Intro and Disney Field Trip

  • angelinerock
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      My name is Angeline Rock (yes, that's my real name, my husband
      manages a concrete cutting business too!) and I live in Arizona –
      next to Laughlin. My kids are Chance (15 ds) and Evie (12dd). I
      have been educating my children at home for almost 5 years, and
      except for the lack of social opportunities here, it's been
      wonderful. Recently, a friend of mine organized a new 6-state home
      educators association and asked me to be field trip coordinator
      (probably because I am so passionate about getting homeschooled kids
      together, lol).

      My duties will include traveling around the 6 member-states and
      visiting with group leaders. We want to promote home education on
      all levels, and hear about your concerns and share your enthusiasm.

      I love to converse with people about any social opportunity that
      involves home educated kids – and our first field trip I wanted to
      be a big event – to kick off the "year" (most homeschoolers don't
      have a start and stop year, but some do). I think Disneyland is
      pretty big! So, our first Not-Back-To-School-Days has been booked
      for September 24 and 25, 2007 and we are taking part in Disneyland's
      new Youth Education Series.

      Please feel free to email me with any comments – and I hope to meet
      some of you real soon at one of your activities, or one of ours!
      Thanks for letting me join your group.

      Angeline Rock
      Field Trip Coordinator
      Southwest Home Educators Association
      www.southwest-home-education.com
    • angelinerock
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2007
        Everything you want to know about SHEA's Not Back to School Days at
        Disneyland can be found on our website - remember that sometimes Yahoo
        does not let you click on a link in an email, or they insert spaces
        where they are not supposed to be. You may have to copy and paste the
        link into your browser, or type it in:

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2007
          Do you have questions or concerns about the SHEA's Not Back to
          School Days at Disneyland? Please ask them – even what you think
          might be the silliest question, someone else is certainly wondering
          the same thing! For those of you who have already booked,
          encourage your children who are going on the trip to participate
          while in their YES class by asking questions to the Disneyland
          instructor as well, and give feedback when the opportunity arises.
          Many tour operators historically report that home educated children
          are much more pleasant to have in class because they participate and
          add to the experience.

          Check the updates on our website to see how many spots are open for
          each Youth Education Series class, and be sure to read the Disney
          FAQ page. Our latest question:
          "Why are you doing this trip in the beginning of the year versus the
          end of the year?"
          Answer: Because many public schools flood the park with a
          Disneyland trip at the end of the year – we wanted this event to be
          special for home educated kids and their families. Since most
          public schools won't be doing anything like this in September, we
          felt is was a great way to kick off our "Not Back to School" time.
          Let's all get together and show our strength in numbers!

          Remember that everything you want to know about SHEA's Not Back to