hear them.
        >
        > Sabrina

      • s_preville
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
          "This is all because I'm such an Elton John fantatic and around that
          time he had a song out "Blessed". One line of the song says, "I'll
          pick your name from a hat..." I stuffed the hat with slips of paper
          that all said "Cameron"...hahahahaha."

          Ha! That's so cute. Too bad he's a boy. My husband assures me that
          my boys won't appreciate all the goofy little things I write down to
          remind them about in 20 years. I keep my list anyway because I figure
          someday they'll have girlfriends and wives and I'm sure they'll see the
          humor in the stories.

          My personal favorite was when I was hugging Trev really tight one time
          and wouldn't let him go. He stretched out his hand to Elijah and
          yells "Help! Help me! I'm stuck to mommy!" You bet I'm going to trot
          that gem out every time he brings a girl home.