new here

  • annamarierw
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello All!!
      My name is Annamarie Waldon.
      I am a stay @ home mom with two daughters. Skyler 5 and Taylor 3.
      We live in Alamogordo right now but my husbands work is changing over
      to Las Cruces in the next couple of months. I also have lots of family
      there so we visit often.We have been considering homeschooling for
      some time now and have decided to start Skyler this year if we can get
      enough information in time. I have looked all over the internet and
      have read alot of info, but mostly I seem to just get ran around in
      circles. I am sooo glad to have finally found a group that is non-
      religious based. Thanks for any help in advance.
      Annamarie
      Waldon
    • Katy Jennings
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hello,
        I joined this list recently and I can't remember if I introduced myself.  I don't think so.

        I live in Alamogordo.  I am a single parent to a 9yo boy who has never been to school.  I work full time, but I work long days so that I only have to work 3 days a week.  We unschool and are not religious.  It is nice to "meet" you all.

        Katy Jennings
      • annamarierw
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
          Nice to meet you Katy,
          What exactally is Un-schooling?? Any help you could give to help us
          get started would be greatly appreciated... My husband also works
          4days on/3 days off, so he will be helping me with the school. I have
          great respect for you working AND schooling your child.. and I thought
          that I was streched thin. I really don't see how you don't go
          crazy...LOL. Anyway can't wait to meet you all.
          Annamarie
          Waldon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
            Hi, and welcome to those of you who are new.  My name is Melani, and I have a 6 year old son and a 20 month old daughter.  I never planned to be a homeschooler, but after sending my son to a local public school kindergarten class for several months, I pulled him out.  I now plan to homeschool for as long as it works for all of us.  We love it so far!

            My understanding of unschooling is that it is completely child-led learning, based on the child's interests at the time.   Unschoolers do not use any curriculum or follow a schedule about when skills should be acquired or when learning should take place.

            I'm not quite brave enough to completely unschool.  I, instead, am a fairly eclectic homeschooler.  We will use a math curriculum and possibly a spelling/grammar curriculum from time to time.  Other than that, we are going to read lots of great literature and explore my son's interests.  Most of our learning will be through regular life.

            Again, welcome!

            Melani
          • annamarierw
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
              Melani,
              Thanks for the info..... I agree with you on the Unschooling... I
              would like to have a few curriculum guides,but still not have it so
              structured. There are so many curriculums out there, which one is the
              best?? Most of the people I have talked to say "I depends on which one
              suits you and you family best." Well Duh! That just doesn't help much.
              I can't very well go out and buy all different ones to try them out.
              Sorry I think my frustration is starting to show.LOL
              When is the next time everyone is getting together so I can try to
              make it to Cruces. Can't wait to meet you all.
              Annamarie
              Waldon

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                Annamarie,

                I definitely know what you mean about curriculums! We went to the
                curriculum fair and conference in Albuquerque in April, so we got to look
                through lots of book, attend workshops, and get some catalogs. I was having
                a really hard time deciding what to do about math. My son is really good at
                math and gets new concepts really quickly. I attended 3 different math
                workshops put on by different curriculum vendors. I learned that none of
                them were for us! I finally found Singapore and Miquon, which move quickly
                and are more advanced than some out there. The workbooks are pretty cheap,
                so I ordered one from each company. My son loves them! He did 30 pages one
                day on his own on a non-school day.

                Yesterday he was looking at the Singapore textbook, and he told me that 4x2
                is 8. He understood the concept of multiplication after looking at that one
                page. Of course, he doesn't have all the facts memorized, but he gets the
                concept. That's pretty good for a kid who just finished kindergarten.
                Anyway, I am very happy with both Singapore and Miquon math so far.

                Other than that, I'm still searching! Have you seen the vegie-source
                website? They have a homeschooling section with a swap board. You can find
                some good deals for books and curriculum.

                Melani
              • Katy Jennings
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Unschooling is an absence of forced learning.  We go where our interests carry us.  We go to lots of museums, parks, the library, the zoo, I leave books, artifacts, games, etc. around the house for my son to find, I tell him about things I know or have just learned, I get movies and games that I think he will like, or ones that I like!  We went to the Alamo at the end of last year, and now Richard's favorite movie (at the moment) is The Alamo.  That and Monty Python and the Holy Grail!  <g>

                  We have days that are just packed with stuff, it seem that we are so busy, then there are days that it looks like we are not doing anything.  Right now I am in the process of rearranging my bedroom, after painting it.  So, though we are not out going places, Richard is out studying the mice that live in our flowerbed.  Yeah, he is just watching them,  but he is learning a lot.  He came in asking what they eat, I told him what they like best, so he loaded a live trap with apples and peanut butter and seeds.  We love them, but don¬ít want them in the house so we will relocate them to the desert.   Today he has also made his own lightsaber, fed the birds, identified some of the birds who eat at our house, played some volleyball with the neighborhood kids, and mused about his friends' parents who decide that when the kids are having the most fun is the perfect time to do chores.   And it is only almost 1pm.  And he woke up at 9:30.

                  The bottom line is that I do not force him to do "school work."  He (and I, because I am always learning!) learns by living life!  I also try to live by principles rather than rules.  We are having this exact same discussion on another list that I am on!  Life is funny.

                  Katy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Hi Annamarie,

                    You may already know this, but to set up a homeschool in New Mexico,
                    all you have to do is contact the NM Department of Education and
                    sumbit a form within 30 days of starting your homeschool.

                    We are getting ready to mail our back to the NM Dept. of Education.
                    You can submit it over the internet too. The website says: "You may
                    submit your home school notification form electronically by filling
                    out the Online Notification Form or to have a form mailed or faxed to
                    you may contact the Alternative Education Unit by calling (505) 827-6909."
                    I just called the phone # and had them mail the form to me.

                    Also in the FAQ: "Will I receive verification that my home school
                    notification form was received? If you submitted your form through
                    our website you will receive an automatic confirmation response. If
                    you'd like to receive a letter of verification to be sent to you via
                    regular mail, you will need to contact the Alternative Education Unit
                    by calling (505) 827-6909 or by sending a request via email to:
                    alarkin@...."

                    My wife and I also have a 5 year old, Penelope, and a 9 mo. old,
                    Alban. Maybe Penelope and Skyler can get together to play sometime
                    after you are settled in since they are the same age.

                    We will be unschooling Penelope starting this summer (officially). We
                    have been unschooling or seizing those "teachable moments" when she is
                    interested in something to answer her questions, fulfill her
                    curiosity, etc.

                    BTW, thanks to all those who wrote in about their unschooling
                    experiences in the last few postings. It was nice to hear what others
                    experience has been.

                    I have heard that if you show your homeschool form to:

                    1) Public school libraries in Las Cruces, you can check out books.

                    2) Barnes and Noble, you get a homeschool discount

                    But I have no confirmation of this and haven't done it myself. If
                    someone else has I would like to hear if this is true.

                    Hope to meet you sometime,

                    Bruce
                    --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "annamarierw"
                    <annamarierw@y...> wrote:
                    > Hello All!!
                    > My name is Annamarie Waldon.
                    > I am a stay @ home mom with two daughters. Skyler 5 and Taylor 3.
                    > We live in Alamogordo right now but my husbands work is changing over
                    > to Las Cruces in the next couple of months. I also have lots of family
                    > there so we visit often.We have been considering homeschooling for
                    > some time now and have decided to start Skyler this year if we can get
                    > enough information in time. I have looked all over the internet and
                    > have read alot of info, but mostly I seem to just get ran around in
                    > circles. I am sooo glad to have finally found a group that is non-
                    > religious based. Thanks for any help in advance.
                    > Annamarie
                    > Waldon
                  • annamarierw
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Yes,I have already signed up via the internet but I still need to get
                      the written confermation.
                      I told Skyler about Penelope and she is sooo excited to have a "new
                      friend" as she calls her ...even tho they have never met LOL.
                      We will be down next weekend to visit some family and would love to
                      make a play date. Will let you know the exact days so we can get
                      together. The Barnes and Noble is true but am not sure about the
                      library.
                      Annamarie
                      Waldon